1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2gen oil filters

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by geezer, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Jul 14, 2007 at 10:17 AM
    geezer

geezer [OP] Active Member

Member:
    All - After 3 trips to the stealer to get my oil changed, I figured to do it myself, which is my common practice. I went to Napa to get a filter and the one they have listed is a little dinky thing. Now the factory filter and no great shakes for volume itself. I damn sure don't want something smaller. Has anyone shopped or used non Toyota-Denso oil filters? Any luck? Any size? Does any other Toyota motor use the size flange? Thanx....

.......................geezer

2. Jul 14, 2007 at 10:21 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I would stick with the OEM Toyota filters just because you're still under warranty.

3. Jul 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    You can use an after-market filter without voiding warranty, but the right one should be roughly the same size. Toyota does have a smaller filter that has the same mount and would work, but I would bet napa still got the #'s mixed up. My suggestion is to get a Mobil 1 oil filter or K&N oil filter, or stick with oem, any of those should be roughly the same size as the one on your truck now. If you have the 4.0L or the 2.7L you're k&n part # is HP-1002 both motors take the same filter. This filter is the right size. K&N should be easiest to find, it is what I will be using on my first change in a month or so.

4. Jul 22, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    BlueThunder

BlueThunder Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    4X4, SR5, TRD, Indigo
    Sway-a-Way Coilovers, SnugTop SL, Westin Nurf Bars, IPod
    I've been using this brand of oil & filter for years, 88 4Runner, 97 4Runner and my 07 Taco. I do follow Toyota's every 5,000 miles to keep in warrenty but read the ad.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

P.S. I talked to Toyota Customer Care and you can do your own oil changes. Just keep the reciepts for the oil and filters.

Products Discussed in

To Top