1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Tacoma Problems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Daqua73, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Sep 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    Daqua73

Daqua73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport crew cab
    I'm new to this thread. After 16 years, and against my wishes, I finally bought a new Tacoma. My 2000 TRD's frame rusted to the point of it being unsafe. No other issues whatsoever. Bummer!! I would like to hear the issues other 2016 owners are having. I have the TRD sport crew cab with 3.5 liter. So far I'm not too impressed. I was expecting more based on my experiences with Tacomas. Transmission sucks that's number 1. There is a massive dash rattle that I'm seeing all over the net. Engine surging while in a slow turn etc. Let me know what you guys gave experienced and what you've done about it. Thanks.

because_wumbo-truck likes this.
  2. Sep 27, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    wow sounds like the sales manager made u buy a truck u don't like.

I am currently having zero issues and loving the truck. The tranny TSB made a world of difference. Give it some time man. Really id say it took 3000 miles to break in the engine. You really have to drive it differently than 1st and 2nd gens that most of us were used to. With these trucks it's best to get up to speed faster than it would take in the 1st and 2nd gens, then feather pedal to maintain speed. Both my 1st and 2nd gens both had dash rattles, the squeaky seals in the 2nd gen drove me frigging nuts and a few minor issues. To get decent mileage id have to drive the older Tacomas differently than I do my 3ed gen. I have no rattles whatsoever, except when my kids leave balls in the bed of the truck. That drives me crazy

vinkon235 and Joe23 like this.
  3. Sep 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    prowl647

prowl647 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like the shit motor mounts are at it again. Hopefully there will be a fix. Just my two cents

4. Sep 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    Humboldt_Homie

Humboldt_Homie If you're not first, you're last.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCLB
    Bilstein 6112 front, 5100's rear with blocks, camburg UCA, 17" XD's with 285/70/17 AT 3's and a blackout front grille.
    I went to the dealer and the dude said my truck is too new for a TSB, was he just being lazy and not wanting to do the research or is there really a tranny TSB out there?

5. Sep 27, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    johntoyota

johntoyota "I'm higher than you'll ever be." -Treetop

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Down yonder in TN
    Vehicle:
    16 truck
    I went at 5k miles back in early Sept for its oil change and they didn't do it. When I asked them, they said I had to schedule anything like that separately because it was in a separate building.

6. Sep 27, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
  7. Sep 27, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Tacoma_SR5Pro

Tacoma_SR5Pro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 Pro
    There will always be a TSB. I'll attach it for you so you can present it to your service advisor.

Attached Files:

8. Sep 27, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    Knucklegrumble

Knucklegrumble Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't mean to be a dick and to be honest I have noticed some vibrations myself... BUT if you wanted a smooth ride with perfectly engineered transmission etc. you should go with something over 50k (I know sad to say that with 36k you still can't get perfection... but it's a 1st world problem I guess) anyhow... to give you some hope after I dicked around... Vibration and surges and gear hunting gets better with time for 2 main reasons... 1) The ECU adjusts some settings according to how you drive 2) You learn how to drive the truck 3) This is a bonus... you start not to care so much anymore! :p

Also and I might just be as nuts as all the other psychosomatic fools on here but out of curiosity what grade gasoline do you use?

9. Sep 27, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    Smitty is that you again? Hmm.

The trans is designed to adapt to your driving style, give it 1000-1500 miles to "learn" your driving habits. Around town I keep mine in forth so it's not shifting into the OD gears. If after the learning process the trans is still shifting abnormally take it in for the transmission TSB, but you will have to go through the learning process all over.
    Don't think I've heard too many complaints with dash rattles nevermind massive ones. I'm sure your dealer is capable of fixing said rattle.
    Good luck!

Edit:
    Aside from some dodgy shifting when it was new (now much better after the "learning" process & no TSB) I have had zero problems with my truck! After owning four Tacoma's and a 5th gen 4Runner over the years this truck is everything I expected it to be and I'm very happy with it!
    20160915_143733.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    RideFast likes this.
  10. Sep 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Knucklegrumble

Member:
    BTW... Today I went to lunch with some co-worker and since I had to run some errands after I drove my truck.. this guy has a Kia with 400 hps.. Lemme tell ya that thing fucking flies... but anyways since as we said our engine is geared towards torque at high rpms and fuel economy we all know doesn't have much pickup (for a pick-up lol) and since I did not want to get separated at some light I decided to push the ECT PWR button which I never used before... Ok now, it's no NOS let's be clear... but damn... It was like driving a different car! I could easily keep up with the more sporty car.. not like we were racing or anything.. and obviously while my average trip is 20.5 mpg this ended up being 16... so yeah that's the trade off.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    mikey4x4 and 7GR like this.
  11. Sep 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    mike2810

mike2810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona - Rim Country
    Vehicle:
    had 06 Sport 4x4 , now 2016 Nissan Pro 4x
    Glad to hear you have no issues on your 2017. Hope it stays that way. Hopefully Toyota has solved the rusting frame issues that shows up 5+ years down the road on quite a few 2G Tacoma.

What is funny is if you go on a Chevy Colorado forum many posters says there is no comparison with other midsize pu. Same with the Nissan Frontier forums. Same here with the Tacoma forums.

Enjoy your truck. That is all that really matters.

12. Sep 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    Lovci

Lovci Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR AC 4cyl M/T
    Didn't you test drive the Fucking thing? Surely you could have bought something more to your liking if you don't like it.

Wallbright likes this.
  13. Sep 28, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    We need more details from OP. Sounded like he was in danger during the stealership visit and was forced to purchase the truck against his own will :notsure:

14. Sep 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    Knucklegrumble

Member:
    Well while that might be true about everyone claiming they are the bestest... I try to keep it real. I don't think the Tacoma is the best truck in the world... If I had 15-20k more I'd have bought an F-150 raptor to be perfectly honest... And I think it's a better truck. As far as the Colorado I have no idea... I have an 03 Suburban and while the engine is still strong after 160k miles it hasn't been headaches free over the years, but when comparing Tacoma and Frontier I am sorry... but I believe they are not even in the same league.

As far as my truck... it's early to tell. It only has 1300 miles, I checked the U-bolts and they were tight, did not check tranny fluid but it has been shifting smoothly so far, no hesitations, engine power is controllable once you learn how it works so... we'll see I guess. Hopefully it stays that way. If not I have 3 years warranty and lifetime on the power train... And I can always sell it in a couple years for good money..

Products Discussed in

To Top