1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Diesel

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by volcop, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Apr 5, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I don't think software update for TDi will even reduce efficiency (MPG) may actually make it better, if anything it will reduce HP. So back to 90 HP probably again. I wish they made TDi AWD with more clearance.

On side note. My favor show was (is) Mythbusters, because they take some crazy claim (like @maineah having similar mileage in F350 as Tacoma) and check if its plausible.
    And if you run numbers (engine efficiency at low RPMs) it sounds that if you run F-350 power stroke gently keep it under 50MPH to not affect MPG by air resistance, do some idling it will probably be more efficient than gently driven Tacoma.
    So as much as its hard to believe its possible that @maineah got over 18.8 MPG average with his diesel powered full size.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Apr 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It produces greenhouse emissions :rofl:. It's just less than gas and I've never said anything to the contrary. NOx causes health issues and smog which is why the epa has gone after those emissions. Diesel engines produce NOx in larger amounts due to their combustion temperatures.

Mr. Torgue likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Mr. Torgue Explosions!!?!!?!?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    Did you even bother reading and understanding the post he made or are you incapable of doing so? He pointed out that higher mileage eventually leads to savings and you pointed out only high mileage options.

archerm3 likes this.
  4. Apr 5, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    If you ignore the health hazard posed by diesel particulates, the sure.

5. Apr 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    Um, wow. I didn't say diesels produce zero greenhouse gases, just that they rule over gas engines in that regard. I get that you dislike diesels, and that you have the all the data to convince everyone else who does like them that they shouldn't, but since you have no skin in this discussion, how about you just let those of us who do dream about having a diesel Tacoma have our fantasy without being peed on?

6. Apr 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I don't care what fuel a vehicle uses actually. If toyota could bring a Diesel out that could match the performance of a gasoline v6 and meet emissions I'd be interested in that configuration if the price worked out versus the mpg of the gas version. I just don't see that being a possibility anymore with the current EPA regulations.

BTW the second truck I ever had as a work vehicle was a Ford Diesel and I loved it. However that was a long time ago.

7. Apr 5, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I did, thats why I called bulshit on his calculation and posted screenshots from gas buddy, and he got upset because Diesel did not cost 25% so his super long mileage example turns out to be phony.. There is some time to work out expense but nowhere near people suggest.

Clearly you have little experience with corporate world like Toyota.(and I don't mean this in bad way)
    We all seen Seatbelt bracket Mike who is chief engineer flap his mouth and say stupid things like "Drums are great for offroading" or "Turbo lowers efficiency of the engine"
    That guy is complete crap, so I would not expect him to make any sound decision on Diesel.
    Heck that guy was in charge of 2007+ Tundra which is failing at sales, than in charge of 2016 Tacoma that is blowing everything from engines to transmissions to transfer cases and truly is a toy because people ask "where do batteries go ?" when you accelerate.
    As long as that guy is in charge Toyota pickup division will get their ass kicked. GM is doing great with Diesel Colorado. Honda Ridgeline will bring small truck which will steal Toyota sales, and than comes Ford Ranger which wiped floor with Toyota even against Hilux.
    Dum ass seatbelt bracket Mike will wake up with his hand in toilet.. :thumbsup:
    So grab :popcorn: watch the show.

Oh and for those thinking GM going diesel is something of love thing, its not its money, and Ford will have Diesel too because everybody want to get government contracts...
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...r-planning-federal-sustainability-next-decade

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Apr 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM
    TN_Tacoma

TN_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    K&N CAI, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, 265-75-16s Nitto Terra Grappler, Tuff A.T. 15s 16 inch wheels, 1.25" wheel spacers, black bumper, bumper light bar in grill, CB radio, Aftermarket speakers and 2 10 inch subs, LED odometer mod
    :popcorn: well this is going downhill fast..

Sterdog likes this.
  9. Apr 5, 2016 at 5:18 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Do you have the sales numbers for the 2016 Colorado Diesel? Not production numbers, we all know they were delayed and piled up in the company lot. I'd be curious to know what percent of orders they are.

As for the white house statement on ghgs I wouldn't hold your breath. Switching vehicles and power plants to natural gas would yield much better CO2 figures and given that approach is in many EPA strategy papers I'd suggest the government will encourage that over Diesel.

10. Apr 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I think Fords decision on whether the Ranger will have a diesel version will depend on how many Diesel Colorado are sold. If they make up more than 10 percent of the market Ford will go there. If not I doubt Ford will bother with it and stick to just a version of their Ecoboost engines. Who knows though. Ford loves titles so they might stick a Diesel option on the Ranger just for the best in class mpg claim and go after Ram or GM owners.

11. Apr 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    Because the place you live perfectly represents the entire fuel oil market of the US, right? /s

Where I'm at diesel is usually a 30-40c/gal premium over regular.

12. Apr 5, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Ok boys...enough "steam in this room from pi$$ing on rocks":argue:

Toyota did have diesel power way back when and VW Owned the market with the Rabbit;50 mpg's without breaking a sweat....:thumbsup:

Yes, I am that old to remember diesel under $1.00 and while this "chest pumping is entertaining" :fistbump: facts are facts...

Small American diesels are still "growing" and I can tell you one of the BIG 3 is $hitting blocks,bearings and warranties because of this infancy :boom:

Natural gas is making an inroad because of PRICE and the infrastructure is slowly making it readily available right here in the Good Ole USA...:cool:

Last FACT, go stand beside any new diesel power; truck or equipment and you will find water vapor.....My exhaust out of the 2013 Mack was clean fog,even during dead of winter.....no ash or black smoke...:D

Ok, back to throwing sand and toys :hattip:

ecoterragaia likes this.
  13. Apr 6, 2016 at 4:34 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Where I'm at diesel is usually a 30-40c/gal premium over regular.[/QUOTE]

Diesel in Maine $2.05 average, regular gas $2.05 humm.

14. Apr 6, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Toyota also had a diesel Hilux pickup in the early 80's the owner of a local dealership was a good friend he got one in and asked me if I wanted to drive it. Sure, so I drove it all weekend with $3 worth of diesel in the tank something in the range of 2.5 gallons. No blazing performer and noisy but it was fun to drive. What you have to understand it was about that time GM decided with complete malice of forethought it would be a good ideal to remake a gas engine and call it a diesel this set the diesel market in the US back at least a couple of decades. Gone are the days of pre chamber noisy diesel, low pressure injection and weak bottom ends the American manufactures had enough sense to turn to the diesel engine manufactures for assistance and it was a bonanza for them with a new growing market and that is what fueled the diesel market with efficient clean burning diesels.

15. Apr 6, 2016 at 5:11 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Lets see a gas engine top this 109,000 HP diesel----https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A4rtsil%C3%A4-Sulzer_RTA96-C

16. Apr 6, 2016 at 5:16 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Diesel in Maine $2.05 average, regular gas $2.05 humm.[/QUOTE]

You are the outlier. Proves nothing

17. Apr 6, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    JoeRacer302

JoeRacer302 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR MT Inferno
    Front: 5100's @ 0.85 Rear: 1/2" spacers 265/75r16 on RAY10
    Yea ... But your TDi's don't bother adhering to US emission standards ;)

18. Apr 6, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    That engine doesn't run on Diesel. Yes, it uses a Diesel cycle and it could probably use Diesel if you wanted to waste money, but that engine runs on bunker fuel.

It's also a 2 stroke engine like most ship powering Diesels. They are pretty cool when you get into them but they share very little in common with a truck Diesel at the end of the day.

19. Apr 6, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    No one is arguing that Diesels don 't run clean now. However, the emissions systems that get their emissions down to clean levels have a penalty that does eliminate a good chunk of the advantages that Diesels have in terms of efficiency. Enough so that the cost becomes an issue for the average buyer in Canada and the USA.

20. Apr 6, 2016 at 8:16 AM
    TN_Tacoma

TN_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    K&N CAI, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, 265-75-16s Nitto Terra Grappler, Tuff A.T. 15s 16 inch wheels, 1.25" wheel spacers, black bumper, bumper light bar in grill, CB radio, Aftermarket speakers and 2 10 inch subs, LED odometer mod
    Besides the EPA and so called "emissions" standards they want vehicles to be at. Can someone explain to me why the Hilux does not come to America?

Products Discussed in

To Top