1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma - OVTUNE - VFTUNER - Update Info and Original Development

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 6, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    shaggy135

shaggy135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red TRD 4x4 OR DCSB MT

Kind of the same, just wondering if I missed something. 2.0 SuperFOB, 4.88 gears, 285/70R17 tires. I have a front bumper with a winch, bed rack and rtt. On the flats it feels fine but going up hills I'm still having to downshift into 5th and sometimes 4th.

2. Mar 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    92ehatch

92ehatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue DC TRD OR 6MT
    Yeah looks like the old flash manager is gone

3. Mar 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    hkdtaco

hkdtaco Active Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Blackhawk Tune, KING 2.5, RRW, 295/70R17, S&B
  4. Mar 6, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    BrettsMac08

BrettsMac08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport | 2002 Camaro SS
    KDMax Tuned | MagnaFlow Exhaust | OEM Audio Plus Reference 450Q | TRD Pro Wheels | AT Tires | LED Interior Lighting
    Haven’t logged in for a couple months, go one page back on the thread and boom, the exact question and answer I was looking for is right there. Where’s that Staples Easy Button? Thank you Mat!

I just realized it has been almost one year to the day (3/10/2020) since my flash kit was delivered. I think that puts me in the list of nearly the last ones to get it before it was discontinued for VF. I’m on 04B04 2.0 Prem stock everything and it’s been pretty solid all around though gear lock would be super for the highway and it does have some random surges in the power band that kinda make the truck shake back and forth during hard acceleration but I figure it’s just the VVT-i doing it’s thing. Getting closer to 80,000 miles on the Taco every day and I think at least 15K tuned.

Feels weird having not flashed anything since June of last year after all the betas week after week, so much so that I forgot my OVTune apps were in a virtual machine and bought a new M1 based Mac come to realize I can’t run my old X86 VM’s, lol. Guess I get to keep my old Intel one around a little while longer until Microsoft can get ARM based Windows up to speed with running X86 code. But that’s all beside the point.

A sincere thanks for the hard work team, looking forward to whatever this will turn out to be!

5. Mar 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

If you're bored and feel like flashing stuff @PapaRee tunes are fantastic.

TWTaco and PapaRee like this.
  6. Mar 6, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    You can’t transfer the license but you can sell the hardware for $150-200.

Skydvrr likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Pm me. I would like to buy it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    uploadadventure likes this.
  8. Mar 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift (Coilovers and AAL) 285/65R18 tires 18" Fuel wheel/tire package Pro Grill, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, DD SS3 Pro Fogs Body Armor Front and Rear Bumpers Pioneer WC6600 head unit w/ OEM Audio + Reference 500 System with dedicated sub amp Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits Meso Overhead Molle Rack, Seat Risers, Katzkin Leather seats (self installed...it was a fucking bitch) VFTuned .....KDMax Pro!
    Buy credits, add your buddies vin and tune his truck (make a few bucks on the side). Do this a half dozen times and you have paid for your system.

9. Mar 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    BrettsMac08

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    KDMax Tuned | MagnaFlow Exhaust | OEM Audio Plus Reference 450Q | TRD Pro Wheels | AT Tires | LED Interior Lighting
    Hey thanks! I'll check it out!

OK so that is something I've totally missed out on. I never went ahead and got VF since I never felt the need/desire to edit/write my own tunes but would love to continue to get some sort of updates as folks find things that improve this truck and flash whatever OV puts out next or things the community is loving. So, sounds like just installing vF Tuner on my PC that already has the working OVTune Flash Manager set up and registered, should "just work" or is there more to it? I do still have my .reg key that edits the registry if needed, though it's already loaded in place.

In fact, I just installed it but didn't see the application for just flashing in the program files unless it's inside the normal executable. That said, I cannot seem to open it as I am using a VM. But I've had zero issues using Flash Manager on this Mac/VM thus far, I just ensure the cable is connected to the VM and not the host first and it's been consistent smooth sailing.

Has anyone found a decent workaround for this? Or perhaps a setting to make the application ignore the fact that it's in a VM?

upload_2021-3-6_21-15-7.jpg

To be clear, this is when launching vF Tuner directly after installation, Flash Manager is just running in the background since I was checking to be sure it was still OK.

The directory in my case is as follows if it helps. Just grabbed it right off the site this evening.

upload_2021-3-6_21-17-7.jpg

All else fails, I'll just wait and see what Mat/OVTune has in mind for this new application to let us "old school" Flash Kit owners get further updates to the tune pack/2.0 etc. It's been fine since June, so what's a few more months right?

Thanks in advance!

10. Mar 6, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    If you download the most recent version of Vftuner, it is different. It does not have the same way of flashing.
    The older versions of Vftuner had a flash tool in the program files.

What exactly are you trying to flash?

Rocky.Mtn likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    BrettsMac08

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Interesting! So the latest 1.2.9.8 must have changed the directory structure I take it. Hadn't used any prior to tonight. And man you're fast! Perhaps if there's an older installer available I could try that as well.

So far, nothing! Haha. I was going to look around the forums for what you're putting out that was recommended above actually! Since it's the weekend.

Though while I'm here - If there's something based on 2.0 Premium (or even 87 with the way 91 is at $3.09 currently in KS) that brings something to the table the standard 2.0 doesn't have or smooths things out a bit, I'd be all for trying it! My truck is virtually stock other than some slightly larger AT's and a Magnaflow catback exhaust which I can't imagine does much more than make extra noise :)

For my particular truck it seemed the 91 octane tune did feel smoother or register ever so slightly better on the butt dyno so my truck hasn't seen 87 for almost a year. But with prices going up it would be good to have my PC back to being able to flash back and forth between octanes, or if you've got a great 87 tune that the community is pretty happy with, I'd give it a shot. But 91 seemed to make my Taco happy.

Thanks a ton!

12. Mar 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    PM sent.

BrettsMac08[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM
    Anderson5290

Anderson5290 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Tuned Fox 2.5 resi with dsc, JBA HD UCA, total chaos knuckle gussets, rear trd pro fox shocks, Deaver U402 stage 1 rear leafs, archive garage u bolt flip with fox 2.0 air bumps, White knuckle off road rock sliders, BAMF 1/4” steel skids, Magnaflow exhaust, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Cbi high clearance rear bumper, 285/75/16 tires.
    Damn I wish 91 was $3.09 around here haha, cheapest around me I’ve seen is $3.95.

BrettsMac08[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    BrettsMac08

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Hot dang! I shan’t complain then! Filled up the Camaro and it was nearly $50 at $3.09, but that’s top tier Quik Trip gas around here. Otherwise I use Sams Club because it’s a whopping $.60/gal less at $2.59 for 91, just not top tier rated. No idea where that stuff comes from but it’s good enough for the Tacoma. The poor Camaro may sit in the barn for a few months before it’s ran again so a tank on that takes darn near 4-5 months to go through.

Sams is magic though. 91 is priced about what 87 is at any other station. And 87 is about $.20 lower than normal stations. The delta between 87 and 91 normally is $.60/gal but only $.20/gal there. Granted it has a yearly cost but it’s worth it for gas and diapers in bulk having kids!

Anderson5290[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    trdquoc

trdquoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    "Q"
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCLB TRD-Offroad
    Look in your VFTuner Folder...

16. Mar 10, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    Wanted to post here to let people know we are working as fast as possible, non stop to get back to people.
    So many people are ordering, updating, upgrading, etc we are a bit overloaded.

And we are waiting on another batch of cables.

Please understand if you order there will be some delay on shipping, communications, etc.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    foobs, chittyrox, ownubad and 6 others like this.
  17. Mar 10, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

As much as I get annoyed with things, tune wise and communication wise, giving out your personal cell is shity thing to do. That's a bummer man.

ezatnova, TWTaco and Shellshock like this.
  18. Mar 10, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    People suck

9B01FC12-050F-4D9C-A3CC-C247BF0868EC.png

19. Mar 10, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    That should in the 1st Post. :rolleyes:

uploadadventure likes this.
  20. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    lockwardj

lockwardj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julio
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tacoma DCSB V6 SR5
    TRD Pro leather (Alea Interior) Front Bilstein 5100 TRD Pro Grille w/raptor lights Ray 10's 17x9 -38 (275/65) Tonneau BakFlip MX4 Hiline Bumper with a 22" led LB
    I’m planning on buying the software this week, question is, how’s the sample tune? Is that the 2.0 or what? Is it hard to modify your own tune? Is it hard to get it on Boot camp for Mac?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top