1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

280k and no maintenance. What to do?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by maximilian55, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    maximilian55

maximilian55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    So my Tacoma just passed 280k, and I just found out that it is very possible that the fluids in the transmission/differentials, have never been changed. I just bought oil for it, Hypoid something oil for the diff? and gear oil for the manual transmission?

however I saw a few people saying that since it has never been done, that its best to just leave it as it is, otherwise it might damage it even further. I don't have any issues with the truck, but I just want to have that peace of mind and keep everything running for a long time.

So should I go ahead with the fluid changes? or is it best to just keep it how it is?

2. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I'd change them... the problems with tranny fluid changes at high mileage are more with the automatic's.

3. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    maximilian55

maximilian55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    Ok thats what i was thinking/hoping. And does those types of oil sound right? Ive never done this before.

4. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Change it. Use the correct weight stated in the manual. Brand doesn't matter.

5. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    There is absolutely no argument for continuing to ignore basic maintainence.

There are concerns in automatic transmissions about doing a flush rather than the drain and fill when dealing with high mileage vehicles because there is the risk of stirring up deposits in the tranny that could cause problems.

This is not the case with manual transmissions and you should change out the fluids per maintainence guidelines

6. Dec 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    Change them, for sure!
    I use Redline MT90 (75w 90) for my Transmission and Transfer
    And Regular Redline 75w 90 in both diffs; I have open diffs, though; if you've got an LSD or an E-locker, I think you will need something different (same weight, special blend)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    How long have you had it (not necessarily in chronological terms, but mileage terms)?

Definitely start with fluid changes for the tranny, transfer case, rear, and front differentials.

Make sure you are getting a good motor oil in there on a regular basis (I recommend Mobil 1 5w-20 high mileage and an OEM Toyota filter).

You might want to consider bleeding your brakes and clutch as well.

Everything after that is regular maintenance of wear parts (brakes, bushings, ball joints, etc. etc.)

Good luck. If the motor/tranny have made it to 280K miles, someone has been doing some maintenance, so it cant be too horrid.

8. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Definitely change them.

And my personal advice for the manual tranny gear oil: Redline MT-90

I changed mine for the first time in probably 100,000 miles and used Royal Purple. They should change the name to Royally Sucks Balls.

After a few thousand miles I changed it to Redline MT-90 and it is fantastic.

In 30 degree weather, I wouldn't be able to put it into gear, or reverse, in the morning using Royal Purple. And even after warmed up, the shifting was very notchy and awful feeling.

This past week it's been -15 degrees in the morning and no more than a high of 5 or so. Redline MT-90 still feels like butter, even cold.

Products Discussed in

To Top