1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 Tacoma V6 for towing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by methowtacoma, May 1, 2016.

1. May 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM
    methowtacoma

methowtacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    My wife and I are looking at mid-size trucks. We want to be able to tow a 4500lb travel trailer. The Tacoma V6, 4x4, with the towing package is rated at 6400lb capacity. Reviews are not stellar when it comes to the Tacoma's V6 power. The last thing we want to be is that annoying rig creeping up the pass at -50mph.
    We were partial to the 2016 Tacoma Limited crew cab, 4x4. I research the heck out of any vehicle before I purchase. Edmunds, Car & Driver, and all the other auto press seem to prefer the re-designed Colorado/Sonoma as the "better" vehicle. Slightly larger interior, quicker acceleration, better seats, better handling to name a few. While all these pluses may be true I am still skeptical of GM reliability and down the road the Tacoma will probably have a better resale.

Would welcome all opinions regrading towing prowess, seat comfort, handling, and acceleration.

2. May 1, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Get a 2015!:thumbsup:
    Still a few on the lots.

3. May 1, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    YDCtaco

YDCtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4-Auto
    Get a tundra or a diesel GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado if you don't have faith in the Tacoma. I just use my lx570(landcruiser) when I tow. It has the same 5.7l as the tundra.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. May 1, 2016 at 6:44 AM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    Depending on how far you're going to be towing and how often would determine my decision. If it's just a few times a year and the truck will be your daily driver a Tacoma would be great. If you're towing cross country and at a higher frequency I would look into getting a diesel. I've seen a towing video about the Tacoma. Check this out. They also have tested the diesel Colorado. Check them both out.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/12/2016-toyota-tacoma-real-world-mpg-towing-test-video/

The OR LB 16 likes this.
  5. May 1, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Luscious

Luscious Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport MT, QS DCSB
    Accolades for GM vehicles have much to do about advertising/marketing money expended. Recalls on all their vehicles are stellar and GM has history of not honoring warranties; Cadillac's, like Harley's, mark their parking place with oil. I have a 19 foot Coleman Bayside camper and a 17 ft Tracker walk-through bass boat to tow. As far as I can tell I need to stiffen the rear springs and add brake controller. Most, not all, of the complaining is without merit. V6 used in '16 has been used for years in Lexus 250/350 and acclaimed as one of best engines ever made; I've seen evaluations that say it may be best engine Toyota has ever made. D4-S system has also been used in high end vehicles for years, not just the putt-mobile. A/T transmission shifts differently than I'm use too but once "trained" seems to work just fine and gets good mileage; I've about 10k miles on mine since 1-15-16, do 100 miles/day to work and back, and no issues. Had out of state funeral to attend last two days and needed to be home at night for 90 lb pitt bull tending, 400 miles averaged 25 mpg at 60 - 65 on one tank full. Anticipate towing mpg much less but do-able. Truck has plenty of torque for my needs and I've received 1st ticket in 40 years doing 19 over and accelerating on a 55mph hi-way; cop liked the truck. So do I.

docsg likes this.
  6. May 1, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Markc1024

Markc1024 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also factor in your altitude and whether or not you'll be seeing lots of hills/mountains.

7. May 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    Johnny919

Johnny919 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
    I agree with what Launch21v said...depends on how often you would be towing. However, i personally wouldn't buy the diesel or gas version of the twins. Gas version is like 200 pounds more towing, and diesel is like 600 pounds more which isn't worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't get a diesel unless I'm towing like 10k+ often. The cost just isn't worth it.

If you plan on towing many times a year i would step up to full size f150 or silverado.

If not the tacoma should be fine. Test drive before hand.

melikeymy beer likes this.
  8. May 1, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    There is a thread or two already on towing that you might check out. Those I have heard from privately so far indicate pulling a 4500 lb rv is pushing the limits and might not be too fun. I am looking at rv's and pretty much decided to stay below 3500-3600 lbs. I'm guessing you would be happier with a full size.

9. May 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    A v6 is the wrong truck to safely pull a 4600 pound load down the highway. Is that the dry weight? Sure, our trucks are rated for 6400 but there is no way that will be safe going down the road with all the variable environmental conditions thrown into the mix. A good safe load is about 3600 lb max for our trucks. Sure you can pull more with a Tacoma but I would only do that around town if taking a big load to the dump or transporting a trailer a short distance.

Still at 3600 it is recommended you have air bags and a trailer sway devise. I also prefer trailer brakes. Get a 10ft box pop up if you are dead set on a V6 light duty truck or SUV.

Just my .02.

spaustia likes this.
  10. May 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    4500 lbs is a big trailer to tow regularly with a Tacoma. If your trailer was 3500 or less I think the Tacoma would pull it great. Also, towing at low elevation on flat land is a totally different beast than towing in the Rockies.Read other people's towing impressions here.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/gen-3-towing-thread.413026/

11. May 1, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    TacoJonn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    melikemy mybeer, Consider a Casita. My gen 1 pulls it great except for when it goes up steep grades. It weighs in at 2500 dry. Tons of room and amenities for the weight.

10351914_10152324041768883_6247243910249430568_n.jpg

12. May 1, 2016 at 9:12 AM
    Sbpark

Sbpark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    You need to give more details. How often will you be towing that much? Over what kind of terrain? At what altitude? It's a big difference towing that much weight at altitude up and over mountain passes compared to just going across town on flatland. BIG difference. With that said I towed 3000lbs in an enclosed UHaul trailer with no trailer brakes from Denver to the Bay Area via I80, so a fair bit of up and down, over passes, etc. I thought the truck performed very well, but with that said I wouldn't use a Tacoma regularly to do that trip. I'd have full confidence do it though once a year, every so often, etc., but not routinely. I bought my Tacoma more as a utilitarian vehicle, knowing it's not made with the specific intent of doing one thing exceptionally well, and just being half-assed as doing most things at an acceptable level. If towing is your main focus I'd say look elsewhere.

On a side note, I had zero issues with the transmission while towing and that was the only time I had ever towed with the Tacoma. I broke the engine in as the Owner's Manual described, etc. Wasn't until around 4,000 miles where I started having transmission issues with slipping gears, not going into drive even after I would put the truck into drive, a hard, notable 'clunk' when coming to a stop at lights, stop signs, etc., and twice the truck slipped into neutral on it's own when I was driving and tried giving it gas to accelerate. Took three trips to the dealer. Finally had them check the trans fluid level (it was low) and added transmission fluid but still had the problems, and the dealership was told by Toyota to clear the transmission and engine memory. Have not had any of these issues since, but the transmission doesn't seem super smooth and sometimes it seems like it's second guessing itself and trying to figure out what gear it wants to be in. Have no idea if this is a result of driving around so long with low trans fluid or if it's just the nature of the truck's transmission. Either way that whole experience with Toyota Corporate and the dealerships put a vey bad taste in my mouth and left me with little confidence in the brand. I really have no other gripes with the truck aside from the hesitation when you get on the gas (even in ECT mode) and the sometimes jerky feel of the transmission).

I'd say for hauling a few dirt bikes or ATV's, a small utility trailer, small fishing boat, and the OCCASIONAL heavy load/heavy trailer the Tacoma is perfectly fine. For regular 'heavy' towing though I'd look elsewhere. Not knocking the truck in that regard, because I just don't think that's what it was intended for. As mentioned previously, it's more of a jack of all trades, master of none truck, not a dedicated tow vehicle.

FWIW, I have a DCSB TRD Sport with the tow package.

spaustia and melikeymy beer like this.
  13. May 1, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    Sbpark

Sbpark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Anything will "pull great" on flatland. Heck, the VW Golf can pull a ton of weight on flat land. If it's lagging and coughing going up steep hills, at altitude, etc. it's probably not the best tool for the job.

14. May 1, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    methowtacoma

methowtacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the great replies. Wife agrees we need to put a cap. on the trailer we buy at 3600 lbs max. weight. We'll probably be on the road with the trailer maybe 2 months total per year. We live in WA state's North Cascades with mountain passes at 5,000'. But I suspect a lot of our travels won't include serious mountain passes. Any more comments on the seat comfort?

15. May 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM
    TacoJonn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I don't disagree at all. However, my gen 1 only has 190 hp + 220 lb/ft of torque.

16. May 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    In my opinion the seats on the Tacoma are really comfortable. I have not been in a Colorado but all of the reviews I have seen have said that the seats are too firm and are uncomfortable. I would ask for an extended test drive on both. Figure out what's best for you even if it's not a Tacoma.

17. May 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    anything over 3k lbs requires trailer brakes anyways.

the truck is rated for 6800lbs. so tow up to that. car company's are not known for going overboard on their tow ratings as usually its the exact opposite to help with lawsuits. h
    just have trailer brakes, a sway device is nice and be safe.

Johnny919 likes this.
  18. May 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    Johnny919

Johnny919 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
    The towing package also includes trailer sway control on the V6 only. A WDH will also help with anything over 3k pounds along with trailer brakes.

19. May 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    I have heard good things about the Casita but my wife insists on a separate toilet/bath configuration. Also, they are hard to find in my area. We are looking at the Keystone Passport Lite 151ML at 2,925 lbs dry weight.

As for the seats, I'm sure an F150 would be more comfortable but we want to off road when we get to our destinations. Tacoma also works better for me as a daily driver.

20. May 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    Sbpark

Sbpark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Why not look at a Tundra? They can be had for pretty darn near close to what a Tacoma cost.

Products Discussed in

To Top