1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2LO Plug & Play Harness Discussion

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by lapoltba, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Feb 23, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    lapoltba

lapoltba [OP] Full Bridge Rectifier

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    '17 Sport, ACLB, V6,MT, 04B14 OV-Tuned
    On my end all the wire needs to get cut and stripped. On your end, nothing needs to be done.

There is a link to the thread by @BigWhiteTRD with a pdf writeup. If you read through that and where you start cutting and splicing wires, ignore it. Unplug the two connectors from the 4x4 ECU, plug in the harness, tape/zip tie the relay somewhere, install the switch in your chosen location, run the switch wire, and put everything back together. It is literally plug and play.

mtip, 02Duck and VirusCage like this.
  2. Feb 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    Here is a crappy video of going in and out of 2Low.

Order of things I did in the video.
    1. Push the button. (on)
    2. Move selector to 4Hi and wait for it to engage. (I had to drive forward a few feet and turn the steering wheel to get it to line up)
    3. Move selector to 4Low (wait for it to engage. I have the MT so the truck beeped at me until I pushed in the clutch.)
    4. You are in 2WD low range. HORAY! :taco::dancingbacon::broccoli::kona::jellydance::goingcrazy:

5. Push the button again. (off)
    6. Shift to 4Hi, then to 2Hi and wait for everything to disengage.

I also showed normal 4HI and 4Low engagement at the end. I realize you can't see that it's in 2Low in the video, but trust me it is. Yesterday I pulled up the hill on the left (my yard covered in about 4" of wet heavy snow) and spun the back tires on the pavement. The front tires didn't do a damn thing.

Yes, my seatbelt is not on, no my door is not a jar.

3. Feb 24, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    I don't mean to over think this, but I'm just going over some potential scenarios.
    With the button activated, will 4HI basically just be 2HI?
    If so, could a guy just leave the button active all the time in 4HI, (giving 2HI range), then just flip down to low range for parking or low speed maneuvering with a trailer?
    Would there be any ill affects of leaving the button active while in true 2HI range?

4. Feb 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    You could do that, but what that means is the driveshaft exiting the front of your transfer case will always be spinning. It is extra wear and tear on those components, including your T-case. I'm sure there is something else to do with stability control or a-trac that would be affected too. I would not recommend doing this.

tonered likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    2016trdtacoma

2016trdtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    OV Tuned 16 TRD OR 6MT
    How are things progressing?

6. Mar 3, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I'm finally back in the office tomorrow. I have my harness removed and wire lengths figured out. I'm going to drop it off to get the labor quoted tomorrow.

7. Mar 3, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    Flash1034

Flash1034 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N/W Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, Solar Octane, Automatic
    MESO Stage 1.5 LED Taillights Falken Wildpeak AT3W Tires in 265/75-16
    Awesome

8. Mar 3, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    Also, to keep this easy.... Wiring for the switch will be the same length regardless of where you want to locate it. Left of steering wheel, center, or overhead console. There is plenty of room to the right or above the glove box to neatly coil up and zip tie any excess wire. I will be providing the switch wiring with the correct plug termination for the two available custom switches. Still waiting to see if the 2nd place can get switches with the lighter blue to decide if I will include the switch or not.

perkj, 2016trdtacoma, walterj and 3 others like this.
  9. Mar 9, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this isn't dead, and far from it.

Dealing with vendors is a pain in the ass sometimes. I have drawn up a schematic/wiring diagram, made a harness layout with dimensions, and a BOM with all the correct part numbers to get this thing quoted. I have it out at half a dozen places now, but most of them requested a "sample" for when they do start producing them. I have ordered some more components to build up a "sample". Until I hear back from a couple of them I won't have a final cost.

aliu6294, perkj, Dan's TRD and 10 others like this.
  10. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    walterj

walterj Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    Sexy Black '17 Taco 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Any updates?

11. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I have a quote that looks good and I will be sending out my 2nd prototype to get a couple production samples made. If they look good I will be able to start taking orders. Once I have looked over the samples I will have pricing info for everyone. I think everyone will be happy with the final pricing. :) Keep in mind, this is all going to take at least a few weeks to get done with shipping and all.

Sorry this is taking so long. Everything is still moving along, it is just taking more time than I would like it to. I'm also hesitant to get a large batch of these made up if Mat @OVTune can do something in software. I don't want to have a ton of $ tied up in these if the demand trails off.

12. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    walterj

walterj Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    Sexy Black '17 Taco 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Cool. Thanks - I wasn't pushing you to hurry... I was just looking to hear it was still alive.

I, for one, do not consider an $800 payout to OVTune as an option to what is available and practically free if you cut your own wires. I'm glad to pay for the nice clean install but not the better part of a grand :)

lapoltba[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Sociopenguin

Sociopenguin 2 Fang Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    NW MO
    Vehicle:
    DevilPenguin
    Schtuff
    Badass. So ready to put this in with the rest I have going this spring. I even already got a switch for it when I ordered the rest of em......

lapoltba[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    That's pretty much what I figured. There are a bunch of people that already have the tune, but there are going to be others that have no interest in spending that kind of $$ on it.

BigWhiteTRD and tonered like this.
  15. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    FirsandFire

FirsandFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    No more Taco. A 2500HD and a Bronco sport
    2wd low will be fantastic for the super high reverse gear on the MT when backing up a trailer.

02Duck and Shellshock like this.
  16. Mar 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    BigWhiteTRD

BigWhiteTRD Official thread killer (only crickets remain)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Treasure/Space Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC TRD OR Auto 4wd, 2012 AC SR5 4.0 MT 4wd
    Not saying Matt can't do it, but I think it is exceedingly unlikely that he implements 2Lo for technical and other reasons thru tune. Especially as its located in the completely separate 4wd ECU.
    (I think he probably won't be doing locker mods, and think 2Lo changes are so far lower than that as to be ridiculous).

Really, only a more computerized 2Lo solution that uses the existing dashboard dial (or similar) would be the only possible reasonably expected competition.

Can probably sell some customized ones to people to allow actuator emergency override, and a few for customized for FJ swapouts, etc...

I know it's hard to pull the trigger and risk holding the bag.

tonered likes this.
  17. Mar 28, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    I agree it is highly unlikely to see a software option. Like you said, it appears the 4x4 ecu has full control and likely only notifies the ECU of status and faults. It's not like on my VW where you can access each module directly and change coding to get different functionality. Vw dealers have that option with their Diagnostics, but Techstream is much more limited.

A computerized 2lo solution would probably be cost prohibitive. I honestly don't see the advantage of that over your relay method. It would still be doing basically the same thing, but add complexity. It would gain some factor of idiot proofing I guess.

tonered likes this.
  18. Mar 28, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    helix66

helix66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DPRC
    Vehicle:
    2017 DclB TRDor MgM
    ProGrille,MesoStuff,Tinted,AllPro sliders, RCI full AL skids, KDmaxPro tune, Demello stealth bumper, Warn evo10s, BD s8 & squadrons
    ANy chance you’d do a similar mod for an anytime locker?

19. Mar 28, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    lapoltba[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 28, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    lapoltba

Member:
    CT - 06076
    Vehicle:
    If you take a look at the thread started by @BigWhiteTRD the possibility of doing a nice PnP harness is pretty much nil.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-gen-development.537810/page-15#post-20158538

The TLDR version is, in order to disable ESC and ABS with the locker manually engaged, you would need to splice into the ABS computer harness in the engine bay. It is possible to engage the locker without doing that, but I'm not willing to put my name on something that does it. I'm also not willing to tell people to cut into factory wiring for that system. All the info is in the thread if you want to try for yourself. I can give you the part numbers and source for the connectors you would need.

helix66[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top