1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Diesel

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by volcop, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Jul 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I made that post a year ago lol.

Joe23[QUOTED] and PROseur like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    ...you say that yet they basically pioneered the modern hybrid with the prius lol.
    And really wouldn't be that hard to make the motors sealed. What do you think sump pumps are? Sealed electric motors are nothing new. Been around for decades dude.

Normally I agree with you but not on this.
    Really not much difference in terms of whats existing with what you're mentioning about waterproofing etc.
    Do we not currently have tons of electronics and batteries in the vehicles?
    I get your point about it would mean venturing into newer tech, but they did it with the prius now look at everyone else doing hybrids?

I'm not saying we'll see it in the 2018s.
    But by 2025 I'd expect to see every vehicle with some form of hybrid.

SDTaco4x4 likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    turbo and reliability do not go hand in hand lol. they won't do it.
    Turbos don't last long enough and they're too costly to replace. I love them don't get me wrong but just too expensive for reliability.

PROseur and stun gun like this.
  4. Jul 18, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    God I love this post.

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    oh wow 100k? THATS SUPER FUCKING RELIABLE
    /sarcasm

considering the twin turbo replacement is upwards of $8000, I'd much rather not need to replace them every 100k
    This is coming from someone who for the first time has a N/A engine. All my previous vehicles aside from my first car when I was 16 have all been boosted. No stranger to turbos, I love them but seriously they fucking suck for reliability.
    hell I'm onto my 3rd turbo in my Jetta and its an 06 with 250 000km on it.
    Blew the first one, blew the second upgraded borg warner, onto my third turbo now running a Garrett. went through two on my STI, blew another two on my boosted carodo, had one fail on my old GLI, and my mk3 GTI.

They're great when it comes to making power, but for an off road vehicle and something I'm driving for reliability, no thanks.

PROseur, Mitch09 and stun gun like this.
  6. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    SP4C3M4N_SP1FF

SP4C3M4N_SP1FF It's free real estate

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 OB Evo X
    Raptor are turbocharged. There are a few others. Not being a douche.

7. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    ya if you never have them spool they last. But they're no fun if they aren't spoiled.
    they still don't last as long as a N/A will and regardless they're still expensive to replace.
    Haven't done anywhere close to everything, but hope to one day lol.
    I've just had a lot of boosted cars as I used to do a lot of track and love performance and racing. They are great for making power I won't argue that dude.
    But seriously they aren't reliable. Even if they can last 150k they're still expensive as hell to replace.
    Put it this way, at 150k on these engines or the previous 4L you wouldn't need to suddenly do an $8000+ job to keep the vehicle running.

The turbos they use on the ecoboost are so small they spool up quick and stay spooled, so great no lag, but that wears them out faster. hence why they aren't reliable.

8. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous The Ayatolah Of RockNRolla

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 3rd gen trd offroad 4x4
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lord-humongous-gigahorse-build.436524/
    To quote my old post I was only kind of kidding. What I mentioned may not be that far off.....some day. That kind of performance actually is possible but it's not going to happen with the current electric / small bore otto cycle engine nonsense.

Micro turbines already exist and battery / electric motor efficiency is rapidly getting better. 100% torque at 1 RPM is a good thing for truck-kind

Joe23 likes this.
  9. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    new ones are yes. older one was the 5.2L V8
    Sure there are some out there. But most are N/A engines. unless they're diesel.
    Besides wasn't saying they don't work offroad, just that I'd rather not have one. Depending how they are set up they work but if they're big they won't since off road crawling you'll never hit boost. Might be fine for desert running though. Point was they aren't as reliable as a N/A since they fail around 120k.

10. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    SP4C3M4N_SP1FF

SP4C3M4N_SP1FF It's free real estate

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 OB Evo X
    No doubt big turbos have lag, but some diesels have a variable vain which helps or they get a compound setup to help that big turbo spool. Major causes of turbo failure I've seen has been caused by lack of oil or debris getting sucked in the turbine.

11. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R

They already have it in their medium duty line of trucks.

http://www.hino.com/hino-trucks-hino-195h.html

"The wait is over. We have made Class 5 Hybrids a reality. The Hino 195h Diesel-Electric Hybrid cab-over represents a giant leap for alternative fuel commercial vehicles in North America. In fact it was designed from the ground-up for the U.S. and arrives with the benefit of six generations of technology evolution and more than 10,000 production vehicles already on the road around the world - solidifying Hino as the leader in commercial truck diesel-electric hybrid technology. Hino makes the Diesel-Electric Hybrid a viable option in the U.S. commercial truck industry for the first time. Our COE model stacks-up from both an environmental and a financial standpoint - the only commercial Hybrid in the market to do so."

12. Jul 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    its different on diesels usually.
    All the ones I had fail it was the bearing portion that the compressor was on.

13. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    Diesels are great in certain applications. In a Tacoma, I don't think it's gonna be a thing. And that's cool. I'd hate to see the venerable toyota pickup shackled with diesel bullshit. Diesels need turbos. Turbos fail, and it's a shit show. In heavy equipments it's cool. As I've said before, these are all factored into the maintenance costs. But fuck that noise on a personal vehicle. Buts it's not just turbo failure, it's DEF and delivery, the sensors involved, inevitable DEF crystallization problems. DPF bullshit. Separate ECUS. A common problem I've run into is "poor DEF quality". I recently read a thread on here where someone had experienced that in some domestic diesel pickup, and how it plagued their cross country trip, having had to visit multiple dealers. You can fire the parts cannon at that code, to thousands of dollars, replace the DEF all you want, it seems like it never permanently fixes. Then it throws your vehicle into derate on a freeway... nice. Lots of trucks have a diesel option. Some trucks are gassers with a turbo (raptor... so what) and all of them are a headache.

14. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Not sure where you got your information, but it contains a lot of inaccuracies.

First of all, Toyota is not the parent company of Isuzu. They presently have less than a 6% stake in Isuzu, which makes them the third largest shareholder after a Japanese holding company and Misubishi. At one time, General Motors owned 49% of the company, but that has obviously decreased over the years. The two companies have had a long history of joint ventures, hence the baby Duramax makes perfect sense.

When the Nissan Titan first was unveiled in 2004 they entered a competitive market and rather than thrive as they have in the past in other areas, they never managed to grab so much as a foothold. A redesign of the truck was supposed to see it share a platform with the then-Dodge Ram in a deal that would have Nissan sharing small cars with a Cerberus-owned Chrysler.

But Chrysler's bankruptcy, and subsequent purchase by Fiat ended those plans. The latest Nissan Titan is designed and built in this country by Nissan, with no input or influence from Chrysler. And while Ram trucks has had a contract with a Cummins that dates back to the early 80s, Chrysler has no ownership stake in Cummins. The Ram Truck Eco-Diesel is actually an Italian engine from another subsidiary of Fiat.

It was reported back in 2014 that the 2016 Tundra would be available with a version of the 5-liter Cummins that powers the Nisssn Titan XD, but since we're just a few months out from the introduction of the 2018 models, we can assume that the 2014 report was not accurate.

And, I'm not sure where you got the idea that Ford owned Cummins. From what I've been able to find out, Ford has no stake in Cummins whatsoever. Ford used engines developed by Navistar International until 2010, when they decided to build their own engines in-house.

15. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    Nail

Nail Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR
    Oh great, you got Stun ranting about diesels again. (He's right) :p

16. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Las Vegas. As far west as you can go.
    Vehicle:
    work in progress
    gucci interior and chandelier.
    So much fail in this thread.

PROseur likes this.
  17. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    stun gun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    I can't even remember what thread that was in but I'd say I rant about diesels once a week. I totally knew I was being a broken record but I did it anyway because I like to party.

hiPSI likes this.
  18. Jul 18, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    SLO TRD

SLO TRD Living the SLO life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport DCLB
    Snugtop, 5100's, weather tech mats floors, truck bed, Tinted front windows.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    PROseur likes this.
  19. Jul 19, 2017 at 3:00 AM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Didn't know how much Toyota doesn't own anymore. I know they used to have a lot. And if you look on our trucks a few parts are Isuzu made, driveshaft for instance.
    Perhaps Cummins engines we see in Street vehicles are different sector not connected. But I know Cummins heavy machinery and Cummins power generation is owned by a portion of Ford motor company. I've installed multiple generators from them and all have Ford motor company marked on them as well.
    Was well aware of the fiat in the eco diesel Ram, pretty sure I posted that above.

Wasn't aware Nissan changed I was going by previous info.

Chrysler has changed multiple times. The former Jeep diesels and the Dodge sprinter diesel all used to use Mercedes diesels but no longer do.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  20. Jul 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    For one reason or another, it is a relatively common myth that Ford Motor Company owns Cummins. It could be derived from the fact that Ford was a minority shareholder of Cummins' stock in the past, or that Cummins had previously supplied engines for Ford. For many years you could purchase a brand new Ford with a factory installed Cummins diesel...in the F650/F750 medium duty trucks.

Ford had offered Cummins diesels in their medium duty platforms side-by-side with the Power Stroke and even a Caterpillar option for multiple years. In fact, the 6.7L Cummins Turbodiesel was the only available diesel engine in the 2011-2015 model year F650/F750 (Ford did not initially offer their own 6.7L Power Stroke).

Cummins set the record straight in their May 2013 newsletter, outlining that Ford Motor Company had purchased 10.8% of the diesel engine manufacturer in 1990. In 1997, those shares were bought back, and as such Ford has not owned a stake in Cummins since. It was more of an investment for Ford, rather than a strategic partnership. Beyond the medium duty market, there are no additional ties between Ford and Cummins. If you were told that Ford owns or has owned Cummins, your source was blatantly incorrect.

I'm still not sure where you're getting your information about Toyota owning a large portion of Isuzu. Over the years Isuzu has had manufacturing agreements with a number of other companies, i.e. Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and General Motors to name a few. In fact General Motors invested heavily in Isuzu starting in 1972, eventually owning 49% of the company and gaining controlling interest.

Isuzu eventually began to buy back its shares until GM had no stock in the company at all by 2006. The first connection between Isuzu and Toyota came about when Toyota purchased 5.9% of the company in 2007.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top