1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 BBP audio build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Man of Steel TRD, May 2, 2016.

1. May 4, 2016 at 10:24 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    I am going through this process as well. I bought the Metra harness and the Stinger Speedwire. From thinking about it in my head, you will plug new harness into HU and connect the speaker wires to the LOC (wherever that may be). Then, i'm thinking for all the other wires out of the OEM harness (everything EXCEPT speaker wires), unplug and plug into new Metra harness. I've heard if you don't, there can be some issue with the HU buttons lighting up when you turn the headlamps on. Does this make sense or am I going in the wrong direction here?

Depending on the LOC you bought you may need to run the power wire from the new Metra harness as well.

2. May 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD [OP] Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    That's how I understand you set that up.

3. May 4, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    Would you be able to post the finished harness so the others here will be able to see how they should do this please?

4. May 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    neoogeoo

neoogeoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm taco trd off road
    Billies 5100 ome 885 springs nv wheels w/ duratracs
    Thanks guys for the input.......pics would help.........will give Marvin a call I'm just trying to figure if I can do it myself or take it in to the stereo shop (rather not)......once my box from marv is in then I'll buy the processor then figure out how to wire it......

5. May 4, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I didn't wire mine this way otherwise I would have posted pics. It is pretty much a color matching game hooking the two harnesses together. Mr Marv should be able to explain it to you. Just have to stay organized, it is only 4 channels (8 wires + and -)

6. May 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    I don't know what timeline you're looking at but i'll be doing this and taking photos of the build process. I've started my own thread "My Audio Build" you can follow along with.

7. May 4, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    Question, that Metra cable plugs into the headunit?

8. May 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    I'm patient, I'll follow along....

9. May 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    yes. Like I said before, it goes in between the factory harness and the head unit. it is so you do not have to cut into the factory harness to install the signal processor. notice how it has a male and a female end? You wire the two together then run your speaker wire from the head unit to the signal processor.

Friedtacolover likes this.
  10. May 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    OK got it............will you be using the exsiting wire from the speakers, or are you running wire from the amp and making a new connection to the speaker....

11. May 4, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    that's up to you. if you want to run wire from the amp back up to behind the deck and use the opposite side of the metra harness. I opted to go directly into the doors from the amp. What will you be buying for the fronts? Just new door speakers or new tweeters too?

12. May 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    I have jl coax in the rear and the front I've installed 6x9 kicker, infinity tweeters on top, once my box arrive I'll install my 12" jl sub.... I have an alpine pdx amp that I'm going to use ......I still need the processor

surfpops likes this.
  13. May 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Are you going to be using an amp for the door speakers?

14. May 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    Yes it's a 5 chanel amp to power all my speakers 5th chanel for my sub

Man of Steel TRD[OP] likes this.
  15. May 4, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Gocha. Well you are going all out my friend. Like I said at the start of this thread I have about 50 ish hours into the build so doing as much as I did and you are is not for the faint of heart. I think going the way you are with the harnesses behind the head unit will help out a lot time wise. Make sure to pick Mr Marvs brain when you talk to him, he knows so much about these trucks and installing audio in them it's crazy.

16. May 4, 2016 at 5:43 PM
    neoogeoo

Member:
    First Name:
    geo
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all your input....don't be surprise if I ask you more questions......

Man of Steel TRD[OP] likes this.
  17. May 4, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I'm happy to help, that's why I started the thread. The 2016s are so new there are not a lot of people out there that have done full systems in them.

18. May 5, 2016 at 3:19 AM
    JasonT87

JasonT87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos mid-travel front. JD Fab SUA rear.
    Doing something similar also in due time. Marking off the parts list one thing at a time first. The sound deadener GB is really slowing things down... :(

19. May 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    I think i put my name on that list however i have not heard anything from it. Can you post the link to the group by so i can see if its the same one?

Thanks

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  20. May 5, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    solscooter

solscooter Sh!t Outta Luck

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Mid solder with the speedwire. I took pics of the continuing process. Post them up when I'm done.

This is what they looked like after I de-pinned all the wires not needed.

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top