1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/OR AC/MT

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AdventureKid, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Aug 19, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    AdventureKid

AdventureKid [OP] Let's Go Places

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6MT
    Camper Shell
    2016-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-Sport-4x4-1022-876x535.jpg
    So I just got off the phone with West Coast Toyota, BC, Canada and inquired about the new 16' Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR AC MT, and it looks like its going to be a pain in the butt to get it here in the U.S.

The sales person told me, as an American Citizen I can't finance the vehicle there since I am not a Canadian Citizen. Also they said they wouldn't sell to an American Citizen, unless I had a "family member" who was a Canadian Citizen....

I didn't even get to the costs of exporting the truck with tarriffs, fees, etc....

I really wanted the manual in the TRD OR AC, and it boggles my mind why they wouldn't carry it over from the 15's, but it sure is not worth the hassle to get it from Canada. That's my opinion.

Looks like for us who want the manual AC 4x4, we are stuck with a TRD Sport :/

2. Aug 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM
    mingo

mingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Under NAFTA there are no tariffs but there's probably a bureaucracy fee to import a vehicle from Canada. When the CAD$ was at par with the US$ not too long ago, lots and lots of Canadians flocked to the US to buy cars and save thousands $$$$ because of the "Canadian premium" on vehicles. The used car market is much larger in the US, so there's a lot more choice and prices are lower. I did just that a couple of years ago when the dollar was at par and purchased a motorcycle south of the border.. The importation process into Canada was painless and quick. I had the bike registered the same day. The importation fee was $220 for the paperwork plus I had to pay the sales tax on the declared value of the bike. In total, I saved about $3500.

Importing a vehicle from Canada into the US is possible, but you need to do your homework first and you need to pay in cash / certified check. No CDN dealer is going to finance a vehicle to a non resident.

Almost all car companies protect their turf, and make it difficult to buy a new vehicle to export it to the US or from the US to Canada. Some will even deny warranty coverage on US purchased vehicles and will tell you to take it to the US to get warranty service.

AdventureKid[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Same for us importing from US. You can buy used, but still is quite a process and I would advise to double check on warranty with Toyota US if you buy Canadian truck.

Toyota Canada is way worse historically in not offering certain trims and combinations that are already available in US.

4. Aug 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    M16

M16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've spent about an hour or so researching exactly this gambit, and while I expect some bureaucratic hassle, I fully expect ultimately to do business with a Canadian dealer and buy this model. Odd that they wouldn't finance the sale, but it's a moot point for me because I will pay in cash.

5. Aug 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM
    bigcrab

bigcrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    you know the speedo will be in km/hr too right? with the little #'s being mph.

6. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    unless you are doing high speed desert stuff.... the auto is so much more well rounded.... weekend trip IN the desert which had varying terrain all of us with autos had a great easy time able to crawl smoothly over stuff.... stick guys were burning up clutches and beating hard on their vehicles. But to each their own.

bigcrab likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ermahgerd

Like mya

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    bigcrab[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    idahbro

idahbro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR AC
    Leer XL Cap, Thule Rack, Weathertech Mats, Sleeping Deck/Bed Storage, Pop and Lock Tailgate Lock
    Hey ya'll, can anyone give the scoop on what is MT / AT means?

9. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Manual tranny / auto tranny

shakerhood and idahbro like this.
  10. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    Morning Time / Afternoon time

idahbro[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    bigcrab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    LOL. Not the end of the world, but having driven in Canada with a US car, its not something i would want to deal with every day.

12. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    AdventureKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6MT
    Camper Shell
    @nd4spdbh There's truth to what your saying here, not denying that. The problem I can't get over is being able to shift my own gears. I truly love driving, and the engaging factor of the manual transmission is what I am drawn to. I have always owned a manual and find it truly rewarding to drive. I drive my wife's automatic car when we go out, but its not nearly as fun. I know there's a lot of people that can agree with me on that, which is why we buy manuals. The manual is still capable of anything the automatic is, its just a different dynamic of driving/4x4ing/etc.

DJB1 likes this.
  13. Aug 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    bigcrab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR

Also if you do any high speed desert stuff the torque converter in the auto can help to absorb some of the drivetrain shock. At least that's what the shop told me when i grenaded a MT long ago, makes sense since trophy trucks etc are almost always auto.

14. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    AdventureKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6MT
    Camper Shell
    So basically your telling me an Auto is far superior in every scenario than a Manual?

15. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  16. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    mingo

mingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    You're gonna have to be creative because if Toyota Canada tells the dealer they cannot sell to US residents, then the dealer has to abide by this. Furthermore, do you really want to piss away 13% sales tax and then pay sales tax again when you register it in your state? (if you buy it in Alberta, you only pay 5% federal sales tax, no provincial sales tax.. yet..) Normally, if you're buying a product for export, you're tax exempt, but if you get a Canadian friend to buy it and then sell it you, tax will be incurred. The dealer can't fudge it because they will have to submit owner info to Toyota Canada and a US address ain't gonna fly. Giving a Canadian address will incur sales tax. Catch 22. When I purchased my Honda van 16 years ago, the van was made here in Ontario and I had to sign a paper saying I will not export it to the US. I've had a few BMW motorcycles and had to sign a similar paper for a model that's not sold in the US.

In Canada, if you want a double cab short bed with automatic and 4x4, you can't. Only the manual is available with the short bed and the auto with the long bed. So, we also have less choice.

17. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Just get the TRD Sport access cab manual and put front and rear ARB lockers in it for less than it would cost to import a TRD Off-Road from Canaduh....

bigcrab and AdventureKid[OP] like this.
  18. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    AdventureKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6MT
    Camper Shell
    @DJB1 Bingo. I agree. That's going to be the best bet.

19. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    vlodpg

vlodpg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6sp Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger/URD Stage II Clutch
    WTF is wrong with Toyota? They can't have 1 week a month for special option builds!

20. Aug 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Canada

and maybe not with the 76 cent dollar

Products Discussed in

To Top