1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 TRD PRO, who's waiting?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by alfmoonspace, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jan 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Gustavoo700

Gustavoo700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Curious now...

2. Jan 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM
    Ram5493

Ram5493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    From my understanding the alarm works off of the door switch. It's not shock sensitive. I may be wrong though. The dealership tried to sell me on the glass breaking sensor but I didn't bite

3. Jan 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    Smitty4699

Smitty4699 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD Pro
    I think that's what I got, the glass break sensor. Thanks

4. Jan 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM
    Ram5493

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    No problem. I do wonder if it's a discount on insurance because where I live insurance is rediculously expensive

5. Jan 14, 2017 at 4:19 AM
    Cement_Fish

Cement_Fish New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mick
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (cement)
    Stock... for now.
    Random add to this thread... but has anyone else "settled" on a color due to availability? Going into this endeavor, I ONLY wanted a white Pro... I sorta liked cement and couldn't care less for the red. I'm currently stationed overseas and the military auto sales rep said they'd only receive 10 allocations throughout Europe for the first half of 2017 and 8 were going to be cement and 2 were white (all AT). I have trust issues when it comes to working with stealerships but my options are very limited being in Italy, so its not like I can drive a an hour two and hear from another dealer. Since I was the 10th person to swoop an allocation, I was stuck with the final one available... which was cement. At the time I was pretty torn, like I mentioned I wasn't too fond of the color but I accepted it and signed the paperwork w/ deposit. This was 2 months ago. Yesterday, I got a phone call from the sales rep and she said one of the guys who had a white Pro fell through due to finances... He remembered that I was "die hard" wanting a white one so he gave me a call to see if I wanted to switch my allocation. He thought he was going to make my day with this call because not only was he getting me the color I really wanted originally, I was going to be able to get it 2 weeks earlier than the cement.

If he had given me this call 50 days ago I would have jumped all over and been stoked out of my mind... but throughout the past couple months I watched literally EVERY cement TRD Pro youtube video, seen a million pictures on instagram and online in general and really grew to love it. I guess a part of me started to take pride in this exclusive color and its uniqueness... So, bottom line- I did end up choosing the white, but it felt weird making the switch... Just wanted to share this with you all, haha... Has anyone experienced this very 1st world problem?

musher and cemented like this.
  6. Jan 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    2017trdprocement

2017trdprocement Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab
    3" OME Lift, Custom Fab Sliders, Decked System, ARB Front, Rear Lockers and compressor, 33" BFG K02 tires on TRD Pro wheels. Added a 2" receiver hitch, backup camera and some interior mods (console on the bench, skyjacker seat modification, some other things)
    That's interesting. I've still yet to see a Cement TRD Pro in real-life - like you, I've watched every video I could get my hands on. I value exclusivity, so white was not really of any interest to me, I see white vehicles all the time. But hey, enjoy your truck!

My big decision was switching from AT to Manual - so my cement should hopefully be one of only a handful that also has the manual transmission.

Hairlesswookiee likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    1st world problem, you said it.

i would have preferred red, but as it happened i was the first in GST to receive a MT Pro and the allocation was going to be white from the beginning. i could have held out and waited another 2-3 months for another allocation gamble, but i decided to stay first in line for white, although i never wanted another white vehicle again.

glad i did, this truck is fully badass.

8. Jan 14, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    COdogman

COdogman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I finally saw a cement pro in a parking lot near us just the other day (also the first pro of any color I've seen in the wild). I thought it looked even better in person than all the photos, videos I've seen. I'm surprised it took so long to see one since we live in truck loving Boulder County CO. There are new Tacomas all over the place but that was the first Pro.

9. Jan 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    tacofan13

tacofan13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand DCSB 4X4
    I just bought a 17 dcsb off road in quicksand which is the color and package I wanted. My local dealership had 3 pros on the lot, 2 cement automatics and one white manual. I know color is personal preference but I thought the white looked better in the Pro model. I liked it so much I enquired about it as my truck hadn't arrived at the time but it was already presold.

10. Jan 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    Razgriz1

Razgriz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Cement 6MT
    It's all personal preference in the end.

I choose Cement, not only cause I loved the color but because white and, to a lesser extent, red, are rather common choices.

The purpose of the Pro is to shout at everyone that you are better than them and that they suck. Can't do that as well with a normal colored Taco.

Vietguy and 2017trdprocement like this.
  11. Jan 14, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    bryan01

bryan01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm waiting. Making my deposit on a TRD Pro this weekend. I'm relatively new to this board, but not the Tacoma. Thought I'd post up a few issues I'm tossing around in my head, see if you all had any insight...

Quick background: This will be my 5th Tacoma, I’ve owned one since the early 90's, the only vehicle I've ever had. I'm an engineer by trade, use my truck for work and fun. Brutal honesty ... I will likely only use this truck maybe 2% of the time off road. Most of my time will be spent commuting and putzing around the PNW with my wife and dog. I really like the fit/trim, engineering, and assumed capability of the TRD Pro. That cement color rocks. It's moved me to trade in my current Tacoma ('14 TRD Off-Road) for an upgrade. I do realize my day to day use of the truck doesn't make sense when you consider what I'm actually buying - it's a heck of an off road truck, it carries a big price tag for that, but it's great to know when I do go off road, even for a short period of time, it can deliver the goods. I may be going out on a limb here – but I’m guessing many of you are likely in the same boat as me. Will we ever use this truck to it’s fullest potential? Regularly use it for what it's built for? Unlikely. But it’s pretty cool to have it.

Having said the above, here’s what I’m thinking –

· AT vs MT. Until by last Tacoma (’14 TRD Off Road) I always drove MT. I got AT before I moved to Seattle when I found myself sitting in a ton of mid Atlantic traffic. AT made that traffic experience easier for me and my wife could move the truck out of the driveway when she need to drive her blocked in jeep early in the morning without having to wake me up (sometimes hung-over) to move the truck for her because she couldn’t drive MT. I was considering going back to MT for the TRD PRO, but, after reading through the specs and reviews, looks like I’ll be missing out on a ton of performance without AT – including the Multi Terrain CRAWL controls. Seems like a lot of relatively advanced engineering I would be missing out on. Anyone else thinking the same way? Also, I’m in my early 40’s now – I'll admit, AT just makes things easier when driving (I know, that sounds lame). Not giving up on MT in my life, but it just doesn’t seem to make sense in this case.

· Only the Double Cab option is available. All my other Tacomas have been the access cab (or no cab in the 90’s). It’s just me, the wife, the dog – no kids. Access cabs have always been the right amount of room for me. I also think, by nature, a truck is fundamentally 2-door. It’s the shorting of the bed I’m struggle with – I really do use every bit of my 73” bed now. That 60” bed seems awfully short. Anyone use both the beds in 2 different Tacomas? Did you have any frustrations not being able to haul what you had before?

· The relatively new 3.5L V6. I’ve always thought the Tacoma had an engine that was more than enough for my needs. The last few Tacomas I’ve owned carried the 4.0L V6 (I even had the 2.5L V4 in my 1st 2nd gen, that was plenty for my needs). Anyone driven both a significant amount of time (3.5 v 4.0)? Any big performance differences you’ve noticed?

· Sound System performance & fit and trim. I’m also a huge music fan. That top of the line JBL they offer I think (think) would be great, and I’m surprised it’s not offered in the PRO model. Truth be told have never heard the “JBL” offered sound system so I don’t know exactly what I’m missing. Just feel like if I’m buying the top of the line Tacoma, it would be great to know I’m buying top of the line sound system they offer. This may sound odd, but early on when I owned 1st and 2nd gen tacomas I always liked the less is more fit and trim pilosophy to design. Those old volume and tuner knobs were large and built to use with ease when I had my work gloves on. After market radios and the new radios in the Tacoma really drive me nuts with the amount of buttons to push and how tiny the buttons there are (I know a lot is on a touch screen). I maybe old school, but all I really want is a really really great sounding stereo sound system that’s easy to use (connects to my iPhone is a huge plus). That’s it. The less buttons the better. For comparison for those that may want to look it up … I use a ROTEL receiver for my home stereo. The fit and trim of that user interface is stunningly perfect engineering in my book. Love to see Tacoma make that happen. Has anyone compared the “JBL” system to the standard “entune” system we get the PRO? Are we missing anything?

· The Fake Hood Scoop. Does this drive anyone else crazy? It might be the engineer in me, but it really bugs me to have a fake hood scoop. It has zero purpose other than aesthetics. Seems cheesy to me. Always has.

· The wireless phone charger. Just to double check … does this work with an IPhone? I’d love it if it did … but I’m thinking it does not. If not, is there a work around?

· The “Toyota” and “Tacoma” labeling. I guess I’ve always been a no lables sort of guy. Never understood the desire to have massive label – say on sunglasses or a shirt – does anyone have issues with the name on the front grill the imprint on the tailgate? Seems like overkill and little cheesy to me.

Ha … I just read through this post before submitting … sounds like I’m whining, but I’m not. This being my 5th Tacoma I really do love this truck. I’m (we’re all) just geeking-out on the nuances of buying a Tacoma. Any thoughts on any of the above appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  12. Jan 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    Snwghst

Snwghst Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the MT, its no slouch and with proper use has plenty of pep. As far as the AT most say it feels underpowered. All the AT stuff may be nice and advanced, I don't think I'll ever miss it, because like yourself I won't be in the mud much

I just ordered the OEM Audio + system to install next weekend. While some my think stock sounds pretty good. There is significant ear fatigue with the stock speakers for me (I have Sunfire amp, monitor audio speakers, sota turntable, arcam CD) I had the JBL in my Tundra prior to the pro, it was not significantly better imo

there is an adapter for about $15 to plug into the iPhone. I have not ordered one yet, though probably will. iPhone8 is supposed to have wireless charging according to rumors. I think the reason its not there currently is due to the time it takes to actually charge the phone wirelessly

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    BMWTACO and 2017trdprocement like this.
  13. Jan 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Ram5493

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Mine was 10/4

14. Jan 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    Ram5493

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    I saw one here in NYC it was cement with the oem roof rack, it looked awesome. Got me even more excited. I went to the dealership and was apparently misinformed. I thought my build date was 1/4 and it's actually 1/19 idk how that happened but I guess it's just a matter of short time at this point

15. Jan 15, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    2017trdprocement

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab
    3" OME Lift, Custom Fab Sliders, Decked System, ARB Front, Rear Lockers and compressor, 33" BFG K02 tires on TRD Pro wheels. Added a 2" receiver hitch, backup camera and some interior mods (console on the bench, skyjacker seat modification, some other things)
    I agree with some of your points and understand some of your concerns.

My thoughts: I initially was going to get an AT mostly for the reasons you stated (ease of use, added off road "toys") but I've always been a manual guy, and after pouring over online reviews it became clear to me the manual would offer more day-to-day and overall enjoyment. Besides, this could very well be the last time youll be able to buy any new truck with a manual transmission. The MT take rate on Tacos is 5%.

As to the capability differences-if there are really any between MT and AT-this is something I can speak to. I've owned Toyota 4x4's for a long time and the MT TRD Pro will have a rear locker and ATRAC. These two work together in many situations much like a front and rear locker would. The truck will be unstoppable in rocks. Clutch start cancel is icing on that cake.

Rear locker and ATRAC combined are less effective (less effective than a front locker, NOT less effective than crawl control) in conditions where wheel-spin is inevitable: think snow, mud, etc. In those conditions your best bet will be a rear locker and traction control totally off -for both MT and AT trucks.

Short version: you won't lose any capability without crawl. I have Crawl in my 2015 Land Cruiser, along with a rear locker, and my 2011 FJ had a rear locker but no crawl (just ATRAC). My 2013 Tundra had neither crawl nor ATRAC (consequently it was terrible off road.) -I live in Colorado and I wheel all the time, on all sorts of trails including next door in Moab, UT so hopefully that credibility will help you on your decision re: off road differences.

Yes, the hood scoop looks lame since it's fake. I saw a video where someone was asking Mike Sweers (I think that's his name-the head engineer for the Taco) and he had some BS reason for it being there, much like the BS reason for rear drum brakes... -but it's ok; part of the Pro package is the appearance-"shouting you're better than pedestrian-trim Tacoma owners" or something along those lines. :)

My father in law has a 2016 OR package with AT, and I've driven it a bit-and I think it's a fine transmission (especially if you remember to hit ect power when you get in), but a manual in a Tacoma is so much more involving and enjoyable. Just my $.02.

su.b.rat likes this.
  16. Jan 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Bray1197

Bray1197 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Trd Pro
    A lot of stuff, just ask and I'd be happy to tell you. Or we could wheeling/camping
    Still crying

IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg

17. Jan 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    2017trdprocement

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab
  18. Jan 15, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Bray1197

Bray1197 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Trd Pro
    A lot of stuff, just ask and I'd be happy to tell you. Or we could wheeling/camping
    Went to Windrock park in TN... and did a lot of stuff... mainly to the advice of a "local" on a line in a fairly difficult trail. Won't do that again!

19. Jan 15, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    COdogman

COdogman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Congrats! Even with the confusion you will have yours soon! I'm waiting a little longer - my wife just bought a well deserved new car last summer so I need to be a little patient before we add another car payment into the budget. Damn being responsible :frusty:

20. Jan 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    that happened to me. i bought my wife a brand new Tiguan R-line 4mo whole deal and 2 weeks later my R32 totaled on the highway hitting a loose semi tire. so i had to strrrrretch.

To Top