1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma - OVTUNE - VFTUNER - Update Info and Original Development

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 26, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    InternationalHarvester

InternationalHarvester VF Pro Licensed, KDMAX Authorized Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    I’m hving a hell of a time getting through this process. I’ve got windows 10 installed. When I go to run GrdTRU.exe it says “dongle with specified conditions not found”. Any thoughts?

Additional info:
    I’ve downloaded tactrix, the dongle driver and pcmflash

2. Dec 26, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    install guardant drivers first
    https://www.guardant.com/support/download/drivers/

3. Dec 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    Wow! Thanks for your quick response Matt. I did that though. After I downloaded the driver, I plugged in the USB and it says “USB dongle is not accessible (0). Please check if it is connected and restart application. Application version: 1.1.83”

4. Dec 27, 2017 at 4:01 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB 6MT BBP ABCDEFG
    OVTune Verified Purchase
    I had a similar same issue. Everything worked fine setting up the dongle with GrdTRU.exe, but when I ran pcmflash I got the same error message as you. I tried everything I could think of, but unfortunately in the end I had to use a different computer.

5. Dec 27, 2017 at 4:38 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    Same here, kinda. I was on the 3rd laptop, all with the same configuration and even then
    I changed usb ports 3x before it worked and all of them work fine for anything else, very
    odd the key dongle was picky like this.

6. Dec 27, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    Wow, that would be awfull considering I just spent all day yesterday getting that computer ready for this tune. That’s bad news fellas. I even bought windows 10 to put on that computer thinking “it’d be better if it was all updated”. Any way to confirm the problem is the computer? I don’t have any other other computer, I’ve already tried to borrow one and I don’t feel like buying another one especially if that computer might do the same thing. ... wow, supper crappy to hear this.

7. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OVTune Verified Purchase
    Well, it tough to say what exactly the problem is because everything worked fine when running the GrdTRU.exe setup. I also ran the Guardant diagnostic utility and it was able to see the dongle and everything. The only thing that couldn't see it was pcmflash. That's where I saw the error you mentioned. When I ran it on my wife's laptop, it worked fine, so I stopped trying to solve the problem on my laptop.

I have seen others report success with using a USB splitter or hub or even simply trying different USB ports. My laptop only has 2 USB ports and it didn't work with either of them. I don't have a USB splitter or hub so I didn't try those options, but they're pretty cheap so it would be worth trying before giving up. I may do this as well just to see if I can get it working on my laptop. Hope it works for you.

Also, make sure Windows Defender is turned off before downloading and running pcmflash. It turns itself back on eventually and will delete pcmflash for you.

speedtre likes this.
  8. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    I downloaded tactrix it seems without a problem. When I download the guardant software protection, a window pops up and it says installed, but I can’t seem to do anything with it (I don’t think there’s anything for me to do anyway). When I download the other guardant thingy I get an error message and when I try to run pcm flash I get an error message.

When I look at the settings on the computer, it says something about the driver not being found or something like that. Sounds to me like I didn’t download something right but I don’t know how to find out.

Comb, how do I run guardant diagnostic utility?

Anyone in the Long Beach, CA area willing to help a buddy out? As you can probably tell, I’m not the sharpest computer guy. I’m an 11 year journeyman electrician. I’d be willing to trade services or pay you. ...seriously please help

9. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OVTune Verified Purchase
    Did you install the Guardant drivers (GrdDrivers.exe)? That has to be done before anything else. Once that is done, you plug in the dongle and run the GrdTRU.exe file and send some codes back and forth to OVTune. After that's done, you open pcmflash. That's where I got the error message.

It sounds like the drivers may not have installed correctly (or maybe not at all) for you. Make sure Windows Defender is off and try running the GrdDrivers.exe file again to make sure the drivers are installed. If they are already installed, try uninstalling and reinstalling just to be sure they're not screwed up somehow. As for the diagnostic utility, it can be found by clicking on "Guardant drivers" in the Windows Control Panel. When that opens, there is a button to run diagnostics.

10. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    Thank you. I’ll try those things again just to double check, but I’m pretty sure I’ve done that already. When I click on guardant, a window pops up (the image of a castle about 2”x2” on my screen). The only button on the window is one that says uninstall. I’ve gone back and forth with install and uninstall and nothing seems to work.

Windows defender is off I think(it took me about 45 min to figure it out with the help of YouTube)

11. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Taco Tip Line: 248-434-5508

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 V6 Sport AC MT
    Lots-o-stuff
    I've had the best luck with USB related drivers by booting Windows 10 into Advanced Mode to allow unsigned drivers. Follow the steps under section number one of the site linked below. If you're a bit more tech savvy, you can try the methods shown in section two, or three, but section one is the easiest and safest. Unplugging all other USB devices also helps.

You'll boot Windows 10 into Advanced Mode and then install all of the tune related software. Note: The next time you reboot, Win10 will revert back to disallowing unsigned drivers.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-unsigned-drivers-windows10/

DakoTaco and speedtre like this.
  12. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    Thanks for this option. I’ll give this a try

13. Dec 27, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    I just checked out the article. It doesn’t look like I can do this (at least as described) because I don’t have the keys on my keyboard that are described (I’m running Windows 10 on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro).

Anybody successfully running Windows on bootcamp that can guide me through this process?

14. Dec 27, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OVTune Verified Purchase
    Mixed reviews from those running bootcamp. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. OVTune even recommended it but then later said it didn't work. Hopefully someone who's used it successfully can chime in and help you.

15. Dec 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    I had the issue on my mid 2012 MBP and just swapped what USB I was using for the dongle. But I have a USB 2.0 and 3.0 on my MBP. It works in the USB 2.0 but not sure what the 2014 has. Dongle had to be in the USB 2.0 for me.

speedtre likes this.
  16. Dec 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    I have two USB ports as well. I’ve tried them both. My intuition tells me that I’m not downloading the drivers right. Is there a way to confirm that they are downloaded and are in the right place? In the instructions, it says that once the guardant driver is installed, it should show up on my desktop. That never happened for me. I wasn’t sure if I did it right or not so I clicked the download button again and the image of the castle shows up. The image is about 2”x2” (not an icon). On the image, the only button there says “uninstall”. That leads me to believe I did it right, but it’s not on my desktop.

17. Dec 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned

Here’s where I’m at:
    From the instructions page, I click the link where it says “Guardant software protection drivers”. It takes me to a page that gives me the option to download. I plugged the purple usb into my computer and hit download. When I do that, an image comes up with a button that says uninstall. Without hitting that button, I went back to the instructions page and clicked the link user “Guardant software license installer”. It takes me to a page that says “no preview available” and gives me an option to download. Then I get an error message that says “Dongle with specified search conditions not found”.

18. Dec 27, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    42A48BD7-25FF-43C8-8290-81C88B34476D.jpg
    Here’s the error message

19. Dec 27, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    InternationalHarvester

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    Ha!!!!! I think I did it!!!! Holy s^%t that was easy.... NOT! Lol. We’ll see. Thanks to everyone that helped me. I really appreciate you guys taking the time with me. The funny thing is that I’m a youngster (34) and I should be better at these things, but I’m such a dummy

TRDOBSESSED and speedtre like this.
  20. Dec 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    rukness

rukness Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just got my kit and all drivers/software installed. So excited to see what the fuss is all about. Now its a matter of waiting for the licensing answer key. halppppp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top