1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Trail Forecast

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by GunstarHero, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Apr 12, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    GunstarHero

GunstarHero [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off-Road
    Ok Co. I’m planning a trip through S Co. the last week of June. Plan to hit Medano Pass at the Great Sand Dunes, Engineer Pass from Lake City to Ouray, and Imogene from Ouray to Telluride.

Do any of y’all have insight on whether these trails will be open by that last week of June? If not do y’all have alternate recommendations?

I will be making this trip with my wife but as a solo vehicle. Any concerns or contingencies I should plan for specifically?

For those that have run Medano Pass, can you continue over the east side from the top or do you have to turn around and return towards the dunes? Is this trail still pretty grown to the point I should expect some pinstriping?

For Engineer Pass, is this technical to the point of needing a spotter? And about how long does it take? Is the trail well marked?

Imogene is the one I’m most looking forward to and hoping it’s open. It seems a vast array of vehicles tackle this one, any special considerations? A spotter needed?

Thanks for any help provided.

2. Apr 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    ksimms92

ksimms92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver TRD OR DCLB 4X4
    Here for insight too, planning black bear pass first week of July :fingerscrossed:

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  4. Apr 13, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    skier

skier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 red Tacoma DBSB TRD Sport manual
    Snowpack is a little less than usual in SW Colorado this season, so expect normal opening dates. Most of what you've listed are county roads so they are not hard to find or follow.

5. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    On Medano Pass, you can continue into the NF. There's a few trail options, but you'll eventually end up on 69 in the valley to the east. I seem to remember it being wide enough to not be too worried about pinstriping.

Engineer Pass, no spotter required. Takes about 3 hours and is well marked. Just be aware that Engineer pass proper doesn't connect to highway 550 (million dollar) on the west side and you'll need extra time to get there if that's your plan. There are a few options of varying difficulty and length available to connect.

Imogene, no spotter needed nor special considerations, it's pretty straightforward.

Make sure you check the status of the Ouray trails before you go. That's right around the time they plow them and they may or may not be open.

johntoyota and Wulf like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top