1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016+ Toyota Tacoma OVTUNE 1.05 - Tune Development thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by OVTune, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    Updated 6/16/2020
    2.0 final / AT base
    https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/tacoma-2-0-final-auto-release

vF Tuner software is scheduled to be updated tomorrow, and then it's only wrapping up definition work for ECU support.

it is important to understand:
    1. You can select Dongle Trade In if you have traded in your original programming dongle (purple or mini black). This is NOT the OBDII device.

2. This software is NOT required for 2.0 for flash kit owners.

3. This software is NOT a required purchase for flash kit owners.

4. Flash kit owners who do purchase can download an optional Tune Pack that will let them have access to our tunes in vF Tuner.

5. If you decide to order, do NOT email us. We will email you an automated email with all of your information including the software, your master key (this is not tied to a pc), etc.

Please DO NOT purchase if you do not own a flash kit. If you *owned* a flash kit at one time but sold it, you are not eligible for this.

https://www.ovtuned.com/products/vforest-tuner-for-tacoma-flash-kit-owners?variant=31765448884311

First question everyone is going to ask. "does this affect 2.0 release? will we still get it?" No it does not, yes you will still get it.

What does this mean for the future?
    1. After 2.0 releases we will not be making more tunes (as a continual tune update process). But this is not new, we announced that when we were working on 2.0

2. We will focus on supporting Tacomas, and other Toyotas, through our software tool.

3. vF Tuner will come with simple example tunes that can be used. Optionally you can purchase a tune pack if you want tunes.

4. We will have instructional videos, references, and information about how to safely use our software for your truck.

5. Tacoma support will not end, as I said, I still expect to tune this truck over the next 5-10 years. But rather than just offering tunes, we will use our truck to develop features for our software that you can use, share, create from.

6. Everything boost related is still being worked on.Boost tunes will be available in vF Tuner.

7. Example tunes will be available and tune packs will be available.

8. vF Tuner is a tuning software, that lets you take control. You are not buying tunes, you are buying a tool. Example files are provided with the tool.

9. Will Flash Manager still be available? Absolutely.

10. What if we have a flash kit and want vF Tuner? You already have the flash license and the cable. If you'd like a license for the vF Tuner editor, you will be able to buy it for 60% off ($79)

11. Will OVTune continue making tunes? After we release 2.0 we will focus on feature support in vF.

12. I don't understand, if I buy vF Tuner.. do I get a tune? Not exactly.
    You get the tool to allow you to tune the truck yourself, and you get example tunes which you can use, modify, create from.
    If you want a tune as well, you will need to purchase a tune pack for vF.

13. What are these example tunes? They are tunes that are modified to show you how to make a tune.

14. How is this better for us(tacoma owners)? One of the biggest advantages right away is that when we develop a new features, or new option, it will be available right away in the next software update. Which gives immediate access for all ECUs. No more delays based on user feedback, tip in "likeness", or other things of that natures. The feature becomes immediately available, and you adjust it the way you want.

15. What if we have a handheld? Accessory version or OFT? We will still be providing the files from 2.0 for handhelds. OFT versions will also get access to a version of vF Tuner that works with those handhelds. So nothing really changes there.

16. Will we be selling more handhelds in the future? Very unlikely. The company that creates them is in Italy, which is really bad right now with COVID19, and to top that off, the parts they relied on came out of areas in asia that got hit even worse.

17. Will we will be sellling more flash kits after this? No. Instead we will be selling vF Tuner + optional tune packges.
    This gives you the option to purchase tunes from us or not, while still having the ability to tune your own truck.

18. What about dump tubes? Nothing changes with these. We will still provide our catted dumps.

19. Can I buy vF Tuner right now? We are expecting release by May 1rst.

20. What if I bought my Flash kit not long ago, why is it so cheap now? Unfortunately, I don't control the world, or world events. The price change reflects current market situation and future outlook and the fact that they won't be available again after this.

21. So we are screwed? OVTune is leaving us? .....I have a feeling people will think or ask this. Answer: No!

22. What if we have a dongle version kit? Nothing changes, although if you want vF Tuner you will need to use vF Tuners flash software. It is not compatible with dongle software.

23. This seems new, drastic.. what? Actually we have been talking about this for the last several months, and we have been working on this software since 2017. We are just making this change earlier than we expected.

If you guys have ANY questions please let me know.
    Do not be alarmed. Don't freak out. This transition was already planned to happen and we have been talking about it here and there over the last 6-8?+ months. We are just making this transition at a different time than we expected to.

Website info:
    FAQ PAGE
    https://www.ovtuned.com/pages/faq
    FLASH MANAGER PAGE / FLASH MANAGER FAQ / SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
    https://www.ovtuned.com/pages/flash-manager
    INSTRUCTIONS PAGE
    https://www.ovtuned.com/pages/instructions-downloads

Our tune kit is designed to work with stock and highly modified Tacoma 3.5L 2GRFKS to reflash the stock ECU for better driving / enhanced response, and more power.

- Our flash tune reports as "stock" via OBDII
    - Our flash tune (on a stock truck) has been emissions tested
    - Our flash tune has been independently tested and shown to increase MPG on the Tacoma by 2-3MPG on average (91 octane)
    - Our flash tune is tested, developed in house on our 2017 Tacoma 3.5L TRD
    - Our flash tune has ECU protection - You cannot brick or damage your ecu from our software
    Please see our terms and conditions for more information https://www.ovtuned.com/pages/tuning-performance-terms

Video Guide:

Information about current GEARLOCKING:

Current Full tune version: 1.05
    Current Torque converter stutter tune update (Automatic) 1.05.1

Currently in development: 2.0 EROM, Flash Manager 1.3.0

EROM 2.0 ( in development )

Tacoma EROM 2.0 - overview
    - New ignition code -
    IGNITION - EROM Maximum Efficiency
    - New Load code -
    Toyota Load Control - EROM Update
    - Torque- C Complete condensation of all torque tables
    - Throttle update - DBW linearization
    - Shift Control - Complete new shift code
    - Gearlocking - Enable by S mode, no longer enable by ECT
    - Torque converter tables - retune and eliminate slip settings that cause stutter
    -EROM Atkinson 2.0

- Airflow limits - recalibrated - helps with use of 1000-2500 RPM torque
    - Throttle Airflow conversion tuning, condensation
    - Completely new Valve timing table, coded from scratch, for maximum highway MPG
    Updates going into 2.0 Patch:
    - 87-93 Octane learning code - Patched ignition
    - ACIS Tuning
    - Downshift tables and downshift limit tables update (custom code)

Gearing
    - 4.88 specific gear tuning
    - 5.29 specific gear tuning (via user submission)
    -5.29 specific speed limitation / shift limitation fix.

EROM specific custom enhancements -
    New ignition code and patch
    New Load code and patch
    New shift code (upshift, downshift, table limits)
    new torque control code patch (transmission)
    new shift control code patch (transmission)

DUMP TUBE testing -
    STOCK TUNE VS DUMP TUBE (Catless) with 91, and 93 octane

91 vs 91.jpg

Older information - Independent test results / dyno
    (tested on 1.05)

EXPECTED GAINS WITH OUR TUNE:
    More information de-compiled tomorrow..
    So, to ensure total accuracy with tuning, and dyno accuracy, an indepedent dyno-jet test and tune was performed

Testing result - As tested
    peak gain / difference of 61 ft lbs @ 4100 RPM
    Peak gain / difference of 47 HP @ 4100 RPM
    Peak Gain @ 6000 RPM of 17 HP

Indepedent test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OVTUNE TEST TRUCK:
    2017 tacoma TRD PRO 4x4 with No engine Modifications and larger tires

Independent Emissions Test
    (our product is for off-road use, however we value the environment)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
    Current Version: 1.05 MPG VERSION
    1.05 Release information
    https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/tacoma-1-05-tune-release-information-complete-changelog

Current version Tune highlights:
    - Throttle control
    - Engine Torque
    - Engine Horsepower
    - Throttle limits
    - Ignition Timing
    - Valve Timing
    - Shift Tables
    - Torque converter lock tables
    - downshift controls
    MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
    Current Version: 1.05B

Current version tune highlights:
    - All of our 1.05 work above
    - Throttle by gear control tables
    - Throttle torque by gear control tables
    - Throttle limit control

87 Octane ACIS tuning and Toyota TSB test (to be released in 2.0 EROM)

Truck testing : 100% Bone stock 2017 Tacoma long bed. No modifications. Stock Tires.
    Testing included :
    - Stock ECU 04B03 (PRE TSB File)
    - STOCK ECU TSB 04B04 ( after seeing this nobody should be on the fence about updating to TSB, even if you're uninterested in tuning )
    - Tuned 04B04 Performance version 87 octane
    (93 octane testing will commence tomorrow)
    - Acoustic Valve Control Tuning - Optimal Torque point.

(when comparing these results to our test truck, please understand our test truck was tested under Dyno Dynamics wheel measure non shootout mode, which reads considerably lower.)
    These numbers are still accurate and what is expected on a Dyno Jet. NO dyno settings were modified.

Our Goal: Ensure we can provide the absolute BEST calibration for these trucks possible, even under strict octane requirements. More and more people want performance without paying at the pump. So we sought out to ensure that you are losing nothing by running 87 octane.

First we began with running 04B03 stock, vs 04B04 Stock.
    We set the truck up on the dyno, and ran 04B03.
    Immediately after we updated the ECU to Toyotas TSB ECU version 04B04 through techstream.
    - The truck immediately picked up a noticeable amount of low end torque and a positive gain or +6 horsepower over 04B03 stock. (note, no changes except updating to 04B04)
    [​IMG]

Next we sought out to tune the Acoustic Valve control. We all know that sudden "surge" in power about half way through the RPM band. Well this is the Acoustic Valve control activation.
    The ACIS has a 2 phase point, and has more than 1 RPM activation point depending on "low and High" opening / activation.

First we began by testing some slight RPM adjustments, and were able to eliminate the torque hole where the stock activation takes place.
    [​IMG]

Through further adjustments we were able to create a torque spike, but this is from a surge in manifold turbulence and you can see the resulting slope and recover afterwards. Not really ideal for tuning or driving.

[​IMG]

Finally after multiple tests we found the most IDEAL location (which is NOT stock) to create more torque in the lower RPM while reducing the torque slope after activation.
    You can see below, and we further smoothed this through changes to intake valve timing (which does NOT reduce any torque)
    [​IMG]

Finally, our resulting changes.
    -04B04 Performance 87 octane with the new ACIS tuned point

This is a tuned gain with 87 octane that will provide real world results where the truck is driven and needed the most.
    Include gear locking, and you've got more than 50 ft lbs available at 3100 RPM, tested. This is an absolute requirement for anyone who would like to tow WITHOUT having the engine screaming at 5000 RPM.
    (for people who are already on 04B04, testing results ~20-22 ft lbs)
    [​IMG]

Final result:

Note-

This is our 87 octane performance tune vs 87 octane stock tune.
    We get MANY requests about people wanting as much power and response while remaining on 87 octane, so we thought it would be best to give this octane the attention people are requesting.
    As a result we are seeing VERY good gains for 87 octane.
    Through tuning the intake manifold, modifying valve timing to create more torque where more flow is now available via intake manifold runner tuning, we have created even more torque in the low end than EVER before, on 87 octane.

Results below are how the truck came in (04B03 pre -TSB) To UPDATED 04B04 Tuned 87 octane. This is a massive difference.
    Now the engine is making more than 250 Horsepower, measured at the wheel, from 5200 RPM to 7000 RPM.

Through extensive testing, and months of development we have found, tested, and ensured we can continue to provide the absolute best, unmatched, calibration for these trucks possible.
    This includes development and testing for things that we had listed to do outside of our 1.05 release,
    - Acoustic Valve Tuning
    - Additional Intake and Exhaust Valve tuning to match new ACIS tuned points
    - Focusing on improving our 87 octane tune
    - Lower RPM torque gains are made NOT through ANY ignition or fueling changes. ONLY through modifications to throttle, torque, and shift limitations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLD Testing - 1.01 - 1.03

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd like to give you guys a little explanation on why this takes so much time, and why doing it this way is critical to making it right.
    But first, it is important to understand that yes, this tune is a continued work in progress. Which is why updates, all of them, are free. When writing code, analyzing code in assembly no less, and patching the code to do something different than designed, bugs can happen. They are rare, but can happen. Even the biggest tuning names in this business (EcuTek, Cobb, etc) that write custom code, are not always bug free.
    Limp modes, Engine power loss, throttle loss, etc.. it can happen. I've seen it, tuned it, experienced it on other platforms using custom patches to the ECU (Ecutek for example). That does NOT mean ecuteks software is not amazing, it's the absolute best in the business.
    But as a programmer, you cannot always foresee it before it happens. The code for an engine these days, even with a file as small as 4mb, is unimaginably complex at the assembly level. And that's the only way any of us get to analyze it.
    If a bug is found and it causes less than desirable, or even undriveable results, we are sorry about that, please, please let us know so we can quickly form a solution. I test EVERYTHING on my truck, but unfortunately I cannot test all versions of Toyotas code on my truck. I also cannot afford to go out and buy 10 different versions of this truck. We are in the process of purchasing a MT truck though. Each ECU ID = the code recompiled. Which means that everything is at a different hex address.

Now to explain why it takes so much time:
    Simply put, the complexity of the entire calibration can only be analyzed through assembly. Take 1.5 megabytes, and analyze it through something only 1 step higher than binary. It's a daunting task. Believe me I know I get too excited at times and post dates that I anticipate getting stuff done, but will be the first to admit I miss deadlines I set. I set these deadlines for a few reasons. I do not delay anything on purpose, there is always a reason.
    1. because of my anticipation of how it will go, without issues. (AKA, it will work this way, will be done by this time).
    2. Me wanting to get it out to you guys and get feedback.
    But as we know and have experience, this trucks code isn't A+B=C. And Only through working deep into the code do we stumble upon something else that takes more time to analyze.
    I have not analyzed the entire code of this ECU yet, even 2 years later, although in the last 6-7 months we have worked through more of it than all the other time combined.

That's only half the work. After analyzing it, testing it, finding limitations, now comes the harder part. Writing to code to get around it. It NEVER works the first time, and always takes rounds and rounds and rounds of testing, debugging, getting undesirable results, testing again, and reworking the code.
    Then, comes the next part. Converting data. Toyota does not use floating point for these ECUs. So not a single thing in the ECU represents real data. It all must be converted. That's a story for another time, but just know it's time consuming. For example in the ECU "16384" might equal "1.0" and "17256" might actually mean "510" in log-able format. For example the decimal "120" actually means "43.5" in fuel pump PSI.

why doing it this way is critical to making it right.
    Any tuner with the right software can tune a car. Very, very few tuners can go outside the boundary of that software they are using. I would wager only 1% of the tuners out there can even read or understand ECU code. being bound to that software means that you cannot ever tune something you don't have. A lot of tuners get stuck in this realm. I've been there. Those scenarios create "the best I can make, given the tools I have" type of tunes. Which, aren't always bad of course. Good software = good tune.
    I don't have any, premade software. This isn't a bad thing, because I have studied and learned to read the code, figure out problems on my own. But this also includes to the time consumption part. If I need a table, I have to go find it.
    The reason it is critical to making the tune right, is because while we are slow, we have no boundaries. Which means in the end there is nothing we cannot "tune."
    I fully anticipate, and hope to be, still tuning this truck 10 years from now. I honestly enjoy it. It's a big challenge, very fun, and the community is awesome. Also for the limitations of the truck, it's an awesome truck.

Thank you everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    RBfastback

RBfastback It's Got Electrolytes

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    FL
    Vehicle:
    16 mgm TRD off road
    yeah like selectable modes: tuned, oem, valet, anti-theft

fökai671, Taco Fan and Joe23 like this.
  3. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    Interested. Hope it works for the manual also.

4. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR 6AT 4x2
    My body is ready. I'm quite interested to see what you found out, and although I know it is a long shot I hope some of that could pave the way for an OTS tune for the 2.7 2TR-FE.

gavia, CMD-KY, Brice and 2 others like this.
  5. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    OP will be updated in a moment then I can respond to some questions

6. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    20tacoma17

20tacoma17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Lifted on 275/70/17
    Well if they can add some mpg, fix shift points and throttle response, I'd be in. But if the can squeeze a few extra hp/tq that would be a plus.

speedtre and KTJO 4x4 like this.
  7. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    1 moment!

goose443 likes this.
  8. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM
    gersus

gersus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCOR
    Lil lift, bumpers, SC, UCON, headers, etc.
    I would be hesitant to be a guinea pig. Maybe I'm just jaded by my bully dog experience...

9. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM
    20tacoma17

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Lifted on 275/70/17
    I don't think so, they were talking about this awhile back.

goose443 likes this.
  10. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR 6AT 4x2
    My guess is that there's some sort of intermingling with the transmission logic which is why it's so complex.

+MPG maybe, probably unlikely. The whole reason people are complaining is because Toyota was trying to squeeze every last bit of MPG out to please the EPA.

Shift points and throttle response though, yes those will almost definitely be a part of this...

11. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    WOTaco

WOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY near the old capital
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB TRD OR MT
    My shift points are dead nuts perfect.:burnrubber:

L3TT3RS, Intrepid, crepr12 and 5 others like this.
  12. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Not at this time. you can select from stock or our adjusted maps, each requires actually flashing the ECU with said map

We have yet to see a tune be released with the level of torque management detail we have been working on.

Raynord22 and KTJO 4x4 like this.
  13. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:02 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    The complexity is the extreme level of torque management that Toyota implemented into this ECU. the only way to make more power is disregard all the "basics" and focus totally and completely on the torque control tables and calculation tables for "x" result to "y" torque target

14. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM
    20tacoma17

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Lifted on 275/70/17
    So basically what can we expect? Any eta and cost on item?

Bbluetaco likes this.
  15. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra 4WD Crew Cab 5.7L Limited with TRD Off Road Package and Cement
    So you guys have cracked the Toyota ECU? Or is this a piggyback unit?

TacomaGold16 likes this.
  16. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    c4lvinnn

c4lvinnn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Was going to ask the same thing.

Also what are torque tables? Is this not a result of throttle, rpm, cam, timing etc in table format?

dYL0n likes this.
  17. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    oscolivar1

oscolivar1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Bilstein 8112/8100, JBA UCAs, Icon RXT leaf pack, work wheels 17x8.5;-10os, 285/75/17 cooper LTX AT3, Mobtown HC rear bumper and Sliders, SSO front bumper, BAMF greceased grill.
    Ecu tunes must be the new cool thing these day, this is out of my realm of knowledge, there is an ecu tune for my audi to go from 350 to 450hp just from a simple ecu tune. I'm usta just adding turbo and supercharger back in my high school days to make real power.

This will be interesting what you can can provide for us.

**clicked watch thread

Krucen 01 and dYL0n like this.
  18. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    c4lvinnn

c4lvinnn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road DCSB
    OV has been around for a few years and have a track record with Lexus and Toyota tunes.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  19. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    I assure you without a shadow of a doubt we can access your Tacomas ECU..
    I've already done the IS200T, RC200T, RC300/RC350 / ISx etc.
    I was just looking at the LC500 today, that's next on the list and uses the same torque management.

The next step for us is to get a local Tacoma on the dyno to adjust the torque maps and show the resulting gains. We also have already selected someone on here who will be working with us through the remote tuning process and will explain with the forum the relative process / and how things progress.
    The torque control maps are *literally* identical in layer and nature to another platform that we have already done so I have very confident

TacomaGold16 and KTJO 4x4 like this.
  20. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Biggest question: