1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 TRD Off-Road Lift and TSS Malfunction

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Rudolph805, May 23, 2020.

1. May 23, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Rudolph805

Rudolph805 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    After doing a 3" suspension lift on my '18 TRD Off-Road the TSS system, specifically the Pre-Collision System and Stability Control System are all bugged out with errors. I have gone into settings and turned off the PCS system but the malfunction error in the photograph pops right back up. I have found no way to turn this warning off.

Now I have contacted a dealer about this and was met with a borderline confrontational service rep who was saying "There is absolutely nothing that can be done if you lift that truck, and we refuse to touch it."

After doing some research I found that it is a simple recalibration that can be done in Toyota service locations but its liability issue. Toyota seems adamant that they don't want to recalibrate a system that deals with automatic braking and speed control. Some people say in forums that Toyota was willing to do a recalibration but most shops are staying away from it.

I am reading some posts about lifted '18s that have had no issue, I am not sure why mine is affected but here I am. A common recommendation I see is to install the TRD Pro grill where the sensor sits 2" lower. I am thinking this will work but I figure the system is going to need to be reset somehow. Or, best case, when it turns on and the sensor registers that it is sitting much lower, everything will be fine.

I am hoping someone out there has run into this same issue and found some kind of workaround. Most recommendations I see say to just get 2017 before Toyota added this TSS nonsense but that won't exactly work for my situation given I already have the truck and the lift.

Any help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Stablity Control.jpg TSS Malfunction.jpg Warning Lights.jpg

strongrob likes this.
  2. May 23, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    strongrob

strongrob Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2018 Beige DCSB TRDOR
    SCS F5s
    Subbing in case you figure it out. The TSS has caused me nothing but headaches and I’d love to just switch it off. I’ll be driving down the highway and all of a sudden the brake warning will spring into action and start beeping at me. No rhyme or reason to it.

3. May 23, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    AKGSD

AKGSD Warranty denied

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 QSDCSBTRDOR4X4V6MT
    Dog hair, metaltech rocksliders, KBVooDoo bed risers, Smittybilt RTT, 3” spacer lift, caliraised ditch lights, amazon rock lights, Skewp
    You can switch it off in the dashboard options. You can also change it in techstream so it doesn’t default to on when you restart the truck.
    You can also hold the on-off button on the cruise lever to engage old school cruise instead.

Also my 19 was lifted 3ish inches and while i did have rare false BRAKE! warnings, it worked fine otherwise.
    Are you sure something didn’t get unplugged? The stability control light makes me wonder

strongrob likes this.
  4. May 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    Rudolph805

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:

After going to the stealership, the fix was a "Zero Point Reset". Ran me about $125. Hopefully, the lifting shop will reimburse me, as it was an alignment issue and not a TSS sensor issue like I feared. I will blast this across the forums in the hopes I can help someone else with issues with lifting a 2018+ Tacoma with TSS package. From my service history from Toyota.com:

THE VEHICLE SETTING CODES FOR THE YAW RATE SENSOR BEING OFF. CLEARED CODES AND PERFORMED ZERO POINT CALIBRATION ON YAW RATE SENSOR

As for all my research about throwing off TSS sensors when lifting a truck here is what I have found:

• A 3" lift will not throw off the TSS sensors
    • If you get PCC and Stability Control Errors all you need is a zero point calibration (most lift shops can do this)

Important note: 2018 Tacoma's have had a recall on the front TSS senor for it being susceptible to water damage. If your truck is lifted, they will not perform the manufacture recall repair. Your only option through the dealership is to. Disable Pre-Collision Control and Adaptive Cruise Control if trying to fix your front TSS sensor on a lifted 2018 Tacoma. Since my TSS sensor was still working, I opted to not have them turn it off, though if it does get water damage, the dealership will not repair it due to liability reasons. From what I understand it is a very simple bandaid fix with some caulking around the sensor wires which I will probably research how to do myself.

AKGSD likes this.
  5. May 28, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    Rudolph805

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    So I got some information that may help you. Although this fix must be done at the stealership as far as I know, you can have them disable PCS and adaptive cruise control. They will also go into the system and make it so it remembers the setting so you don't have to do it each time you start the truck and prevents warning messages.

If you really hate the TSS and the auto braking due to the Pre-collision sensor then this would be the fix, and trust me, I am with you. However, this would mean losing the adaptive cruise control, and after a couple of cross country road trips, I've become pretty addicted to it lol.

Hope this helps man, I have pictures of the dealerships waiver you have to sign in order for them to perform this procedure, hit me up if you want to take a look at it.

strongrob likes this.
  6. May 28, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    strongrob

strongrob Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2018 Beige DCSB TRDOR
    SCS F5s
    It definitely helps. Thank you for posting all the details. I’d miss the adaptive cruise too much to go through with it currently.

However, if it automatically brakes when it shouldn’t and ends up putting my family at risk, it’s good to know that it can be disabled.

Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top