1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255 Toyo MT, 255 BFG MT, or 285 BFG AT?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Chickenmunga, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga [OP] Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Oop, may have got my lingo wrong. I meant to say that I was reading some posts today where guys were talking about the KM2's tread filling with mud and they wouldn't clean out. Original KMs were better about it.
    Still, I really appreciate the input you've given :)

I probably do 130 or less per week unless I go onsite with a client, which isn't too often. It might not be as big of an issue as I'm thinking it is.
    It's also harder getting a spare pair anymore now that all the tire companies are scalping the used tires, otherwise I'd grab a second pair of stockers for cheap :mad:

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I gotta be honest...I like the look of 285s better :eek:

I think the 255s are nice too though...just not my style i guess :eek:

Good luck with your decision

3. Sep 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Yeah they do tend to fill up with mud. I had the chance of testing them in the mud today at Evans creek. Did trails 311 and 520 (I don't recommend this one) The KM2s did really well today. They did clog up with mud a little bit but I didn't have any trouble clearing them out with a little throttle. For the most part they were able to keep me moving forward. Between all the wet roots, rocks, and mud (had about 4 days of rain this week) I'd have to say they did a great job. I didn't have any complications today. I heard a lot of mixed reviews of it in the mud and I was unsure about the tire until today. That could be thanks to the front and rear lockers though.

4. Oct 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    TacoMan709

TacoMan709 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland (the Rock)
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Xtra cab 4x4
    285 km2s, 2.5" lift, mashed pinch weld, Flowmaster, wicked piss
    KM2s FTW man. FULL of win.

So much win ya might not be able to handle all that win, then one day you'll notice that you've become accustomed to said "win", and on that day, you'll pull out the VISA and buy even bigger KM2s, just to yet again feel that "almost-too-much-you-can't-handle-it-but-love-it" win.

Win.

Okay seriously (and more constructively), they're excellent in wet conditions and self-clean much better than A/Ts, have long treadwear for an M/T, and great road manners. I'm waiting to mount my second (and bigger) set tomorrow.

Tomorrow = when I will be full of win.

5. Oct 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga [OP] Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I don't think I could go wrong either route (Toyo or BFG). I'm really taking into consideration what all.on.black has to say, because I've seen the man in action and he seems to have some solid thinking most of the time ;)

I haven't done anything yet because I'm buying some smaller upgrades at the moment. most importantly, I just bought a portable compressor so I can be better prepared for the new tires.

I'm still saving as well and thinking in the meantime. My current plan is to get the 255, see how I like them. If all's good, I might get a second set of tires/rims for onroad.
    If I hate things or feel like I want to change, I'll get some 4.5" BS alloys, some onroad tires, and do a switcheroo for the rims. When the MT's wear out, I'm all ready for 285.

Products Discussed in

To Top