1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 BBP audio build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Man of Steel TRD, May 2, 2016.

1. May 3, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD [OP] Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    So I did read it right. I needed my subs to think they were in a little bigger box so I did the polyfil and they actually hit much lower thanot i ever thought they would. You are lucky that you don't have those vents in the back wall to contend with so you can make a bigger box. Have you looked into any prefab boxes?

2. May 3, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    I have looked at the prefab but I like to build my own boxes so that i know they are completely sealed and the quality and craftsmanship is good.

Also i am going with subs that have large excursion so i would like to make sure they dont hit the back of the seats. And i want to make sure that my amps will both mount to the box and look nice and clean! Is all about presentation!

3. May 3, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Ill give you guys a hint.
    The best way to port these truck boxes is to have the subs on the passenger side and port on the driver side fire
    The bracket is kinda 1/2 in the way so square it off and put the 3-4 inch flared port ( needs to be trimmed a little ) right above it running horizontally.

IF you build this right, make the right minor mods you can get over 2cf net

4. May 3, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    from my years of experience with subs, EXCURSION IS SO OVER PLAYED> There is one specific company thats really going nuts with it and wow what a fantastic marketing ploy.

Do you think those super super loud SPL subs have mad excursion... most don't no. Look at DD for example

5. May 3, 2016 at 8:38 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    I don't blame you about the quality thing, I'm just not good at all at making boxes. That's why I went with the boxes from @Mr Marv . I can't wait to see what you ultimately come up with.

6. May 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM
    Zac of all trades

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    Good tip!! Thanks alot.

Question though. with the design the OP has posted... the subs share a single enclosure, is it better for each sub to have its own box and airspace or does it make a difference if they share airspace? And have you had any experience with a top or down firing ported box in tacomas?

With the design i originally posted the port is rear but im thinking i can get it to be top or down firing.

Also i am going with sundown SD3 10s. I have heard great things about them and they make a shallow mount sub. However im curious about how the inverted surround will sound. They (a guy at sundown audio) told me that the EV3s 10s do not sound good in a sealed box and are better in a ported box.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. May 3, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    your limited to space so a top up firing port is kinda hard to do
    Again since space is limited you cannot afford to have any additional bs inside the box that takes up space so separate is a no go.
    use 1/2 birch ply, Glue and clamp. on the baffle do a full sub cutout.... then drop the sub in and have another 1/2 round trim ring thats 13-15 inches diameter to bolt into. so basically you'd be 1/2 inch counter sunk and with the 13-15 inch rim behind the first baffle there isn't to much lost airspace. This you can play with.

There is nothing wrong with sundown subs. Yes the E is better suited for ported boxes

8. May 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    Zac of all trades

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    Man you are awesome! thanks for the help!!

9. May 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    ;)

ManBeast likes this.
  10. May 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Damn man, you sound like you are really good with this enclosure building thing. What do you have in your truck if you don't mind me asking?

Zac of all trades likes this.
  11. May 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Nothing right now. Truck is undergoing a FULL rebuild. SAS etc
    I have had an SS nw class setup with 6kw in this truck, i have had about 4 other designs and the last one was fully walled db drag ss3-4 with 2 12kw amps.

Next box is going to be a big L shaped box with 4 custom Neo subs built to spec for 2.5kw each on 3 inch vc tc sound type basket. ITs gonna be gorgeous. I have some infinity g35 rear seats trimmed down that lay over the box that can be removed with i go camping to slide my engle fridge in.

So recap, will have 4 custom neo 10s with 10kw of power. Nothing but the best in my eyes. This will include new alts and XS power batteries. Our new 8/0 wire and full custom door panels with drop in battery chargers for my cordless drill set that i used to modify to run my soon to be built flash light. Basically the cordless battery on a 2x2 40w led cube lol

12. May 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Got any pics of the old setup?
    :worthless:

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    ManBeast likes this.
  13. May 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    So I'm currently working on quite a few things to bring to TW in the Audio dpt, its not just deadner :)

Leonel likes this.
  14. May 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many

I have posted em here..... all setups where partial as you know any SPL fan.... your rebuilding every like 3 weeks lol

15. May 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Guess I will have to search for them huh?

16. May 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
  17. May 4, 2016 at 12:38 AM
    JasonT87

JasonT87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos mid-travel front. JD Fab SUA rear.
    The wires that aren't in the plugs go to the speakers, right? Then one of those plugs goes into the factory HU, and the other one...?

18. May 4, 2016 at 5:59 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    It goes in between the trucks factory harness and the deck. So I've side plugs into the deck and the other side plugs into the factory harness. It's so you don't have to cut any wires on the factory harness.

19. May 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    neoogeoo

neoogeoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm taco trd off road
    Billies 5100 ome 885 springs nv wheels w/ duratracs
    Hello newbie here, im wating for my box from mr. Marv....Question the Metra wires stereo wire harness from Amazon plug into the factory headunit, other end are connected together using the stinger speedwire and that connects to the processor.....

20. May 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Great decision going with a box by Mr Marv, you will not regret it. As for the harness, you will hook up the speed wires to the speaker leads coming out of the factory head unit and run them to the signal processor. I didn't do my install that way but I really wish I would have. If you end up going that route you should call Mr Marv and ask him exactly how to do it, he was the person that told me about that method.

Products Discussed in

To Top