1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016+ Ute Ltd. Tray Install

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Ralf, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    Ralf

Ralf [OP] Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    ARB Summit Bar Safari Snorkel
    You want to get a flat deck? Well here’s an affordable option for North American’s.

DECK 10.jpg

Side note, I’m not done yet with this build, but this is a good start for those who have questions and are looking to go the same route.

I decided to start a new thread, solely for the purpose that this applies generally to 3rd generation Tacoma’s. This also uses some of the best ideas and improvisations that I found in other threads. This doesn’t apply to all brands, but solely the Ute Ltd. out of Seattle WA.

Ute Ltd. is an affordable alternative to Norweld. It’s simpler, not as beefy, bolt together, lighter deck system. The decks still come from Australia, and are still aluminum. There’s more DIY involved, but that’s where you save money.

I present to you, a lengthy, but detailed write up.

Let’s start with ordering.

The deck itself.

I ordered mine through West Coast Off-Roaders, out of BC. They have a contact that imports the decks from Seattle and saves me a bunch on shipping and border hassle. This is the solution for Canadian buyers. For the guys in the United States, just go directly to Ute Ltd. They include all hardware, and then some, to put everything together, ie; fender hardware, side panel hardware, headache rack.

DECK 33.jpg

Now generally, the length options are 5.5ft for 5ft boxes DCSB trucks, and 6.5ft for the 6ft DCLB/ACLB trucks. I went with a 6ft deck. I love it. It’s just like the Hilux trucks have in Australia. They’re generally 6ft long trays on DCSB trucks. So that being said, not sure if there are 7ft options available for the DCLB/ACLB trucks, but I will leave that up to you. That would be my choice if I had the long box.

Additional parts:

You will need new mounting bolts. That’s where the brackets mount the deck to your frame. Depending how much shimming work you do, the following lengths and sizes may be required;
    • M12 x 40mm 1.25 Fine Thread
    • M12 x 50mm 1.25 Fine Thread
    • M12 x 60mm 1.25 Fine Thread
    • M12 x 70mm 1.25 Fine Thread
    • M12 x 80mm 1.25 Fine Thread
    • 1”x2”, 1/8” thick aluminum square tubing
    I used 40mm length bolts at the front, closest to the cab, and 70mm length bolts at the rear, with 1-3/16” spacer in the rear to keep the deck from looking like it was “sagging” or leaning.

DECK 12.jpg

Fuel System Filler Extension

This will come down to personal preference. I personally wanted the deck as close to the cab as reasonably possible. So I used roughly 2ft of hoses to extend these upwards. The end result is super clean and I’m extremely happy with it. Hose measurements are inside diameter. I picked up the following;
    • 2.5” Exhaust Clamp
    • 3ft, 1” Fuel Line
    • 3ft, 5/8” Fuel Line
    • 3ft, 1/4” Fuel Line
    • Hose clamps to match the above hoses
    DECK 2.jpg

Lighting

This isn’t finished yet for me, but there’s 2 main options.
    1. Re-use your OEM tail lights but turning the sideways like I did (this is a temporary solution for me).
    2. Cut and splice your own lighting or purchase the light kit from Ute Ltd. and cut and splice.

Tools Required
    • Hoist, crane, forklift or a second, able bodied human
    • Impact driver
    • Ratchet
    • 19mm wrench
    • 10mm wrench
    • 19mm socket
    • 10mm socket
    • 12mm wrench
    • 12mm socket
    • Torx T50
    • Torx T30
    • Tape Measure
    • Philips Screw Driver
    • Flat Head Screw Driver
    • Plastic Clip removal tool
    • Sawzall
    • Pipe cutting wheel
    • Drill bits, 1/2” 1/4"
    • Large clamps
    This is what I can remember for tools we used.

Installation

Minimum 2 people can do this by hand, unless you’ve got a hoist, crane or forklift, then you can do it by yourself. I had the deck delivered to my work, then loaded it on my box to take to my buddies garage.

DECK 36.jpg
    DECK 37.jpg

Pulling off the factory box

There’s your main 6 mounting bolts, I believe these required a Torx T50 bit. I recommend dousing them in penetrating fluid before attempting removal.

The tail lights will have to be removed in order to disconnect the wiring. Easy, two 10mm bolts, and then just pull. Watch this video for reference.

Tail Light Removal

DECK 24.jpg

Using the Torx T30 bit, remove the electrical outlet, and disconnect the plug.

Using the T30, remove all the screws holding the tailgate cover on. This will gain access to your back up camera. Two 10mm bolts to remove the camera. Disconnect the camera, and then feed the wiring out. Reinstall the cover.

DECK 25.jpg

There’s a couple of plastic clips which suck to take off for the wiring. They’re on there good. Take off all of these that are mounted to the boxes underside and inside the tail light housing.

DECK 26.jpg

Now that all the wiring is disconnected, and the bolts are off. Time to lift off the box. It’s surprisingly heavy.

DECK 28.jpg

Wash your frame. Cover up the connectors and wash it. You’re already here, might as well do it.

DECK 30.jpg

Installation of your new flat deck

Depending on your length, you will receive 2 or 3 cross bars. The rear one is the fixed one in my case, and the front is adjustable.

Just snug up any hardware. Don’t tighten anything until it’s set in place and are 100% satisfied with its location.

The front cross bar has more left to right adjustment. Just make sure you don't forget to bolt the 3 pieces together, unlike myself... Whoops.

Assemble the front cross bar. Lay it place with your M12 bolts to keep it losing position.

DECK 13.jpg

Mount the rear cross bar. Now you can add shims right away, or afterwards. It’s not difficult to add them afterwards. Again, using the M12 bolts to snug the cross bar in place on the factory box mounts.

Now you’re ready to at least place the deck on your frame.

DECK 15.jpg

Bolt on the headache rack. It’s pretty easy. There’s a part to cover the gap between the rack and the deck, it slides into a rail on each end. It helps having a second person for this.

DECK 16.jpg

Once the head ache rack is in place, slide the deck forward on the crossbars to the desired distance from the cab.

Measure, measure, measure. If you want it perfect, you’re going to ensure equal measurements multiple times. So keep that tape measure handy.

Fuel system

We ended up doing this after putting the deck in place, but also measured to ensure we had enough space to mount it adequately.

DECK 17.jpg
    DECK 18.jpg

We cut the factory filler neck in two locations. Removed the system entirely from the tank, which is where you’ll need the 12mm socket. To undo the clamp that holds the 3 lines in place. The main fuel line is clamped in and using a Phillips head screw driver, undo the clamp. The breather line is just held on with a clip. The vacuum line is also a push style connector. Then the hole system comes off.

Now you can cut it using a pipe cutter or sawzall. Sawzall is quicker...

DECK 21.jpg

Now comes the fun part, drilling the holes in the frame of the deck, to secure it to the mounting brackets. Using the clamps to ensure that the deck does not move during this process.

Drilled on hole forward, on the lower oval, and the other reward, so I had some room for adjustment with one bolt or the other.

DECK 19.jpg
    DECK 20.jpg

Once everything is bolted together, you can attach the fuel filler neck using the 2.5” exhaust clamp. To keep the filler cap from going missing, we drilled a small hole into the window guard of the headache rack and it popped the lead tab right in.

DECK 22.jpg

Lighting

I just attached the factory lights until I find a better solution. Ute Ltd. also sells a light kit, cutting and splicing is required. One of the bolts for the original tail lights lines up with a pre-drilled hole on the deck, the other you have to line up and drill.

DECK 3.jpg

So once we had everything finished, I noticed the deck “leaned” towards the rear, almost like the frame was bent. That’s just do to the way it’s mounted to the frame. Simply added a 1” tall spacer to the rear mounting locations and it levelled the deck so the rake matches the truck.

DECK 4.jpg
    DECK 7.jpg

Fenders

There's a bracket kit that comes with the deck. There's plenty of adjust-ability with the fenders. The holes are pre-drilled.

DECK 14.jpg

Attaching the side panels is easy. Mount the bottom latch to the pre-drilled holes and then snap the panels in place. They lock together easily.

DECK 5.jpg
    DECK 6.jpg

And there you have your newly installed Ute Ltd. flat deck.

BEFORE

DECK 23.jpg

AFTER

DECK 9.jpg

2. Aug 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    m.reed.1

m.reed.1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TACOMA TRD OFFROAD 4WD
    A few
    First one to comment! Looks bad ass and I’ll definitely be doing this!

Ralf[OP] and POSTacoMike like this.
  3. Aug 30, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    POSTacoMike

POSTacoMike On the rocks, please

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Red Deer AB
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma DC XPreRunner
    OME Suspension, ARB Bumper, frame swap, Rebco logger box.

Love it! Can’t wait to see it in action! Let’s go hit ruby falls this fall! :thumbsup:

Ralf[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Tacomagnetic

Tacomagnetic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    '18 Off Road MGM
    Even though I'm now out of my Tacoma and into an '02 Sequoia, I had to stop in and comment. The Quicksand colour really gives it that FJ45 vibe, which I love. Great job man, I'm sure this rig will turn a lot of heads!

jhartfelder and Ralf[OP] like this.
  5. Aug 30, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Nice

Ralf[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 30, 2020 at 1:40 PM
    mgmdclb

mgmdclb Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Maritimes, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DCLB Sport
    Just seen this on the True North Taco page on FB, turned out great!

Ralf[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:11 AM
    cools20

cools20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cooley
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    i mob dirty
    shits built
    Nice write up :thumbsup: wish I had something like this to follow when I was building mine ha

Ralf[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 31, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Very cool.

POSTacoMike and Ralf[OP] like this.
  9. Sep 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Awesome. Nicely done

Ralf[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    Bowhunt_Bendpolez

Bowhunt_Bendpolez New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Great build thread! Thank you. Been wanting to flatbed by gen3 since I got it. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the tray cost you with out the shipping. I’m in Hawai’i so I already know that part will be an arm and a leg.

Ralf[OP] likes this.
  11. Jun 14, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    Ralf

Ralf [OP] Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    ARB Summit Bar Safari Snorkel
    Thank you! I really wanted to like the Ute product more, but it just didn't meet my expectations in the end.. It's certainly cost friendly. So instead, I took what I liked and designed my own. Now we operate Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd. Proudly manufactured right here in Canada!

I would love to steer you towards our product, as we have one schedule to leave for Hawaii in the coming weeks! Shipping isn't horrible due to the headboard being removable.

The Ute Ltd will run you about $4,000 shipped or so.

Depending on options, ours will run $6,000+.. But we also take a whole lot more into consideration. Proper mounting brackets. Full plug and play wiring. LED lighting. Modular system that you can add tool boxes and other items with extreme ease!

Currently I don't know the lead time of the Ute Ltd product. We are booked into September currently.

Hope this helps! Attached a photo for the current configuration, along with a few others we've done;

SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS TACOMA TOYOTA 6FT 72 FLATBED UTE TRAY DETAILED 1.jpg SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS TACOMA TOYOTA 5FT THREE QUARTER 3-4 CANOPY 18.jpg SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS JEEP GLADIATOR TACOMA TOYOTA 84 SERIES FLATBED UTE TRAY 1.jpg SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS JEEP GLADIATOR TACOMA TRUNDLE DRAWER FLATBED UTE TRAY 2.jpg SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS TACOMA TOYOTA 7FT 84 FLATBED UTE TRAY FIRST GENERATION 1.jpg SUMMIT EXPEDITION TRUCKS FORD F250 F350 RAM 1500 2500 3500 TUNDRA TOYOTA FLATBED UTE TRAY 2.jpg

Gazziza, RauthBjorn and SR-71A like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top