1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 OVTune Tacoma 3.5L Manual Transmission / Engine ECU Reflash

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    I still have blip delay while in motion. Sometimes I have to stomp it, other times if I do that it'll react as it should and rev too high.

As stated, it's much better than stock but still irritating (mainly because it's inconsistent).

I know 2.0 beta isn't a finished tune, but this issue needs to be addressed. We're not the only ones experiencing it, guaranteed.

IF THERE ARE ANY 2.0 TESTERS IN HERE, PLEASE BE PICKY WITH THROTTLE RESPONSE DURING REV MATCH. If you don't rev match, well give up your OVT 2.0 beta tester card!

Also, the dead engine feel off idle when you're taking off on a steep incline is still a thing. With 4.30 axles and our 1st gear ratio, this shouldn't be a struggle IMO. Still feels artificial.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:09 AM
    lapoltba

lapoltba Full Bridge Rectifier

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    '17 Sport, ACLB, V6,MT, 04B14 OV-Tuned
    So we know by now all of our trucks behave quite differently so I definitely believe you.

If you can get techstream set up with logging the blip delay or lagging throttle should be fairly easy to see. Pedal angle compared to throttle position and engine RPM should be pretty obvious.

3. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:09 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    To be clear....

I of course could be wrong or may have missed it, but I've not seen evidence on TW or on the OVT website stating that 2.0 M/T is being street tested (by him) in-house and/or on the dyno. I feel this is needed to get us to the final product polish.

Mat has done a lot for us, and I realize the slushbox shitshow is probably taking the lion's share of his time.... and TBH, that's where the bank is. We just need a bit more of his attention IMO.

CygnusX191, mstrbrc, tonered and 2 others like this.
  4. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    While this will definitely help, there's nothing like direct R&D to know what's going on. Feel the problem, pour over the logs, make an adjustment, flash the truck and re-evaluate. There's only so much you can do remotely IMO.

..and this isn't a new problem, just saying.

tonered likes this.
  5. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:43 AM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I don't disagree. He needs more time with an MT. I don't know why he is so reluctant to do it. I get that we're a small minority, but I feel like development of engine controls and tuning would be far easier on an MT and would still be applicable to the AT.

Mat does have logging, but if you can get Techstream set up you can log as well.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  6. Sep 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I have the custom data list saved for logging with Techstream. Could send it to anyone who needs it. Then they'd just need to import it and then select it prior to logging.

CygnusX191 and MOC221_ like this.
  7. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:03 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Thanks for this, the M/T community never fails to come together.

In the end though, Mat still needs to be in the driver's seat. I don't believe he's done that on 2.0 M/T

iexc and mZiggy[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:25 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    To be clear if anyone wants to try and log some of these issues for Mat:

1. Warm your truck up. Stopped with clutch in, tap the gas and note the engine response. Should be quick to rev. Now drive around normally, and try a few 3-2 rev matched downshifts while slowing down. If the response is different than stopped/clutch in (noticeably slower), well that's what we're talking about. You should only have to tap the gas or apply light pressure to bring the revs up. Not stomp the pedal, and certainly not hold it down. Try this at a few different speeds, and between different gears (5-4, 4-3);

2. Find a steep(ish) hill, paved street. 2WD Hi. Stop on the incline. With right foot on brake, let the clutch out to the release point, move your right foot over to the gas and continue feathering until truck is moving and the clutch is fully engaged. You're somewhere in the 600-800 RPM range and moving slowly. Push the gas down a bit and hold it there. Note what the truck does all the way up to 1500. My truck is almost completely dead at first, then suddenly lurches and takes off. You won't really notice this on flat ground, because the engine isn't being loaded nearly as much and therefore passes through this RPM range fairly quickly.
    Please don't tell me "well you're at 800 RPM, what did you expect". I've NEVER driven a M/T that did this so badly (and I've driven some gutless vehicles). It feels like something is (artificially) severely limiting any available torque in this scenario. I mean, you'll never notice it driving an A/T, because torque converter.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  9. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    This is absolutely not the case, and we are ASKING people to tell us, give us feedback, so we can make proper adjustments. But there is a clear and distinctive difference between giving us feedback through the proper channels and whining, bickering and fighting with us on the forum, which is what too many people do all too often. Look at the AT guys they whine and bicker and troll all the time. None of them has lost any access to tuning.

I have NEVER refused to acknowledge an issue.

I'm sorry but your post is exactly what I am referring to. I have NEVER refused to acknowledge any issue, I actively ask people to report things to me via the proper channels, and your post makes it sound like we are doing the exact opposite.

Yes I have been in one, drove one and dyno tuned one.. Do we own one? No. Have I considered buying one.. absolutely.

Not to mention have we all forgot that it's a beta?
    Just like some of the AT folks.. find something you don't like, report it to us, we correct it. Instead of continually testing the issue again and again and convincing yourself it's the end of the line.

apowers, AKGSD, nerdrock and 4 others like this.
  10. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    ACK.

Can you please grab a tuned M/T taco and try the things I posted above?

11. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Once our shop expansion is complete I will buy a TRD Pro MT. I need one for longer term boost testing anyway.

12. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Look Mat, I love your work. Some of these things are not new however.

1.05 91 FOB was a finished tune and still had throttle lag and off idle dead engine issues like I mentioned above. Please, get in the driver's seat and feel this stuff.

EDIT: NVM!

iexc likes this.
  13. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    LORD HAVE MERCY!

Now we're talkin.

iexc, CygnusX191 and Shellshock like this.
  14. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Ok like I try to explain to the AT guys. There is a difference between true throttle lag / dead engine, and effective throttle angle. And here is what I mean. When the engine is for example at 2500 RPM you can make peak possible torque at throttle positions as low as 50%.
    This means that from 50% to 86% throttle angle there is virtually ZERO... ZERO difference in torque. If maximum torque can be achieved at 50% throttle angle, opening it further does literally nothing. This is part of the reason for all the reports of dead pedal feelings on this engine. Opening the throttle more doesn't mean more power, it's dependent on RPM.

AKGSD, Slammer6, su.b.rat and 3 others like this.
  15. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    We are not asking you to buy anything. It sounds like you got one on a dyno and drove it. That is truly great, but we were just not updated about this.

If that Taco didn't exhibit these issues, because we all know how inconsistent these beasts are, we will do our best to help you out and find a local person that has these oddities. Does that sound good?

I think the only thing this crew needs is some more interaction, info, and maybe a test file or two.

16. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    This may come a surprise but I've actually handed out more MT test stuff than AT. There is just a much smaller crowd response because there is .. a much smaller crowd of MTs.

Also I want a MT TRD Pro, but they are hard to find around her, and I just have nowhere to put it until our expansion is done. I have a whole bigger building being built, etc etc. just can't be done overnight, or even in a few months.

I'm also not disagreeing about MT seat time. It would be beneficial. But we really need our own truck to do this. There has been a lot of things going on in the background I just don't talk about. Like us expanding to a bigger location for all of our development vehicles.

AKGSD, Slammer6 and tonered[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:48 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Honestly, that is a surprise. We know that the AT guys derail a lot of efforts, which plays into our little fun house here.

I would hope that we at least shown that we can keep secrets and follow instructions, as you asked on the Beta post.

Good luck on the search. The MT is a gem from my perspective.

iexc and Shellshock like this.
  18. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    There’s a 19 MT pro at the dealer near me (eastern Iowa, dealer is 10 minutes from the airport).

CygnusX191, MOC221_ and tonered like this.
  19. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I completely understand that we are a small minority. I think some of the frustration comes from the fact that we have heard about MT testing/dyno stuff that was planned but never saw any reports back on results or findings. Meanwhile the AT goons bitch and moan about tip in like it's Goldilocks eating porridge. They end up taking all your attention and we're left wondering what's going on with the MT still.

iexc, 2001 4x4, su.b.rat and 3 others like this.
  20. Sep 6, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I think you said way better than I did.

MOC221_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in