1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Truck.....and It's Driver.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by BadKitty, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    BadKitty

BadKitty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD-offRoad 6spd
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    Welcome!!! Yeah you'll definitely enjoy this site as there is a plethora of knowledge and good people that come with it. I'm not a third gen guy but ya know ....I believe someone just came out with a header for that motor....but don't quote me on that.

Juan

3. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    NickTaco

NickTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF BayArea
    Vehicle:
    23' TRD OR DCLB 4X4 MGM
    welcome mate!

4. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    While some aftermarket companies allege various Horsepower gains for the intake and/or exhaust, What I noticed most with the pair of these parts installed is how much smoother and more precise the engine 'revs' now. The 6-speed gearbox on this truck is excellent, has great feedback and throws, slots into gear well and has useful rev ranges for all gears. 1,2 and 3 (where the majority of fast revving gear changes occur) are quick and deliberate in their selection, both up and down and the revvs of those gears (and all others) have a great 'feeling' and 'flow' to them. It may be that because so much of the manual transmission experience is indescribable 'feeling' that these particular additions to the vehicle have made a profoundly positive impact on the connection to the truck.

Seat-of-the-pants: It feels as if the Truck had a rag pulled out of its mouth or a backpack of bricks taken off its back, and it now pulls through the RPMS with a MUCH smoother, cleaner effort. Throttle response is fantastic, and it drives like I would imagine a baby trophy truck would feel.

*: on a lighter note, "Cold air intake" and "cat-back exhaust" talk is Grade-A Tacomaworld 3rd-gen bait. I do NOT have a dyno sheet or metered data for the performance of these parts. Further, I only drove approx ~1100 miles (in 24 days) from dealer lot to installation of the Kit, with the Truck in its factory TRD-off road configuration.
    From a purely 'numbers' or 'metered' standpoint, neither the exhaust nor intake (or the combination of) are going to yield any real world horsepower gains that will make you instantly say "WOW what a difference those made" especially for the automatic crowd.

That said, from my experience the intake and exhaust combo will make a noticeable and positive performance enhancing change to that "feeling" or "connection" to the engine Rev's, throttle control and gear changes that only manual-transmission drivers will feel or understand. This isn't intended as an argument, but I think any driver can agree, that manual transmission vehicles all have a "feeling" to them and the manual experience is categorically different from the automatic.

In either the automatic or manual application, the intake-exhaust combo will yield sound, and minor performance gains. But, for manual drivers, you will instantly 'feel' the difference, and you will wonder how they even ship these trucks without this configuration.

5. Dec 3, 2016 at 9:22 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
  6. Dec 4, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    I found out urd came out with the y-pipe for the 16 on a thread a week or so ago. I believe there was a pic showing how it's rerouted.

7. Dec 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a whip-flag (baja flag, orange dune flag) base or mount for the Tacoma bed rail or other wise, would be much appreciated.

8. Dec 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
  9. Dec 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    Halena Molokai

Halena Molokai Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 TRD DCSB OR 4x4 MT6
    BFG KO2 265/70/17 Moto Metal 17x 9 -12mm ToyTec Boss 2.0 lift Kit Wet Okole, Ceramic tint 35% Bakflip F1 Flowmaster Exhaust Single in /Dual out with 3"stainless tips DashMat Covercraft Custom windshield shade Tilt Alarm Weatherbeater Mats Diode Dynamic LED upgrade to interior OEM Bed Mat OEM 5" Chrome Side Steps
    I have the exact same truck but with flowmasters Delta 40, I was wondering how much louder is the cab noise from the CAI at 60/70 mph in 5th/6th gear? tks

10. Dec 10, 2016 at 2:50 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Not sure if I noticed any significant change in sound at highway speeds after installing it. The intake sound is best heard under acceleration load, rather than at a cruise.

11. Dec 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    FirstTacoma!!

FirstTacoma!! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    PRO GRILLE, RIGID FOG LIGHTS, Katzkin leather, TRD skid plate, LED conversion throughout, Toyota love.
    I am thinking of getting the air intake..you love the sound, feel, and overall look of having it right?

No improvements/negative effects of the intake correct?

Thank you!

Hey I

12. Dec 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    Red-Paint

Red-Paint Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC TRD
    Painted grill and rear bumper, Removed all badges and stickers, Tint, OME lift TRD wheels and BFGs on order.
    Adding any bolt on item to your truck won't help mpg or it would come that way. A gain of .5 is huge in the truck market. Im considering adding a new exhaust to mine for the sound and have done so to close to 25 trucks but it won't help MPG. Back in the 70s-80s (flowmasters and KnN filters) they would claim it helped. We all did this to our trucks. They were stopped from false advertisement. Now a supercharger were getting somewhere !!!!

13. Dec 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Bravisimo

Bravisimo So many mods, very little money.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    Tint, headlights wrapped & rear lights smoked, power outlet mod., grill & rear bumper wrapped, Falken A/T 3W,
    By any chance, does any one know if swapping out a 2014 SR5 PreRunner exhaust with a 2015 Toyota TRD Sport Exhaust is possible? Benefits?

14. Dec 14, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    Halena Molokai

Halena Molokai Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 TRD DCSB OR 4x4 MT6
    BFG KO2 265/70/17 Moto Metal 17x 9 -12mm ToyTec Boss 2.0 lift Kit Wet Okole, Ceramic tint 35% Bakflip F1 Flowmaster Exhaust Single in /Dual out with 3"stainless tips DashMat Covercraft Custom windshield shade Tilt Alarm Weatherbeater Mats Diode Dynamic LED upgrade to interior OEM Bed Mat OEM 5" Chrome Side Steps
    Tks for the sound clip and your reply about sound in the cab. I'm all about sound, (don't get me wrong I love more power) but I love to hear the shifting of gears with my MT6 and like you've said Manual and Auto is a totally different driving experience. If it's just for a better throttle response, I'm all in.

15. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  16. Dec 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Ran 3k miles on this truck in a month and a half. LOTS AND LOTS of people at TW changing the factory wheels and tires. Now Im wondering why... because the factory-tires (Goodyear Wrangler Adventure Kevlar 265/70r16) are amazing tires. I have ripped at them on every terrain at every level of the Rev-band and they have been some of the best tires Ive run on any of my vehicles. Rain, snow, ice and clear conditions. Further, when I drive like a 'normal' person I can still make the truck Do ~18mpg during a 28mile, suburb-to-capital city commute with 2 city legs (slow) 3 highway legs, (medium/fast) and a parking garage. They have been fantastic in winter terrain both on and off road. Anyway if anyone is thinking about tires, please if you're doing it just for a "look" take an extra minute to think, because all of the TRD-OR people got 4 badass tires on their truck that would be foolish to trade away for some 'look'. Long story short, the adventure kevlars are excellent, excellent tires.

Factory TD-OR wheels have potential too. Im going to blast them so the entire wheel is the machined look and color the current 'machined-edge' area is.

Max74 likes this.
  17. Dec 24, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    Max74

Max74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Tacoma TRD Pro
    Completely agree on the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure Kevlar 265/70r16 tires (also standard on the 2017 TRD Pro). I am glad I did not rush in to changing them out (which reading this forum almost made me think I have to do). I'm also just about 3K miles on them and very happy.

18. Jan 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust

51* and Sun, in Indianapolis on New Years Day. Crew-Carwash "Ultimate Wash" is $20, makes the truck stare-into-the-abyss black its so clean.

19. Jan 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust

Hand-brake is well placed in the 3rd-gen Tacoma. I Personally like the Simple black leather boot and Shifter. No need for a wacky shape to the knob, color or gaudy stitching on the boot. High end look and feel. Gear selection is great, and NOT just "for a truck".

The interior has excellent, useful gauges from the factory, the best being the "telemetry" or trip-fuel use-timer graph screen that shows the real-time throttle to fuel usage. The GPS mode pictured is also easy to use and Toyota was wise to backlight with black, rather than white, to cut down on unnecessary in cabin glare for night driving.

SilverII likes this.
  20. Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Texas Made Tacoma has been 110% problem free. Built 9/2016 and Driven off the Indianapolis lot 11/8/2016.

Products Discussed in

To Top