1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 4Runner Pricing?

Discussion in '4Runners' started by memphis guy, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Dec 19, 2020 at 3:54 AM
    memphis guy

memphis guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Michelin LTX M/S II 265/75-16 Tires (+1 sidewall height)
    Hey guys, I’ve been on Tacoma World for a long time and have really enjoyed the forum, but I’ve honestly never come over to the 4Runner section.

Wife’s 8 months pregnant and she was rear-ended 2 weeks ago in her 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T 6MT. Thankfully she and the baby are fine, but unfortunately her Civic is totaled. We both really enjoyed that car, but we had already been talking about eventually replacing it with something larger. Now our timetable has been moved up by a couple of years.

The wife has always admired the 4Runner, and I have too. We think it looks great, and I’m absolutely sold on the dependability of the 1GR-FE/A750E combo (I have a 2007 PreRunner AccessCab TRD Off-Road that I’ve owned since new, and it now has 234,000 almost trouble-free miles. I say “almost” because I have had to replace all 4 wheel bearings and rear axle seals, as well as rebuilding the driveshaft twice. But honestly I don’t even count that stuff because they’re wear and tear items. And I like to drive fast!

We don’t care that much about the fuel economy; the vehicle being rock-solid reliable is what matters to us. We fully realize that the 4Runner is a truck that is capable of lasting 15+ years with proper maintenance (I do all my own, not that the Tacoma has actually needed that much, but, having had a Taco for so long, it’s nice that I’m very familiar already with this powertrain, and many of the components are very similar).

We also just want a proper, old-fashioned, truck-based, RWD SUV with the engine mounted the correct (read: not transverse) way. I prefer the handling of a RWD vehicle, and I feel that a RWD, body-on-frame vehicle is just more durable than an egg-shaped, FWD crossover that so many sheeple have been suckered into driving these days!

Anyway, if you can’t tell by now, I’m pretty much sold on a 4Runner.

And with the crazy resale value these things have, I don’t think it makes much sense to buy used.

So, I’m starting the process of emailing dealerships. My plan is to treat this like a bid - email as many dealerships as I can, and see who responds with the best deal.

We’re looking for an absolute base model SR5, with 2WD. We might want the rear sliding cargo deck and the roof rails, but that’s about it. Trying to find one that’s as close to the $36,120 MSRP quoted on the Toyota website as possible. What little looking I’ve done so far, finding stripped-down models has proven to be a challenge, either because there aren’t many 2020s left, or, because not many people buy base 2WD T4Rs, or some of both.

Almost all of the people I’ve seen post about their 4Runners tend to choose 4WD, and more equipment. But, the funny thing is, for me, driving a 2007 Taco, and the wife, being used to a base Civic, even the base 2020 4Runner will seem like quite a step up for us in terms of equipment!

So, does anyone here have a 2WD T4R?

Has anyone bought a 2020 T4R base model? If so, what did it end up costing you?

I’ve seen threads where people talked about getting several thousand off sticker, but that was typically on 4Runners that listed for a lot more than $36K, and I figure the more equipment it has, the more Mark-up it has.

Is getting a base, 2WD 2020 4Runner that lists for ~ $36,120 for $32-33K before tax, title, license, etc. a reasonable expectation?

2. Dec 19, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    Shop around. There's a thread on the T4R.org discussing which dealers have the best prices if you're going new. When I bought my 5th gen (TRD Off Road Premium w/sunroof and no other options), local dealers wanted $41-42k. Was able to make a deal with dealer up in Maine and got exactly what I was looking for at ~$36k.

Bridge4 and memphis guy[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 21, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Go 4x4, you’ll regret it. Higher resale value, and better to have than to wish you had it if you happen to need it. 2020’s are more expensive due to some upgrades since prior models. I have a buddy who just got a 2020 SR5 for about 34k out the door.
    I bought my 2018 early this year for under 29k with 20k miles. Could’ve spent about 5k more for a new one, but with such minor “improvements” I spent the 5k on mods instead. I also didn’t want TSS, so that was another reason for wanting pre 2019 models.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  4. Dec 22, 2020 at 1:43 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Thanks, but we don't need 4WD.

This will be the wife's grocery-getter, and will double as our out-of-town trip vehicle. The toughest terrain this truck will likely ever traverse will be a gravel or dirt road. It will likely see snow occasionally when we drive to Indiana, where she's from, in winter, but I plan on upgrading the wheels, and keeping some good winter-rated tires with the "mountain snowflake" rating on the stock wheels, for a situation like that.

The 4WD is also almost 300 lbs heavier, and these trucks already don't have great acceleration by 2020 standards, so we want the better acceleration and fuel economy of the 2WD, also.

As far as resale value, I don't really sell vehicles. I buy them and then keep them forever... E.g. my 2007 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Off-Road Access Cab, which I bought new, and now has 234,000+ miles on it, and runs perfectly...

The only reason we're actually in the market right now is that an idiot rear-ended my wife and totaled her 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T 6MT.

We'd thought about eventually getting a T4R, but we were still planning to roll with the Civic for a few years until the family grew enough to necessitate something larger, but this caused us to move up our plans.

The plan is actually to give this 4Runner to our son when he turns 16. My wife is pregnant with him now...

You may laugh, but, if you're on this forum, you probably know the indestructibility of these trucks. Along with the Land Cruiser, the 4Runners are known to be trucks that will easily last 15-20 or more years with proper maintenance.

Now, I know that some of you guys actually off-road with your Tacos and T4Rs, but I don't, and, to me, 4x4 just makes the truck heavier, less efficient, slower, more complex, and more trouble to work on.

5. Dec 22, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    IEsurfer

IEsurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal

You'll regret not getting 4x4 for resale value alone.

6. Dec 22, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Understandable. I will say though, I think you may be disappointed with how the 4runner may not be as fast or gas efficient as you expect it to be in a 2wd version. It’s not GREAT, but it’s not horrible. Mines lifted 3” with 33’s and average 16mpg in the winter and 17.5mpg in the summer. Im not easy on the skinny pedal either. If you’re after MPG’s the highlander or rav4 would be a solid choice as they’re solid platforms too. I’ll make the 4x4 argument one more time too, lol. If you’re going to be seeing snow and making it you’re out of town vehicle, having the option to kick power to the front tires can be a peace of mind and get you out of a situation that might require a tow truck to come winch you out ($$$$). If it was to never see snow, then there’s no point especially if you won’t off road. My two cents, but ultimately it’s your money!

7. Dec 22, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    yoopersteeze

yoopersteeze Fake it til you make it

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma TRDORMT
    I understand where your coming from, but the RAV4 might be a better choice.

A T4R without 4x4 does not make any sense to me.

T4R are heavy and reducing weight by not getting 4x4 is just weird.

You do you, but checkout the RAV4.

Bridge4, Kolter45, IEsurfer and 2 others like this.
  8. Dec 23, 2020 at 2:47 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Did you read my post?

9. Dec 23, 2020 at 3:02 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    It's not going to win any stoplight drag races with a new Ford Explorer V6 EcoBoost, that's for sure.

But, 275 lbs less weight than your T4R 4WD WILL make a significant difference in acceleration,handling, and economy.

Obviously we're not after economy since we're buying a 4Runner. Anyone who is, hasn't done their research.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but, like I said, I've owned a PreRunner for over 13 years now, and I'm very familiar with this platform. I drive pretty fast - like, 80-90 mph on most of my commute, and I get about 16 MPG. I expect slightly better from this 4Runner due to a an engine and powertrain that should be slightly more efficient (I know it's got dual VVT-i instead of the single VVT-i like my PreRunner has, plus, they have most likely made some refinements to reduce internal friction and losses. Plus, everything I hear is that these are just a little more refined in many ways than the single VVT-i version, despite the fact that they share displacement, configuration for the most part, and even the same basic model #.)

I've never wanted for 4WD in the 13 years I've had my truck, and I don't expect to with this new 4Runner.

Fact is, most people who have 4WD rarely, if ever, use it, and the only thing it does for them is cost them more $$$ in their initial purchase, and in maintenance and headaches down the road. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, LOL!

The other thing about 4WD is that people who can't drive, could never drive, and will never be able to drive in winter conditions, think 4WD automatically makes them invincible in the snow and ice!

The main factor in driving in snow and ice is driver skill. 4WD is not even needed during winter driving most of the time. It's sure not going to help you while you're just driving down a road or highway.

And the other big thing is that a 2WD with winter tires will out-perform a 4x4 with regular tires in winter conditions. I plan to put some good, intermediate winter tires on the stock rims of this new 4Runner when we upgrade to TRD wheels or similar. Something with the Mountain Snowflake emblem.

Rustytaco71[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 23, 2020 at 3:15 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Man, not to be churlish, but we wouldn't touch a RAV4 with a 10-foot pole!

I hate FWD vehicles, for the most part, not only because the handling dynamics and the way they put power to the ground is vastly inferior to RWD, but also because they're also a PITA to work on, in comparison to RWD, especially with a transverse-mounted V6.

Not to mention, they aren't as durable, with the powertrain all crammed up under the hood like that. Compact FWD transaxles just don't last like a traditional, longitudinally-mounted transmission, like the legendary A750E/F.

And pretty much all FWD "crossover" type SUVs these days look the same - like an egg on wheels. Man, I'm glad my wife wouldn't have something like that!

Don't worry guys, the wife and I are automotive enthusiasts and Toyota enthiusiasts, and we know exactly what we're getting with a new 4Runner. It's a truck, and it's a very old design, with many shortcomings. But, we know what those shortcomings are, and it's a compromise we accept.

It also has many advantages, including legendary durability with the RWD, body-on-frame architecture, and a tried, tested and true powertrain, good interior space, decent handling, safety, and most people, us included, enjoy the rugged good looks of the 4Runners, of all generations.

11. Dec 23, 2020 at 3:27 AM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB 6MT 4x4...'97 Taco XtraCab 5MT 4x4
    DIY Fabricobbler.

Although I can agree that driving in snow with the right mindset and tires can in many instances outperform a loose nut with stock tires in 4wd, there is that side of that just says get the 4wd anyways.

My reason is this.

You have 13 years of 2wd Taco under your belt. You have a newborn coming.

Anytime between when Jr hatches and gets the used 4R as their first vehicle, your hobbies might change. If said hobbies include going into the mountains, sand dunes, deep snow, etc, you will be 90% prepared without needing to sell or add another 4wd to fulfill your new hobby.

Heck, you might even get uprooted sometime in life, and move to an area that may provide many more opportunities that a 4wd would be the right choice.

In the end, it is your choice.

Oh, and 300lbs difference in weight to a 4R isn't going change the handling, acceleration, top speed or MPG enough to ever bring it up in the break room at work.

Your kid will love you more in 16 years if you handed them the keys to a 4wd Toyota. May as well give them minivan. o_O

Rustytaco71 likes this.
  12. Dec 23, 2020 at 3:40 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    OK, you made me grin with that last line!

Sorry man, the practicality in me just won’t let me do it!

13. Dec 23, 2020 at 3:43 AM
    GREGSBSPTACOMA

GREGSBSPTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    4runner
    Email all the surrounding dealers near and far tell them what you want and get a price, the one that gives you the best price in writing with no bs is the one I’d be talking to that’s how I bought mine. A 4wd will be easier to find then the 2wd but that has to do with geographical location they know what sells where so you may not find it as easy in your area. Also a vehicle in stock is one that can be haggled on, if you have to special order it’s hard to negotiate on it. as far as the extra weigh 4runners in general get bad gas mileage and are extremely slow

14. Dec 23, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Well hey, you do you man! It’s your money, just trying to give advice lol. I will say that I use 4wd pretty often, mostly on trails. Other times though I’ve used it when driving to destinations in the winter and it sure does make a difference staying in the road, to me at least. It gives you A LOT more control and traction when driving through bad winter conditions. Most roads in my area, to go anywhere aren’t straight so having the front tires powering through aids greatly in maintaining traction. I can’t get behind a 2wd 4runner with winter tires outperforming a 4wd 4runner with winter tires..lol. My AT tires and 4wd has gotten me through some pretty deep snow and kept me on the road.
    All the best though man, post pictures once you get your rig!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  15. Dec 24, 2020 at 2:51 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    No, you’re right - a 4x4 with winter tires would definitely be better in the snow than a 2WD. But most people don’t run dedicated winter tires.

16. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    along16

along16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCOR
    I would have preferred a 4 runner but they are priced too high...

memphis guy[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 2, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Since I came to this section looking for help getting a good price on a new 2021 4Runner, and just closed a deal on one that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, at a pretty good price, I'd like to share a few things I learned during the buying process, in hopes that it will help someone else get a great deal:

I just closed a deal with Vandergriff Toyota in Arlington, TX. on a metallic gray 2021 4Runner SR5 2WD Base Model for the wife. I'll be flying into DFW from Nashville next Thursday to pick it up and drive it the 10 hrs back to Nashville!

Port/Factory-Added Equipment: 3rd Row Seats, Cargo Net, Black Tube Step Running Boards (Total MSRP: $1788)

Dealer-Added Equipment: Window Tint, Pinstripe, "Zaktek" Interior/Exterior Appearance Package, Nitrogen in tires (Total MSRP: $1297)

$36,340 Base MSRP
    $1245 Toyota destination fee (this can differ by region)
    $805 3rd Row Seat (factory-installed)
    $649 Black Tube Step Running Boards (port-installed)
    $275 Premium Carpet Set (port-installed)
    $59 Cargo Net (port-installed)
    $399 Window Tint (dealer-installed)
    $299 Pinstripe and Nitrogen in tires (dealer-installed)
    $599 "Zaktek Interior & Exterior Appearance Package" (dealer-installed)
    -$500 ("Keep It Wild Savings")
    -$5695.59 (Dealership Discount)

So...if you don't count the "Keep It Wild Savings" of $500, and the Toyota Factory Rebate of $1000, since those come from Toyota automatically, the $5695 that the dealership itself is discounting the truck amounts to about 14% off MSRP.

Counting both the dealership discount as well as the Toyota factory incentives of $1500, the total discount of $7195.59 off MSRP adds up to a 17.69% discount.

I want to thank someone who posted in the "How Much Are People Paying For The NEW 4Runner" thread over on T4R.org who gave some great advice on getting a good deal on a car, which I followed:

- Set up a Gmail account to use only for correspondence with dealerships. This way, your personal or business email accounts don't get clogged up with all the dealership sales emails. And, it's easier to keep track of offers, because only car sales offers will be in that inbox.

- Also, get Google Voice, which allows you to set up a separate phone number to give to salespeople. Forward that number to your regular phone. You can then selectively turn that number off at any time of your choosing, preventing unwanted calls from dealerships by either selecting "do not disturb", or turning off calls from that number altogether (for example, I work nights, and salesmen like to call first thing in the morning and wake me up). You can also select a "call screening" option, with which anyone who calls that number has to state his name before it will put the call through to you. You then get to listen to the person say his name before you select whether or not to accept that call.

- Make an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the offers, along with which dealership and salesman made the offer, their contact info, the VIN and description of the vehicle, etc. Trust me, it can get a bit hard to keep track of when you have 10 or more offers, and all the vehicles have different factory, port, and dealer-installed options. I only had about 10 offers to go through, because there aren't that many 4Runners out there, comparatively, that are what we were looking for (base, 2WD, with 3rd Row).

- Start emailing every dealership that has what you're looking for. Personally, the search engine I found most helpful was Auto Trader. I was able to search for exactly the truck and options I was looking for. Ask for their best out-the-door price. That way, regardless of what their fees or whatever, are, you can look at the bottom line and compare different dealers.

You can also "back into" how much they're actually discounting the truck, if you know the base MSRP, destination fee, factory, port, and dealer-installed options, as well as the factory incentives
    . This way, you can "compare apples to apples" with regard to price, no matter what the options are, and determine a percentage off MSRP that the dealer is discounting the vehicle, to get your best deal and find out which dealers are willing to cut the price the most.

There are also sites that claim to disclose to you the "invoice price" and "dealer holdback" either for a fee, or for giving them your info. I didn't try this - the approach I took was just to email a bunch of different dealers and ask for their best offers, and, after a few days, I had a couple of pretty good offers, and one really good offer (the one I'm buying). But, I guess, if you have the accurate dealer cost info at hand, you could just decide how much you think it's fair that the dealership should make on the deal, and go from there, making them an offer.

Another thing - if you're looking to borrow money to buy a vehicle, your best interest rate will usually be at a credit union, especially if you have good credit. I was able to get 2% interest for 60 months at Old Hickory Credit Union, here in the Nashville area. I think if I went to 72 months, it would have been 2.5%. I don't think even Toyota Motor Credit is that low with their special rates.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    DSRunner likes this.
  18. Jan 2, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    Y2Ksport

Y2Ksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Midnight Black 4runner OR premium
    Congrats! You sound like you know exactly what you want which is always a good start. The 4runner will not disappoint. It's an oldie but such a solid vehicle and full of charm and personality imo. A Rav4 and highlander are objectively much better family vehicles but they're not much more than appliances.

Sounds like you found a great deal on that base model which isn't surprising since I'd think dealerships are more likely to offer bigger discounts on a 2wd vs. the more sought after 4wd trims. Enjoy it!

I love my 2020 which should be paid off later this year, but am torn between keeping it long-term or trading it in for something with more features and the same capability. Really looking forward to what upcoming 6th gen 4runner brings to the table and also watching how Ford handles the launch of the new Bronco. Another part of me is also thinking of trading it in for a used GX460 and putting the remaining $$$ towards something smarter like savings or investment property. The later would be the smarter thing to do.

19. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    memphis guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road

Thanks for your comments.

Re: RAV-4/Highlander - I think “better” depends on your priorities.

My priorities were having something that’s indestructible, and my wife and I prefer RWD handling dynamics.

Another biggie for me is ease of maintenance. Servicing is easier with a traditional RWD setup. And since I’m already familiar with servicing this platform (I have a Tacoma for 13 years now), that’s a big plus for me.

And then there’s just the “want” aspect. As I might have said earlier in the thread, I look at the T4R as a sort of “Land Cruiser Jr”. They’re even built at the same plant in Japan, and I believe it’s the same basic platform.

The traditional BOF chassis architecture makes these much more durable and long-lasting than any FWD crossover-style SUV.

I picked up the 4Runner Thursday. Pics to follow later.

20. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    CarolinaShorty

CarolinaShorty New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Nitto Grappler G2 Tires, Helo Wheels
    Great choice sir! We’ve had 4Runners for years, and just traded (very sentimentally) our 2014 SR5 RWD w/3rd row seat to buy a 2018 Tacoma to replace it. I understand your reasoning for safety for your child, which was something we wanted too. You can’t go wrong with 4Runners. We still have our 2005 which is almost at 200K miles... just getting broken in. Enjoy!

memphis guy[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top