1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 low coolant, issue or no?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PanzerDivisionBlack, May 25, 2023.

1. May 25, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    PanzerDivisionBlack

PanzerDivisionBlack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2022 with 10k miles on it. Checked the coolant today after not having done so for a few months(I know I know) and noticed its about an inch low, is this usually indicative of a leak? I am apprehensive to bring my truck to a dealer because every time I get it back I notice a new scuff or ding in it but my truck is obviously still under warranty.

Also I might just top off and keep an eye on it, is this stuff alright just to top it off with until I do a flush and go full OEM? thanks

https://ibb.co/dQxRrqf

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-OET...JnklnjeEIzvBL43ZbfIaAlDyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. May 25, 2023 at 12:15 PM
    MR E30

MR E30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    I noticed a very small change in my 2021 around the 15k mark.

I bought a jug of the pink stuff from Toyota and topped mine off. I have not noticed a decrease in the last 6,000 miles.

I am unsure of why this would happen. I tell myself that I never really paid close enough attention when I bought the truck to be 100% sure the level actually went down.

3. May 25, 2023 at 12:17 PM
    joba27n

joba27n YotaWerx Authorized tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Gray TRD Sport Tacoma MT
    YotaWerx engine software enchantment, Bumper light bar, Hood wrap, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Durobumps.
    The coolant level is okay in that picture, it's between the lines. If you're considered check the level once a month or so at the same temperature of the engine (cold engine first thing before driving would be ideal) when the engine is cold the level will be lower and when the engine is hot it will rise. If the level doesn't change you're good to go.

4. May 25, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    mhornco

mhornco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have added some to mine early on as well and a little her and there over the years. Could have been an air bubble in the system. Our system is also not closed in the sense the overflow is not pressurized. Coolant, at least the water part of it, does slowly evaporate which can lead to a drop in level. Also rough road riding can cause some to get out of the overflow. Not much at a time, but over the long haul it may be noticeable.

5. May 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    PanzerDivisionBlack

PanzerDivisionBlack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    thank you very much guys appreciate you!

6. May 25, 2023 at 5:49 PM
    RustyGreen

RustyGreen A breaker point guy in a Bluetooth world

Member:
    sleeping in a chair
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC 4x4 Sport 6M Inferno
    Pavement Princess
    I prefer to stay with OEM coolants.

Your dealer parts department has the correct coolant in stock for a (fairly) reasonable price.

joba27n likes this.
  7. May 25, 2023 at 9:40 PM
    joba27n

joba27n YotaWerx Authorized tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Gray TRD Sport Tacoma MT
    YotaWerx engine software enchantment, Bumper light bar, Hood wrap, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Durobumps.
    I agree and do highly recommend staying with oem coolant. I've never been a Toyota tech, only a Gm tech but i've heard from Toyota techs that the coolant is real sensitive and if you mix with some other types, mostly green, it will turn to sludge and plug things up. Also leading to an expensive repair that is not warrantable

RustyGreen[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM
    RIX TUX

RIX TUX no ducks given

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 4WD..66 MUSTANG V8
    that is an overflow reservoir, when the antifreeze gets hot and expands in the radiator it goes in the reservoir, if it is between the marks its fine, if you add to it then it could overflow, if its ever empty then the radiator should be checked when COLD

TRDRed likes this.
  9. May 26, 2023 at 4:48 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Idk, about coolant turning to sludge if mixing coolants. I had a leaky overflow bottle spigot crack where the hose connected on my tundra during a long trip. We put whatever green, or red coolant in that truck we could get our hands on till I got a new coolant bottle. It was fine. I wouldn't recommend others trying the same, but I never had any other coolant issues in the 19 years I owned it.

Products Discussed in

To Top