1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Nav App only has 5 Preset Destinations [OP]

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SamChieftan, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nov 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    SamChieftan

SamChieftan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AUTO 4x4 Super White
    Interior LEDs, Truck Mat, Door sills
    I have a TRD OR 4x4 Auto DCSB WITHOUT the Premium Package. So, I finally figured out how to SAVE a destination in the Navigation App. I have the Entune Premium Audio Stereo with the integrated Nav & App Suite. Upon saving a destination, I found that I can ONLY save 5 of them for FREE. WTH does that mean? I looked in the Manual, and I couldn't find squat about this. Is this some sort of subscription based "Crap"? WTH?

Of course I may have just fallen off the virtual Banana truck! I did NOT enroll in ENTUNE, as I don't use any of that stuff ... well not yet. I have a NOTE 3 Android, but would like to know WTH the deal is with all of this. I would like to have MORE THAN 5 Destinations!

Apologies, if this is already posted. Spent 15 minutes through searching and really didn't find any info in the 3rd gen or previous posts as I thought this HEAD unit for the 3rd gen was new. 20151128_182914.jpg

2. Nov 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM
    Aussiek2000

Aussiek2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Offroad AC
    That doesn't mean free as in money. Its free as in Open slots. And put entune on your phone. Its "free" as in price and opens a lot of the functions of the radio if your data plan allows.

EB Group likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    SamChieftan

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Oh CRAP!!!! Never thought of 3 of 5 OPEN SLOTS!!

:facepalm:

There are ONLY 5 Destinations that we can PRESET ....... REALLY? How bloody lame is that?

1. HOME 2. WORK 3. FOOD 4. BAR 5. HOME ..... REPEAT

Wait What? Guess I only needed 4 of them!

I guess I can use Number 5 for the TOYOTA DEALERSHIP .... LOL

Thanks for the info on ENTUNE, I will download and have a look, I am an OLD OLD OLD cell phone customer OLD timer with the ever disappearing UNLIMITED DATA PLAN ..... so my data plan is WIDE OPEN!!!!

:dancingbacon:

4. Nov 29, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    SamChieftan

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    REALLY ....... WTH? My phone has my work crap on it as well which is about 180 plus contacts .......

WAIT, maybe I should get the Bluetooth like yours , then I will have an excuse NOT to call back any work numbers .... like DUH!!!

:ohsnap:

5. Nov 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Garmin FTW.

Hundreds of presets, can build categories (airports, hotels, friends, etc.) and free (as in money) map upgrades.

Wait till you see what map upgrades cost from Toyota. :goingcrazy:

And I can put it in any car I travel in, including rentals. :thumbsup:

6. Nov 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM
    SamChieftan

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Alright Clearwater Bill ....... I am sure I am going to crapola my drawers with the added cost..... IDIOT me actually thought the map upgrades were FREE?

Can you install Garmin in the Nav unit? I have 2 Garmin GPS units, and I can save a TON of stuff on them.

I have free update maps for life on both Garmins, and I have a TON of stored destinations.

I was hoping the built in would be just as nice, so I didn't have to have an external unit mounted.

I wonder WTH the cost is for Map Upgrades. Stupid subscription upgrade crap. Bought a $40K truck and they are still soaking it too me.

It is obvious the dealership I bought my truck from has the BIGGEST WINDOWS in the country, BECAUSE they must have seen me coming from a MILE AWAY!

:annoyed:

7. Nov 29, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    I hope for all your sakes they are free. But I'd bet against it. I found this thread on a RAV 4 forum.

" I had my 2013 RAV4 in for service today and asked the Service manager about firmware updates and he did know any thing about firmware updates. He asked if I was talking about maps and explained to me that maps are updated via the USB port and it cost $160........"

Velcro it to the screen? :D

Oh, you mean data wise? I have no clue. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it.

Since I'm not that big a fan of having mine on the dash, most of the time it's in the glove box. I've not started getting lost around town yet. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    GuitarGuy91

GuitarGuy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OffRoad Acc Cab (ordered)
    Personally I don't see a need for a lot of saved destinations. If I go somewhere a lot, I don't need a GPS to tell me how to get there. And if I don't go somewhere that often, I don't need a preset. I'll keep "HOME" saved just for coming back from faraway places, and can't think of anywhere else I'd keep saved.

dutchjim and Irunfar like this.
  9. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Sometimes I go to that place, but I'm not starting from the same place. I may be 50 miles the other direction. So it's not a matter of being lost, it's a matter of the most efficient route from wherever I'm starting from.

Other places I may go to once or twice a year after flying in close by. Easier to slap the GPS on the windshield and hit destination 'x' than to have to reenter the location. Roads change, landmarks change, etc etc.

We also have destinations we go to 2-3x a year, but take different routes so we visit different people on the way.

If you travel enough, with enough infrequent repeats, or in areas you don't live, having those destinations in place is a great timesaver.

10. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    SamChieftan

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. Many times for work I need to go to different locations and data centers.
    It is great to have some things programmed in when you are dealing with 10 million people trying to get to different areas of work everyday.

Also, I travel once or twice a year from Dallas, Texas up to Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada.
    I have family and friends ALL ALONG the trip from the USA up through Tulsa, Fargo, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Lac LaBiche etc.
    It is nice to have saved Gas Stations, Hotels, Friends, Food Places, Rest Stops, family along the way etc. I can have upwards of 80 - 100 places when you travel 10,000 miles.
    I realize most do NOT do that, but a regular GARMIN GPS does store that information, and almost every other vehicle with a built in Nav unit other than my Taco does.

5 Presets on a $40K Truck Navigation unit is ridiculously pathetic. Next 2017 version will probably use crayola crayons!

I love my Taco, I was hoping I missed something with only the 5 Presets.

I will contact my dealership and the Service/General Manager and see if I can bend an ear to get in contact with Toyota Engineering and see WHY/WHAT is the reasoning behind it?
    I thought it may be subscription based, or I missed something, but there may be some other logic or ways to save more destinations.

I don't have any dislikes on my Taco yet, just this small disappointment as I will never use it, if it only has 5 presets.

I am lucky;

I ALREADY know where my HOME is, so I don't need to waste 1 out of a 5 spots on a NAV unit to remember it for me.

:annoyed:

11. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    MooseMeat

MooseMeat Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    I apologize if I missed something. I don't have my new Tacoma yet (waiting to sell my car).

I agree, 5 presets for this is quite ridiculous but I'm curious if any you can use the information from contacts for navigation. As in, if you have the address information stored in your phone for a contact, can you go into the contacts and select them as a destination?

12. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    SamChieftan

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wow great idea ... I never tried that ... maybe I can try it after work .... that definitely would help. No one else has posted anything else yet about only the 5 saved destinations, and I am sure others have used it.

13. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    OnceARunner

OnceARunner War Eagle!

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport Tacoma
    You only have 5 preset destinations, think of them like "favorites".

You also have 100 address spots within the head unit itself to save. It isn't as good as a garmin for sure, but it's not like you can only save 5 places at a time.

14. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    MooseMeat

MooseMeat Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    Yes, let us know if that works. It'll be good to know once I get mine.

15. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    imjustabill1970

imjustabill1970 Twitter: imjustabill1970

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    clarksville, tn
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB
    SUSPENSION: Icon Stage 4 with tubular UCAs WHEELS: Black ProComp 69 TIRES: BFG KO2s at 265/75/16 Partially debadged Diaz Fabrication Model T up front
    Any info on deleting the presets?

Later.

Products Discussed in

To Top