1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 BBP audio build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Man of Steel TRD, May 2, 2016.

1. Aug 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    JasonT87

JasonT87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos mid-travel front. JD Fab SUA rear.
    I meant on your sub enclosure. I am not sure about putting them in the doors, you'll likely run into a problem mounting them. Then there is the question of whether they will be safe from the elements or not. What adjustments are on the crossovers? Perhaps that will guide your decision to mount them in an easily accessible space.

Thread is the 'JBL upgrade they didn't want you to have'

2. Aug 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Hey Dave! In some cases I am down to a gnats behind just fitting certain subs in these trucks as most guys prefer to keep the plastic on the seatback and in those cases I typically recommend only putting deadener in the recessed areas below the rear wall stiffener and as Jeremy mentioned above the stiffener is OK. For those in that situation that are OK with removing the seatback plastic or doing a small modification with spacers to move the seatback forward a bit you'll be fine with deadener on the rear wall.

In any case the specific design I built for you allows me a little leeway and since I haven't had a chance to pack it yet I can trim a little from the lip on the back which will allow you to put deadener on the rear wall to knock some of that resonance down (don't get too excited about how quiet it will be as you can only do so much with deadener!)

BTW, I just had time to scan the rest of replies and noticed conversation concerning deadening the doors. My recommendation is to at minimum deaden around the speaker opening and use Fast Rings or weatherstipping to seal the front wave from the back wave. In my experience this will give you the greatest amount of initial benefit and anything else from there on will be icing on the cake as I like to say! BTW, if you don't seal the back wave from the front wave either by using the above methods or by covering the holes in the inner frame you will never get the full potential from your new speakers!

Man of Steel TRD[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    toyomaniac71

toyomaniac71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Toytec 2.0 Boss 2" lift; Fuel Boost 18"; Nitto G2 275/65/18; BAMF Grille
    Thanks Marv! Good stuff. Jason mentioned possibly putting rear crossovers within sub enclosure. Any issues as far as significant sound quality etc? There are 2 adjustments - 1. High/Flat. 2. 0, -3, -6 dB. How often would I need access to those settings really?

4. Aug 15, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    @Mrmarv that would be great if you could adjust so I can put the RAAM product ( 2 layer system) on back wall. Is it possible to make adjustment so I can put underneath as well?

Sorry to keep bringing up crossover location so much. Car Toys said they often install behind speaker in door enclosures - having said that I will never take my car to them after they messed up my Mustang. Thoughts?

5. Aug 15, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Sorry for filling up this thread with my issues.

Updates -
    1. Mr. Marv said with my particular box he could make some minor adjustments to allow me to cover more of the back wall with sound deadener, but NOT under the box.
    2. After removing back in prep for install, I was amazed how much road noise comes thru those two plastic vents on the back wall! I'm thinking the OEM plastic covering on the back wall probably insulated a lot of that noise. Wonder how it will be with the new sub box since I won't be able to reinstall the plastic trim behind the seats. I noticed there was a rubber matte that was draped over the vents when I removed everything. Can this go back on and will it help the noise coming thru the vents?
    3. Even though Car Toys said it's ok to place crossovers INSIDE the doors, Mr. Marv strongly discouraged. Fortunately, there should be some room behind the sub box he said.

6. Aug 15, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD [OP] Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    I noticed the noise from the vents as well. It's not that bad when the seats are in it and locked into place. The only time they will make noise is when you have the fresh air on, if you have it on recirculate then they don't make any noise.

I'm sure you can put that cover that was under the plastic pieces back on but I really don't know how much it will help.

If it bugs you just turn the loud stereo up, it will drown out the noise from the vents!! :thumbsup:

7. Aug 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Russtty

Russtty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD sport DCSB 6MT
    BakFlip MX4 Fuel Vector 17x8.5 -6ET 265/70R17 KO2 TRD Pro Grill OV tune - pending
    @Mr Marv
    Do you have any pictures of the finished product with the speakers? I just did an install recently and am planning on going back in to optimize my speaker mounting. Fast rings are not easily available up here in Canada from what I can see so I would be most interested in the weatherstripping method.

Thanks!

Steve

8. Aug 15, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Can't wait to crank it up!

9. Aug 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    @Mrmarv I have never heard of these! I found these below on fastringsinc.com. Can you tell me based on my speakers which ones to order ? You are quite the wealth of knowledge

10. Aug 16, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    Choops

Choops Well-Known Member

Member:
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    image.jpg

Attention to detail when sound deadening doors will make all the difference in the world. I've been slowly working on mine and will start a thread soon. This is a picture of my rear door 3/4 finished.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. Aug 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Steve...searching photobucket is a pain on my phone however I am sure I have posted pics on a thread here not too long ago so if you search my previous posts you should find them (If you do find them please post them here and if not I'll look when I get back to the computer)

Dave...I think I have a set somewhere and will look when I get back today

12. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hijack your thread again Jeremy but I know a lot of guys read it so I figured I'd take advantage of that to reach as many as I could! :oops:
    My daughters illness took a little turn for the worse recently so we're back and forth to the hospital/doctors again lately. I don't get reception in some areas of the hospital or when traveling through the forest so if you get a message saying my line is out of service or I don't answer just send a text and I'll get back to you asap (don't worry about whether or not you are bothering me as some have mentioned since I'm just waiting around outside most of the time!)

13. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    @Choops very nice! I'm at a similar stage using RAAMaudio product. I do not have my adaptors for my speakers yet but I was wondering is it best to have the speakers installed before the deadener is applied around the speaker hole?? I don't know if the extra thickness affects the speakers hitting the door panel when it is reinstalled.

@Mr Marv - I talked to Jason at RAAM Audio and he said his system using the second layer ( Ensolite) essentially has the same affect as Fast Rings if applied properly. I have plenty of material so I will try his method first. Thanks. Prayers to you and your daughter

14. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Dave.
    The procedure is deadener, Ensolite, speaker adapter, speaker. What I was referring to is if you just do minimal deadener around the speaker opening and don't cover all of the holes with the deadener and/or foam you can use fast rings or weatherstripping to mimic what the factory did in order to seal the front wave from the back wave.

15. Aug 18, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    Choops

Choops Well-Known Member

Member:
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Mr Marv is correct in the order. I personally prefer to put the Ensolite on the back of the door panel instead of the door itself.

Here's a finished look at my doors:
    image.jpg image.jpg

16. Aug 18, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    That's no problem at at all Marv. I'm so sorry to hear this and my thoughts and prayers are with your family and your daughter.

17. Aug 21, 2016 at 3:44 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Any opinions on speaker wires? Again, I am am reinstalling a system that Cartoys put in my Mustang. I'm starting to think that they took some shortcuts that I don't want to do on my Tacoma. Looks like they used 18g wire. Does it really matter if it's 16g or 18g?

18. Aug 23, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    What are the wires going to? If it is to your subs I wouldn't go 18g.

19. Aug 23, 2016 at 5:23 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
  20. Aug 23, 2016 at 8:40 PM
    toyomaniac71

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    I guess I was thinking of my main and rear speakers - I think I have already decided to use 16g.

Should the wires to the sub be any different?

Products Discussed in

To Top