1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 bad rear differential

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Fishskalez, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    Fishskalez

Fishskalez [OP] New Member

Member:
    hey guys, I have a 2019 sr 4x4 dbl cab that just tripped 10k. The truck is stock with original steel wheels and hankook tires. Tech says the rear differential needs to be replaced due to noise, it does whine really badly at times but my main question and what it has been in three times for is that while maintaining speed at about 48 to 60 mph the truck feels like an old chevy torque converter shuddering. Seems to let up when i let out of the gas and returns when light throttle is reapplied. It only seems to do this or is worse when in 5th or 6th o.d. Have an open case with toyota who has been helpful and waiting on parts to come in. My question is could the differential cause this "shudder" feeling and could the differential being bad cause other damage to look for. First time toyota owner and I know trucks are rougher than cars (or ridgelines) but this is driving me nuts.

2. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    TacoMamba35

TacoMamba35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Port: Tonneau cover, bed step Personal: OEM mud guards, AVS Rain Guards
    From what I've read on here, the whine is a differential problem - sounds like your dealer is taking care of it. The shuddering is more likely a transmission problem. Again, from what I've read, my guess is it came low on trans fluid from the factory. Have you had that checked?

3. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    Fishskalez

Member:
    Yes, had transmission fluid checked as well as dealer reset the transmission at about 1k miles. They rode in it the first time with me, told me this was a "characteristic of the vehicle". Next tech drove it without speaking to me or taking me with him on drive and said nothing wrong with transmission but diff was bad. Third tech at another dealership said he felt something but unsure but felt transmission shifted fine and also heard diff howl.

4. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra 4WD Crew Cab 5.7L Limited with TRD Off Road Package and Cement
    Harmonics is the cause of the noise.

2016Tacoman likes this.
  5. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    regular use on the truck/diff otherwise?

6. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    Coyote501

Coyote501 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Its under warranty. Let them fix it.

7. Aug 13, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    Fishskalez

Member:
    Ok, just an update... The rear diff was replaced for howling and they said the housing was full of metal. After about 3k miles the howl hasn't returned but the shudder remained. At about 12500 miles a shop foreman rode with me and felt the shudder and said that it wasn't normal and this was on a good day when the shudder wasn't as bad as at other times. After inspection they determined that the flanges measurements were out of spec and that both drums needed replaced as well. Long story short, rear diff and axles as well as bearings and everything between the rear wheels replaced and the truck finally runs and rides like a tacoma should. (Knock on wood) Toyota corporate stayed on top of things pretty good and was helpful compared to other posts here.

AKGSD and Tullie D like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top