1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 BBP audio build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Man of Steel TRD, May 2, 2016.

1. Sep 17, 2016 at 6:17 AM
    ramirez810

ramirez810 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma Trd sport
    New to the forum here and I am trying to do a few upgrades to the audio.

Does anyone know at what volume the head unit starts to clip? (non-jbl)

2. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD [OP] Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    With all the stock speakers or amplified? I feel like this is a vague question Alex. So many variables involved. I still need to fully tune my system bit I never get it above 37 because it's so loud with my setup as it sits. No clipping at all.

3. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    Welcome to tw btw Alex. Cool that your first post was in my thread.

4. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM
    ramirez810

ramirez810 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    I guess I should explain myself a bit more. Here is my current setup

-Hertz HSK 165 (front)
    -Boston 8" sub
    -Stock rear speakers
    -Jl xd400/4
    -Alpine mrx-m50
    -Audison Bit ten

I am wanting to run active in the front and run the rears off deck power. I don't have an oscilloscope to see at which volume the head unit starts to clip.

Any input helps

5. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    @Aw9d you have any advice for Alex, you know I just go off my hearing and I still need to do a good tune on my truck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  6. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I know that it's not just the volume of the head unit but your signal processor and your amp too. You should be able to get the head unit almost full blast and with the combined settings of all your components not have any distortion. Right @Aw9d?

7. Sep 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I've found most newer head units when testing on my o-scope can go to 100% volume and front rear are not clipping at the RCA outputs. The sub however is always clipping and my pioneer needed a 4db drop to not clip.

I tested a stock HU in a 4runner and anything over 3/4 of volume clipped bad. It was an 07 however. My rule of thumb is nothing more than 3/4 for volume. Gain on amps should be next to nothing or no gain at all.

I can chime in more when I get back from Denver

Man of Steel TRD[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM
    ramirez810

ramirez810 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the information. I read a different thread where one person said that he didn't have clipping until volume 59 which is near max and I just wanted to verify.

Now the real task is tuning the bit ten. Haven't yet decided if I want to get an RTA and try to tune it myself or just hire it out.

9. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    As long as that person tested with an o-scope then it's valid. If he's just saying he can't hear clipping that's a different story. Most people can't hear clipping, especially on the tweeters.

10. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for responding man. You know about the tuning and I don't at all. I've always just adjusted everything by ear. Did even know what an o-scope was before you told me about one.

Aw9d[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Alway happy to help. When we tune yours we will know for sure where the HU clips and you can add it to your sticky

12. Sep 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM
    toyomaniac71

toyomaniac71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Toytec 2.0 Boss 2" lift; Fuel Boost 18"; Nitto G2 275/65/18; BAMF Grille
    IMG_3906.jpg
    The final piece! Thanks Mr Marv!

13. Sep 28, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    toyomaniac71

toyomaniac71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Toytec 2.0 Boss 2" lift; Fuel Boost 18"; Nitto G2 275/65/18; BAMF Grille
    @Mr Marv @1sttruckguy78 I'm getting really close to finishing up.

I'm trying eliminate some of the hissing even when audio is OFF. As of now I believe I went the path of having the blue remote wire coming off of the red wire on the Metra harnesses. I notice that amp and LOC are ON even though audio off. Is there a way to have LOC/amp only turn on if audio is on?

14. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that switched power is always on when the trucks power is on. The only way to really fix that would be to find another power source that is switched. Maybe off the bed lights switch? That may be the answer. You would have to test what wire comes off the back of that switch has power and see if it shuts off.

15. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Or wire in a toggle switch of your own.

16. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    ramirez810

ramirez810 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Does your LOC have have signal sense? Meaning you could use the audio signal from the head unit to turn it on and have it send out power for the remote wire.

Second question would be what LOC are you using?

17. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:03 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I've heard the signal sense doesn't work very well. Mine does have that but I didn't use it. I have a kicker zxsum8.

Or were you asking @toyomaniac71?

18. Sep 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    Ok I have read through almost 20 pages of this and I am forever thankful for all the info you guys have provided here so thank you to all.

I have a 2017 double cab off road and I am going to make the assumption (not yet confirmed) that the harness and wiring is the same as the 2016. However, the area behind the rear seats are different 'cause there is a big window motor now for the rear slider and so I have a couple questions

1) @Mr Marv - Have you designed/built a box for the '17 model yet? I see you have ones for the '16 & older.
    2) I plan to run a 4 channel for door speakers & a 2 channel or mono block for subs - since the wire harness only has 8 wires for speakers do you guys use the front wire speakers into the main input and the rear speaker wires into channel 2 or 3 on the LC7?
    3) In one of the pics posted I see that the person ran 2 of the speedwire's back to the rear of truck, do I need to do that?

Thanks for all the help guys as I begin to build my system

19. Sep 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    do you have a pic of that motor for the rear window?

You won't need to run 2 sets of speedwires to the back, I only ran one to my zxsum8. I went with the front speaker leads to input 1 and the rears to input 3 because it not only feeds output 3 but output 4 that went to my sub amp as well. The LC7i should wire up the exact same way.

20. Sep 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    Here is a picture of the rear

2016-09-21 18.00.58.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top