1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tacoma - Not compatible with Entune App? (iOS)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Nobu, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Apr 30, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    Nobu

Nobu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport with Premium Package that comes with the JBL / Entune system. At the dealership, I downloaded the Entune app for iOS and upon entering my VIN number during registration in the App, the app threw an error saying that I had entered an invalid VIN. I thought okay well my truck was only built on Thursday (4/26) and delivered to my dealership Saturday (4/28) so it may take some time for my VIN to propagate through all of Toyota's systems.

However, today I got curious and I contacted Toyota Customer support and they told me verbatim: The 2018 Toyota Tacoma with JBL Audio System is unable to connect to Entune App on IOS. They said my truck can only connect to my phone via bluetooth (duh) but delivers no additional functionality outside of wireless calling, music, etc. However is verbiage on the Toyota website that frequently mentions the Entune App suite. (maybe this means the suite of apps on my truck rather than the actual phone app?). Can someone clarify what the Entune app does, and whether it works with my 2018 TRD Sport with Premium Package?

Also the Tacoma 'features' page on the Toyota website clearly shows the Tacoma with apps such as FaceBook in the 'Apps' section of the console. Yet I have none of these apps. Can someone clarify? Not saying I need any of this shit, I would just like to know what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 30, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    There are two entune apps in the Apple store, one for 3.0 (which you probably installed and isn't compatible) and Entune 2.0 which is the one you need and which the Tacoma has.

Once you install it on your phone and if you are in the USA and your phone is connected to the internet through wi-fi or data-plan...
    And you paired your phone to the stereo, the stereo will d/l the entune App from the phone and install and re-boot.
    Be prepared for "lunchbag letdown"

HeyNow and Pella like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    I wouldn't even bother with the app. It's not worth the time to install it, and there are only a handful of apps for available for Entune. The only useful ones are iHeart Radio and Pandora.

There is no Soundcloud, No spotify, No Itunes, no podcast app, nothing to that effect....

You would be better off without installing the app.

Toyota threw in the towel and made all 2019 models come with apple carplay stock, so...

4. Apr 30, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Ran into this.

You can only use the Entune app with the Entune PREMIUM head unit. It does not work with the Entune PLUS.

5. May 1, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    Nobu

Nobu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. @FrayAdjacent - Does one have to special order the Premium head unit? I have the premium package so I am super confused. Like I said, Im not so much bothered by the fact that I cant use app or listen to iHeartRadio, just confused about what Toyota is advertising vs what I have purchased.

Also @daks - I'm aware of the two different apps and was using the non 3.0 app. Still no dice.

6. May 1, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    commbubba19

commbubba19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD PRO
    does your radio have the volume buttons at the top or bottom?

if at the bottom, you should be able to use the entune 2.0 app. no need to input VIN # or anything.

Link your phone via BT first, then open the Entune app. After a few seconds the radio should update showing that you need to do an update to the software. Let it do its thing and that's it. I only linked entune as I use pandora frequently. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

7. May 1, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    Nobu

Nobu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @commbubba19 - Yes the volume buttons are at the bottom. Hmm. Anytime I open the app, all I am prompted with is to register or login. This is very weird. I'll take a photo of my system when I go back out to my car in an hour or so.

8. May 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    pinochle

pinochle GC8 Fanatic

Member:
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB 4x4 6MT
    NFab Nerf Steps, Bakflip MX4, Profile 5500K HIDs, Kicker Tweeters, Toyota Bed Mat, XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, ME-SO Customs Gasshole, ME-SO Customs Total Tails Stage 1, ME-SO Customs Ultimate LED Turn Signals V4, HELLA Supertones, OVTuned 2.0, 2LO Mod, 16x8 0mm Enkei RPT1 Wheels in Titanium Gold, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights, K&N Cabin Air Filter, HPS Intake Hose, Amsoil Gear Lubes in 6MT, front and rear differentials, XPEL Prime XR Plus Tint, TRD Engine Air Filter, Pioneer Head Unit, 275/75R16 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W Tires, RallyArmor UR Flaps
    I have a 2018 and mine works fine with a sync cable and through bluetooth.

9. May 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    commbubba19

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD PRO
    yes, you will need an entune account. if you haven't registered you will need to do so. Once done, you will need to link your iheart or pandora account within the entune app. this is under settings (gear icon on bottom right). Make sure in settings you have your tacoma showing listed there. once done, with the app left open, turn on your vehicle and let the radio link via the bt connection previously setup to your phone. should go smooth from there.

10. May 2, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    Nobu

Nobu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @Everyone - I found out what was going on. There is currently a bug with the entune registration system that myself and other new Toyota owners are experiencing. They hope to have it fixed in a day or so. Thanks for all the suggestions!

11. May 2, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    commbubba19

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD PRO
    so you couldn't register an account?

12. May 2, 2018 at 6:05 AM
    Nobu

Nobu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. Every time I entered the VIN (a required field in the registration process for the app) it said invalid VIN and /or your radio is not compatible.

13. May 2, 2018 at 6:47 AM
    95GLH

95GLH 4WD Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma SR5 4x4, the bottom bitch. 2018 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB OR, wife's truck.
    95 - Rust 2018 - '19 Pro grille, Westin HDX drop steps, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers
    I installed the app and configured it in the parking lot the day I bought mine. The only useful feature (for me) is setting destinations, like my daughter's daycare, wife's work, etc. Not street addresses. It needs a podcast app though, that's for sure.

14. May 2, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    Has it been confirmed yet that CarPlay is in the 2019 tacoma? I've seen its on a lot of the 2019 lineup but haven't seen anywhere that says its on all the 2019 lineup.

15. May 2, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Since this thread is active, I have a question that I haven’t been able to get answered clearly. I have a 2016 with JBL premium blah blah. Every few weeks, when I start the truck, I get a popup on my iPhone that my truck wants to communicate with the Entune app. It’s really a hassle to log in to Entune on the phone, when I want to just start driving. Is there any way to save the log in user and password, or use Touch ID, as some other apps allow? Is this login requested to do an update from my phone to the truck head unit? Or what? The phone still connects, my call history etc get updated, so I usually ignore it. Though sometimes I can’t get updated gas station info which is the only vehicle app I use that might need to access the Internet through the phone app occasionally to get updates. (I assume traffic and weather use HD radio and not the phone connection). Any insight?

16. May 2, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    Where did you hear this?

tacoguy88 and kman66 like this.
  17. Jul 29, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    IndyInfernoTaco

IndyInfernoTaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 Inferno DCSB OR
    Same issue for me. I like to search for the best gas prices and would like to save some destinations. The app on my iPhone keeps logging me out. Anyone find a fix? Or is it just too much to ask for a decent app?

18. Jul 29, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Weird, a zillion posts complaining about Entune but no one seems to know yes or no on this logout feature. I do use the gas station finder occasionally and invariably I’m logged out, and sure as hell not going to log in while I’m driving. Where is Toyota’s commitment to safety? That app is way overdue for fingerprint touch ID login ...

19. Dec 7, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    btrumpatori

btrumpatori Well-Known Member

Member:
    ...so I am reviving this, as I picked up my 2020 TRD Sport last week and am getting the same error message when I try to register for an Entune account. I've downloaded both apps - Entune 3.0 (which connects automatically but has ZERO functional apps associated with it) and Entune App Suite. Mine has the premium package. Any news on this problem?

20. Dec 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    I just bought a 2020 Limited. I was having the same issue - my VIN was not accepted. I called Toyota and talked with a rep. Bad news. I told her the app said my truck wasn't capable of having Entune. I asked her why then does the head unit constantly display an error popup message that I need to install entune? She had no answer. I finally pinned her down. I said "Well then, you're saying all I can do is hit cancel every time that error pops up." She said yes. It's like right out of a Seinfeld episode. The toyota app says I need to download it but the app says my truck can't have it. "No app for you!"

Products Discussed in

To Top