1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MR E30, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    MR E30

MR E30 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    Day 1 –2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

After patiently waiting for what felt like an eternity, it was finally time to embark on the 2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR.

Some brief backstory: The 1st Annual AZTW AZBDR had been undertaken by (4) Tacoma owners from TW (of which I was NOT a participant). (1) had a hub issue which caused a premature closure to his portion of the trip. The first section of the trail had been snow-covered, which hindered the groups progress on the AZBDR. 13-degree temperatures, combined with the slow progress, made for excitement, albeit a limited amount of covered ground.

Anyways…..

This 2nd Annual trip would be comprised of many different parts and pieces. I’ll attempt an accurate breakdown below:

Day 1 – My journey from Flagstaff to just North of the official start point of the AZBDR. Attendees: Michael @MR E30 in his 3rd gen Tacoma

Day 2 – Connecting with (2) additional travelers in the morning, with (1) more joining that evening. Attendees: Morning: Todd @xtremewlr and his dog Poncho with his 1st gen Tacoma, and Eric, who is co-worker of Todd’s and is not a member of TW with his 3rd gen 4Runner, which was dubbed an honorary 1st gen Tacoma for this trip. Evening: Mike @Atl-atl with his 3rd gen Tacoma.

Day 3 – Connecting with (3) additional travelers in the morning in Benson, AZ, with (2) more joining that evening. Attendees: Morning: Daryl @Phessor and his daughter with his 1st gen Tacoma, Danny @Sapnjack with his 3rd gen Tacoma, and Chris @chrslefty and his GF with his 1st gen Tacoma. Evening: Andy @Ace115 and his GF with his 1st gen Tacoma and Ian @ParadigmShifter with his 3rd gen Tacoma

Day 4 – Connecting with the final traveler, for a total of (10) rigs, with (1) individual leaving that afternoon. Attendees: Logan @Lfaub03 with his 1st gen Tacoma.

Day 5 – Dispersal of the group in various directions, with myself leaving early in the morning. I cannot fully describe the events of this day as I was not present.

So, with all of that in mind, I packed up the truck on the 23rd of February 2020 and patiently awaited the time to hit the road south on the 26th of February.

[​IMG]AZBDR Start by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The 26th finally arrived, and my excitement was at the bursting point. With lots of people joining in, which leads to myriad new friendships, and the trip itself, I was ready to set off.

I would be starting the AZBDR at the official starting point on Day 2. More folks would join at various points along the route.

To make the predetermined start point of 9 am at Montezuma’s Pass (~3.2 miles from the official start point) on the 27th, I opted to knock out the miles south the day before.

So, at 3:30 in the afternoon I started my rather leisurely drive south towards the US/Mexico border. The truck is in the same trim it was for my 2019 Closure trip, Another Water Crossing!?! https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/another-water-crossing.644920/

The drive south was slow and careful, without haste or interruptions. Watership Down played through the trucks stereo to help me pass the time.

I turned off of the I-10 East at the HWY 90 South and looked for a place to set up camp, as it was approaching 9 pm at this point. I entered the Kartchner Caverns State Park to procure a camp site, but the entire site was completely full. So, I left, continued south, and quickly found a dirt road to camp off of.

The tent was quick to deploy, and my recent decision to streamline the tent portion of overland adventures went well (basically organizing the things I take into the tent each night). I quickly fell asleep, though I had plenty of service in this particular spot, so I posted a quick update to TW about my progress.

Day 2 –2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

At 6:45 the next morning, having arrived after dark, I was able to take in my humble surroundings:

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 1 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 2 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 3 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A picturesque place to be.

I made a quick breakfast of eggs, sausage, tea, and butter tea while packing up camp. I received a call from @xtremewlr letting me know that he and Eric had hit some traffic coming out of Tucson due to an accident and would be arriving at Montezuma’s pass at 10 am. This was no issue for me, as I was enjoying the leisurely start to the trip. Plus, it would give me time to explore the Coronado National Memorial, which is the official starting point of the AZBDR.

I camped very light for this trip, and it wasn’t long before everything was packed back into the truck.

At 9:10 am I arrived at the Coronado National Monument as a group of people were being loaded into a van with a Ranger to go on a 3-mile hike along the rim at Montezuma’s Pass (a free service for anyone interested). I went inside the station and read through the history of the particular piece of Earth I found myself on, on this rather pleasant and sunny day.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 4 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As a veteran of the USMC, I never pass an opportunity to snap a picture of Ol’ Glory near one of my things:

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 5 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

While in the parking lot, (2) Border Patrol trucks full of agents pulled into the parking lot. This certainly wouldn’t be the last time we would see these people during the first leg of the trip, as you stay very close to the US/Mexico border for quite some time!

Having briefly quenched my thirst for knowledge, I began the ~3.2-mile trek from the Coronado National Monument to Montezuma’s Pass.

The road starts off as paved for ~1 mile, after which it switches to well graded dirt, as it is used by Border Patrol and the Rangers frequently. It is very steep, a road that would be very difficult to travel with snow atop it, but for this day it is as dry as can be.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 6 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The steep path yields excellent views of this most wonderful state. As you’ll see throughout this trip report, Arizona is a place of immense and varied beauty:

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 7 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 8 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A sign welcomes you to the Coronado National Forest.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 9 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

At 6,575 ft, this would be the peak elevation we would reach on our entire trip (excluding my journey into and out of Flagstaff of course).

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 10 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 11 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As you crest the mountain range and arrive at Montezuma’s Pass you are greeted with immense views of incredible landscape all around you.

Although hard (or impossible) to see in the photo below, the border fence is present.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 12 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Once atop the peak, the steep and curvy road lays itself out before you.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 13 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Having arrived ~30 minutes before @xtremewlr and Eric, I explored Joe’s Canyon Trail as I waited.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 14 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A popular place to explore, a nice bench is made available to use while you take in the wide-open views from atop this place.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 15 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 16 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

On my way down I was lucky enough to spot @xtremewlr and Eric heading up the road I had just traversed, looking rather small from such a vantage point.

@xtremewlr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 17 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Eric

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 18 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Arriving precisely at 10 am, we all introduce ourselves, check out each other’s rigs, and prep for the dirt filled journey ahead.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 19 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We all air down, and at 10:16 we set off on our trip. (1) had officially become (3). @xtremewlr takes the lead, as he has been here before, and he has the .gpx file from the BDR website, and a GPS capable of using that info.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 20 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The trail quickly takes you from the peak, down into the valley/plains below. The roads are incredibly well maintained, as again they are used heavily by the USBP, so miles are ticked off quickly. This is not anything like last year (@xtremewlr was present), where the ground was covered in fresh snow, and the trail difficult to travel at almost any speed.

The views from down below are no less awe-inspiring.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 21 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As with all of my trips thus far, Cows!

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 22 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A small side shoot, which takes you right to the border, was briefly missed, but we are quickly back on track.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 23 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

At the border, we all hop out to chat, and snap a few photos. The fence is nothing crazy, and I reach through it to grab a handful of Mexico.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 24 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 25 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before long we are off again. Passing parked BP agents was not out of the ordinary. As we drove along I stopped frequently to snap photos of the landscape.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 26 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 27 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 28 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 29 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 30 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before we know it, we get off of dirt and do a brief stint of paved road.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 31 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I should let you all know that I am not very good at prepping trail routes or following .gpx files, so ever since @xtremewlr arrived, I subsequently stopped keeping particular track of exactly where we were, and the remainder of this trip report will highlight that.

We arrive in Sonoita and stop for some gasoline.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 33 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

While filling up, @xtremewlr makes friends with a couple that was riding an adventure bike all the way from Canada! They have a dog that is almost identical to Poncho, who rides on the bike in a special case that lets him stick his head out to feel the breeze. They say the dog absolutely loves it.

He lets them know that we are driving the AZBDR and he wishes them good luck on their long journey as they part ways.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 32 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before long we enter the Las Cienegas National Conservation Area, which is the home to our first group camping site of the trip.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 34 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We make good time, as we are all ready for lunch, as we travel down more well graded dirt roads. These roads are what Tacomas are made for, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself, with moderate use of the skinny pedal when the opportunity presents itself.

We find a spot off of the side of the road to have lunch. We pull out chairs, eat, and chat about the trip thus far, what we all do for a living, the trip, and AZ in general. All very pleasant conversation with (2) guys and (1) pup that are quickly becoming good friends.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 35 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Having consumed a leisurely lunch, @xtremewlr informs Eric and I that the campsite where we would be meeting Mike @Atl-atl is approximately 15-20 minutes up the road.

With @xtremewlr in the lead (as he graciously led 95% of the trip) Eric and I are surprised when he pulls off of the road again just 30 seconds from our lunch spot!

We had arrived at camp, nice and early in the afternoon. Having arrived so early, @xtremewlr and Eric opted to continue exploring the road ahead of camp, which we would not be traversing the following morning. Needing a gate guy, I rode shotgun with Eric in his 4Runner, thoroughly enjoying the very difficult, 4Lo travel that the road provided.

I did not bring my camera, but the views continued to be incredible. You’ll just have to go and find out for yourself I suppose.

After playing around for nearly 2 hours, we made our way back to camp and set up our tents. All (3) of us using some brand of RTT or another, with the going joke during the entire trip being “Which brand of from the same Chinese manufacturer made RTT do you happen to own?” Hahaha (*Flame suit on)

(2) giant widowmaker Cottonwood trees fill camp with their massive curved and droopy branches.

[​IMG]Day 2 - AZBDR - 36 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Dinner is a quick affair, and @xtremewlr had limited cell reception during our exploration of the 4Lo road, so we received an update from @Atl-atl that he would be arriving to camp sometime near 7 pm.

Having brought several hundred pounds of prime campfire wood, I unload a portion from the truck and get a nice warm fire going.

We set up chairs around the campfire and continue our earlier discussion of life, Toyotas, and adventures.

Nearer to 8 pm, the (3) of us see truck lights out in the distance. I turn on the truck and fire up my CB, hoping to reach @Atl-atl over comms, however his radio is slightly off and it is impossible to accurately make out what he is saying. However, @xtremewlr takes his flashlight out to the road and flashes it, guiding @Atl-atl into camp.

He hops out, munches on some food, and introduces himself to @xtremewlr and Eric. I had previously camped with @Atl-atl last May before Overland Expo West.

Deep into the evening we chat about life, work, and more Toyotas. We also discuss our meeting point for the following morning, where we pick up Danny @Sapnjack, Daryl @Phessor and his daughter, and Chris @chrslefty and his GF in Benson, AZ. We have a predetermined 9 am meetup time at the 86 Café, so we all plan on leaving camp at 7:30 am to make it there in time.

I climb into my tent, after letting my Mr. Heater Buddy warm the inside for me. I quickly fall asleep with an alarm set for 6:30 the following morning.

This first day as a group (Day 2 from my perspective) was an excellent one, and I fall asleep looking forward to what the next day (Day 3) will bring!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    Looks like a fun trip! Thanks for all the sweet photos!

MR E30[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    :popcorn: Awesome.

AZBDR is on my list; surprised you can run it so early in the year. (Or can it?, I guess we'll see!) If it can, that's awesome and likely makes it a "next year" trip for me!

4. Mar 2, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4 1990 Toyota Celica ST
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    Stay tuned to the AZ section because I too plan on running it next year.

I think it's gonna eventually look like a funeral procession if it gets any more popular...

5. Mar 3, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    Day 3 –2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

I awoke for Day 3 after a very restful nights sleep on my Exped Megamat (shoutout to @turbodb for recommending this thing). The ‘self-inflating’ (though it always require a bit of topping off via the hand pump, though it is not bothersome to do) air mattress definitely helps keep cold at bay, boasting an R-value (numerical system for determining the insulating capabilities of certain items/systems) of 9, which is leagues above a conventional foam mattress. This meant I stayed comfortable all night, despite the low temperatures.

Having to leave camp by 7:30, all (4) of us were up at 6:30 packing up camp. The sun, while not shining on camp directly, provided enough light for the morning.

Breakfast, for me, was another efficient affair of hard-boiled eggs, sausage, tea, and butter tea.

@Atl-atl aired down for the upcoming dirt miles, and with one of the fastest mornings in a camp that I have ever had, we set off down the road to meet our three additional comrades in Benson, AZ.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 37 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The group was growing!

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 38 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We made great time to Benson AZ and quickly discovered that the planned meeting point, the 86 Café, was closed until 11 am. So, @xtremewlr made a quick post on TW notifying everyone that we would be meeting at the Road House Café instead. Conveniently, it was a mere mile or so up the road in the small town.

There we met with Daryl @Phessor and his daughter, Danny @Sapnjack, and Chris @chrslefty and his GF.

Introductions all around, as most of the folks were new to each other, while a couple had met previously, the enjoyment of Toyotas, and Tacomas in particular, bringing this group of people together to share in an adventure!

@xtremewlr and @Phessor catching up with each other.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 39 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Due to the size of the parking lot and the sheer quantity of us, we were spread all around, though I did my best to snap a photo of everybody’s rigs.

Left to right: Eric, @MR E30, and @Sapnjack

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 40 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The best looking 3rd gen around, @Atl-atl (tan Tacoma not a part of our entourage)

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 41 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

After introductions and a quick breakfast at the café, we all set off out of Benson and got back to dirt!

With new attendees to the growing group, we stopped to let them air down to their desired pressures.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 42 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 43 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The going was once again smooth and fast. The first few trucks had little dust issues and could stay closer together, but near the back (where I was) more space was necessary to keep the dust to a manageable level.

We passed a few random people on this trip, as the AZBDR uses more well-traveled roads in many places.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 44 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As we cruised along, chattering on the CB’s and figuring out the right cruising speeds at our position in the assembly of Toyotas, beautiful scenery popped up around us.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 45 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 46 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 47 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 48 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We transitioned between dirt and paved roads as we followed the tracks of the AZBDR.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 49 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 50 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We stop for gas in Mammoth, AZ and we use it as a good opportunity to once again spend some time getting to know each other.

Eric and @chrslefty

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 51 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr, @Atl-atl, @Sapnjack, @Phessor, @MR E30

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 52 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We leave the very small town and quickly get back to the dirt. The trail immediately out of Mammoth is very tight, with overgrown branches reaching out to pinstripe our rigs. We cross numerous puddles as we traverse, some of us splashing to get our trucks dirty, while others prefer a calmer crossing.

The road eventually crosses a cattleguard and opens back up to allow for faster travel.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 53 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

It is once again a smooth graded road, this time paralleling a set of train tracks. The train tracks use several trestles to span the washes below, which sounds like a great place to stop and get some photos……………..

At one point we halt, and I quickly jump out of the truck for a quick group photo.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 54 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We come across a wash, with the railroad tracks above. Time for a photoshoot!

@Atl-atl backing in

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 55 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr sneaking to his spot

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 56 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Sapnjack moving in while @Phessor and @chrslefty patiently wait their turn.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 57 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 58 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

35’s…. drool…..

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 59 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr living up to his online handle!

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 60 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

While everyone was squeezing in I hopped on top of my RTT to snap some photos of our surroundings.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 61 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Getting in there!

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 62 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 63 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Taking pictures of people taking pictures.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 64 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I finally sneak in.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 65 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I climb up onto the tracks to get a different vantage point.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 66 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 67 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 68 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

When it’s time to leave I pull out first so I can snag photos of folks as they pull out of the wash.

Eric

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 69 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Sapnjack

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 70 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@chrslefty

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 71 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 72 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 73 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Phessor

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 74 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before long, a more spacious wash presents itself, and we once again have to stop for group photos!

This time, the 3rd gens take the back, with 1st gens up in front.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 75 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The group (minus me of course, with Daryl hidden behind Danny)

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 76 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

With the afternoon moving along, @xtremewlr lets us know over the CB that we are coming up on the large wash that he and the group from last year stumbled upon while looking for a place to camp. He assured us that it was definitely one to remember, as it is a nice green (in the desert no less!) and peaceful place to spend time camping with each other.

With that, we continued along, quickly coming to the opening of the wash.

Another group photo, all side by side, was in order!

Left to Right: @MR E30, @Atl-atl, @chrslefty, @xtremewlr, @Phessor, Eric, @Sapnjack

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 77 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 78 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Our thirst for group photos temporarily quenched, @xtremewlr leads us down the wash, with me taking second position. Water flows slowly along the wash floor. We would later discover that it simply seeps out of the ground a little past camp, most likely due to the slight elevation change and the water table at this time of year.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 79 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Having arrived in camp with plenty of daylight left, @Atl-atl, Eric and I opt to go explore further up the wash, as we would not be traveling that direction the following morning. So I ride shotgun with @Atl-atl and we have an absolute blast driving quickly along the smooth sandy wash bottom.

We explore the wash as far north as we can, before coming across a large swath of private land that brings our adventure to an end.

On the way back, we find a turnoff for the ‘Arizona Trail’ and follow it for a brief moment to gain some elevation and take in the scenery around us before heading back to camp.

[​IMG]Day 3 - AZBDR - 80 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Back at camp Eric and I set up our tents (@Atl-atl the only adventurer who does not utilize a RTT on this night), and get to eating and relaxing with everyone around the fire pit.

@Ace115 and @ParadigmShifter have an arrival time of around 7 pm, so while we wait to meet even more new friends we all sit around the fire enjoying dinner and each other’s company. We chat more about Tacomas, some 4Runner stuff, what all of our forum names mean, how we got into this particular type of truck. You know, the good stuff. We question @Sapnjack about his medical knowledge, and folks ask me about engineering related stuff. We (or maybe just me) chat mountain bikes with @Atl-atl due to his vast experience. We reminisce on past adventures, simply enjoying being in the company of like-minded individuals.

@Ace115 and his GF and @ParadigmShifter arrive at dark and introductions are made all around. They set up their RTT’s and bring chairs over to the fire to join in on the conversation.

(1) had become (3), which became (4), which had then become (7), and finally there were (9).

The night continues as one would expect on an event such as this. Laughter is frequent, stories are shared, and knowledge is spread. All in all, the exact place I wanted to be at that moment.

As the hours tick by, it finally becomes time to head off to bed. We have a proposed 9 am departure time the following morning, so @Sapnjack smothers the campfire and we all head off to our respective tents.

My Exped once again keeps me warm and comfortable, and I fall asleep to the tranquil sound of water slowly flowing in the wash below, excited for what another day of adventure will bring to our group.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. Mar 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    You're always welcome to join us if you can make it. We are trying to keep this as an annual event, running at the end of February.

7. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    Day 4 –2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

After another wonderful night’s sleep, I am one of the first out of my tent sometime around 6:30 am.

With the departure time set for 9 am, there is little rush, so we all awake slowly, taking time to continue conversations from the previous night, enjoy breakfast, and take in the wonderful place we picked to spend the night.

See what I meant about the greenery!

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 80 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 82 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 83 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Sapnjack has a truck full of goodies and is very happy to share them with everyone, setting up his propane coffee maker as the morning gets going.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 81 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr, Eric, and @MR E30, with @Sapnjack to follow soon after, leave camp at 9 am and pull out onto the wash to line up the rigs for departure.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 84 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 85 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

After a little while, everyone has packed up and we are set to roll out!

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 86 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I once again jump ahead of the group, swing the truck around, and pull out the camera. This time I will capture a photo of every attendee.

The group on the move.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 87 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Ace115

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 88 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 89 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@ParadigmShifter

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 90 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Eric

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 91 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@chrslefty

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 92 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Sapnjack

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 93 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Atl-atl

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 94 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Phessor

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 95 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I pull in behind @Phessor and we begin our travel for the day, exiting the wide wash we previously entered the night before.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 96 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The trail picks up just outside of the wash, on the opposite side of a small metal fence. It is quick to twist, climb, and turn as we travel along. @Ace115 has the lead (the only time @xtremewlr didn’t take first position) and I bring up the rear. Our comms are loud and clear, with consistent updates between the two of us about the status of the group.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 97 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 98 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before long the convoy halts and we hear @Ace115 key in over the CB to let us know that our first micro challenge had presented itself.

I hop out of the truck and run up to the front of the convoy and stumble across a small washed out portion of road that someone had filled with pieces of timber.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 99 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

With a brief discussion we conclude that this wont represent a serious challenge for anyone, including me (who has the most stock rig, tires/suspension wise, out of the whole group) as long as we stick tight to the wall on the drivers side.

With that @Ace115 quickly passes over.

@xtremewlr goes next.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 100 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@ParadigmShifter hugs tight to the wall and gets through without issue.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 101 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@Sapnjack is up next and hops right on through without a second thought.

At this point I jog back to my truck, which is sitting all by itself very far away.

I climb through with no scrapes and radio in that everyone has passed the obstacle.

We continue on, stopping occasionally so that @xtremewlr can communicate with @Lfaub03, our final attendee, about when and where to meet him.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 102 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This trail is also tighter, with small puddles here and there.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 103 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Before we know it, we exit the trail and jump onto paved road as we near Winkleman, AZ. It is here that we will stop for gas, and confirm final meetup info for @Lfaub03.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 104 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Gas acquired, we pull off of the road at Spring Droppings Rd and have lunch while waiting for @Lfaub03. @Sapnjack graciously pulls out his awning to give the group a bit of shade in the bright overhead sun.

@Lfaub03 is quick to arrive and after a brief round of introductions we head out once again, this time conquering Pioneer Pass.

Now there are (10). This is the highest number of rigs I have ever trailed with, and I have not come across a larger group in any trip report that I have read thus far. Hopefully next year is even larger!

It was on this pass, last year, while covered in deep unplowed snow, that the group made the decision to turn around, as continuing up the tight, cliff-edged, trail proved too dangerous.

But today? It was a splendid road to travel!

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 105 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 106 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Another stop for a group photo is in order. Unfortunately, there were no high vantage points nearby, so these photos must do.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 107 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 108 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Photoshoot over, @xtremewlr once again takes the lead and I take second place for this section of trail.

The travel is easy going, though a bit more difficult than the open fast flowing roads of yesterday. Some engage 4Lo, while others opt to continue on in 2Hi.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 109 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The trail opens up to great views as it winds around the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 110 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

@xtremewlr jumps out for a photo.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 111 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Peaking at ~6150 ft above sea level, we successfully traverse Pioneer Pass and head on down the backside of the mountain. It is here that we enter Tonto National Forest.

We eventually exit the dirt road, spilled out onto pavement in the back of a small neighborhood, where we press on to find some more gasoline and a Wal-Mart for some supplies.

It is time for @Atl-atl to depart from the group and head home for an early flight the following morning.

We were back down to (9).

Supplies and gas acquired, it is time to head out towards Roosevelt Lake and find a spot to camp for the night.

We begin to grab some serious elevation, but we drop back down a bit as we get closer to Roosevelt Lake. Beautiful mountain ranges fill our vision as we drive along.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 112 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 113 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 114 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 115 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 116 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 117 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Turning back onto dirt, we come across a small weir and cross it, with our campsite on the other side.

@Ace115 goes through nice and slow, with @MR E30 going through with haste!

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 118 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We pull into a large campsite near more Cottonwood trees just on the other side of the weir. After a moment we decide to move further up the road to see if there may be another site to use.

We set off, and eventually realize nothing better than what we found was along this very smooth and fast-paced road.

With that, we head back, all of us enjoying this road at speed.

We get back and begin setting up camp. I position my truck nearest the road, as I will be leaving the earliest (or so I thought!) to get to a prearranged dinner get-together Sunday afternoon.

Where I park is conveniently nearest the fire pit, so I unload the remaining 1/3rd of the firewood from my truck bed at the pit. The truck breaths a sigh of relief as it no longer has to carry around all that wood!

@Sapnjack again sets up his propane fire pit to set the ambiance for the evening, before I finish dinner and start up a wood fire.

Chairs are quick to be set up, and people begin to plop down around the fire, the main attraction for this final evening of the trip. Those of us who have been traveling since the beginning (or close to it), are comfortable and relaxed, with those who just joined quickly falling into the same space.

The sunset is a good one, one that only a place like Arizona can deliver, and we all hop up to get a few photos.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 119 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 120 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Another picture of people taking pictures!

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 121 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

I snap a few final shots of rigs spread around camp before heading back to my chair.

[​IMG]Day 4 - AZBDR - 122 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Once again, engaging conversations are had around the fire as night sets in.

The conversation varies all the way from the Joe Rogan Experience to weaponry to Poncho. Let me tell you this. Arizonans know their firearms. Holy cow! Knives are passed around at one point, as everyone shares what knives they carry, where they got them, and what they like about them the most.

@Lfaub03 takes center stage for a moment, sharing with us his experience and the enjoyment he has for an old Subaru of his. He mentions that he has done a surprising amount of work to the old thing, just to keep it going. This leads me to crack a joke about his mental stability, which elicits laughter from the group, as that is serious commitment to an old Subaru.

At another point, someone (maybe @Ace115) brings up Siamese cats, and I respond that it appears that a pair of balls grew some legs, and that I wasn’t a big fan. Right after I said that, @Phessor daughter, who is younger, but not so young, says “That’s exactly what I think.” @Phessor immediately leans back in his chair and gives his daughter that questioning fatherly stare. This immediately breaks the entire group into raucous laughter! A spur of the moment, moment, that leaves us with another great memory!

Conversation continues as wood is fed into the fire. The night is a great one, with friendships being solidified, so that next time we meet it won’t be to a firm handshake with a stranger, but with a solid embrace between friends.

As @Ace115 said on his March 1st, 2020 post “Plenty of incredible views to take in but the company was the best part of the trip.” Could not have said it better myself.

As with all good things, they must come to a close. As the night pressed on it became time to retire to bed.

Good nights were shared, and everyone headed off to their respective places of rest.

I had an early start the following morning, so I had my morning routine prepared before I climbed into the tent, in an effort to keep quiet while everyone else was sleeping.

I climb into bed and am quick to fall asleep. Several nights in the wilderness does the body good. Make sure you prioritize time to experience things like this.

Day 5 –2nd Annual AZTW AZBDR

This is the part of the trip report where we begin to split ways. I can only share what I know, which is little about the group that remained behind me. It appears that they explored a nice waterfall, traveling up into/near Young, AZ before everyone went their separate ways.

For me, I awoke at 5:45 and got to business. Breakfast was the same as all of the other days, something I did on purpose. I was in the groove now, which made me understand that an even longer trip is in order one of these days.

Right before I left, Eric and @xtremewlr were awake, and I bid them farewell, or so I thought, as I fired up the truck and pulled out onto the smooth dirt road at camp.

I had investigated on my GPS the night before and determined that I could continue North on Cherry Creel trail up towards Young, AZ. This seemed like a great idea to me, as the end of the trail was only 20 or so miles up the road, which would take no longer than ~40 minutes to travel as the road is in incredible shape.

So, at 7 am, I pull out and continue along between the two mountain ranges.

I was back to (1).

[​IMG]Day 5 - AZBDR - 123 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Now this is where it gets interesting. You see, up to this point I have been traveling with experienced dirt drivers, with winches, maxtrax, straps, etc. even though we had mostly been traversing roads/trails that a passenger car could conquer, albeit not as comfortably.

It is only now, that I am alone and attempting to make a predetermined meeting point at a certain time, that I get to the hard stuff.

You see, Cherry Creek trail does not go on in the same manner forever. In fact, just ~4 miles North of camp you pass the Ellison Ranch, and cross some healthy water flow.

[​IMG]Day 5 - AZBDR - 124 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Shortly after this, you come across a battered old sign stating, ‘Flood Damage Ahead”, now, this should have been my clue to turn around. However, I was already on this trail, and had my mind set on getting to the end of it. This is a habit I need to learn to break.

Because the road became atrocious. Almost undriveable in places due to the numerous floods over the years that just destroyed the roadway.

I press through a tough section and get back to a brief section of smoother, faster travel. I continue to reason with myself that I have probably been through the worst of it, and that I am home free.

This could not be farther from the truth.

Below is a video made by two bikers years ago, which shows a difficult to travel road. However, this trail is in far worse shape now.

Below is my response to a question posed by another member of the trip:

Posting this from my conversation with @Sapnjack about continuing along the Cherry Creek Road.

Video in response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wndEG7ioS8U

"No, it is much, much worse than that now. The hillside on the left has slid down to within just a foot or so of the boulder. It would be hard to even walk a bicycle through the gap if you tried to keep it next to you.

The whole road looked ravaged compared to the video those bikers made. As if a serious, or even two or three serious, floods had pulled a lot of the hillside down onto the path.

I crossed the river (with the two splits in it) that they crossed at the 6:09 mark on their video. The Ellison Ranch is located right there.

I also saw the Tonto National Forest sign at the 6:38 mark.

But before that was a sign stating "Flood Damage Ahead". This should have been my clue to turn around. This portion of the road has foot sized boulders for several hundred feet that really rocked the truck.

The smaller water crossing at 6:52 is ravaged now. Much more rutted and damaged now. Slow to crawl through, with a bumping of my underside.

And finally, at 6:59, the hillside is decimated as I described above.

Didn't make it past the boulder obviously.

From the video I can tell that they followed the 'Cherry Creek trail' like I attempted to do on the morning of March 1st, 2020. However, it is completed destroyed relative to their rather tame video. Huge trees had been washed over the road, with someone cutting them back just enough to squeeze a Tacoma through, although I did get a very, very healthy pinstripe down my entire passenger side, which will take a complete cut and polish to remove."

I eventually came to the large boulder in the video, though it was in much worse condition. I had reached the end of the line. I had to turn around and travel back all the way that I had come, a 2-hr detour of nothingness. That is life sometimes.

So with that, I manage to get the truck turned around and I make my way through the ravaged water crossing, though this time I need to climb out of it, not down and through it. This causes some rear end dragging, further solidifying the decision to go HC rear in the future.

The travel is slow, but I eventually make it back to the smoother portion of road.

I pull back up to camp, very late at this point, and surprise everyone with my presence. I give them the quick rundown, with @Sapnjack notifying me that the trail I took was the AZBDR ‘Expert’ path. #facepalm

They question me about the boulder, which I have described above, and assure them that passing it is simply out of the question. I am a bit upset with myself that I didn’t film or photograph it, as I need to let the BDR folks know that that path should be removed from their maps and .gpx files. It is simple impassable by anyone who isn’t on foot or on a mountain bike.

With a final set of goodbyes to everyone I race on down the dirt road, eventually coming across Eric who had left camp before I made it back. He too was surprised as I filled him in and we both pulled out to the road near Roosevelt Lake to air up and head our separate ways.

The drive home was exciting, as it winds up and through several mountain ranges, and I made it home without issue.

As a quick trip breakdown to close out the trip report:

897 miles on the truck for this trip. My trucks 60,000 mile service is in store in the next two months.

Unsure of ratio of dirt to paved miles as we continuously switched between the two numerous times per day.

I received one serious pinstripe, which will take a paint correction (which I can do myself thankfully) to remove. I also knocked my alignment out of whack with a slight steering wheel tilt to the passenger side, although it was barely noticeable on the 3 hr paved drive home. Both of these occurred on that final portion of hard trail on Cherry Creek Tr.

I’ll do a rig review and product breakdown in the near future.

Thanks for looking!

Until next time………

8. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    Awesome write-up, thank you!

Ace115 and MR E30[OP] like this.
  9. Mar 4, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    chrslefty

chrslefty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    01 trd
    Stockish
    Well done sir. It was a pleasure to have meet and traveled with you. Thank you for sharing the story and pictures.

MR E30[OP] and Ace115 like this.
  10. Mar 5, 2020 at 12:09 AM
    DetroitDarin

DetroitDarin Specified

Member:
    York County PA
    Scratches and Whatnot
    Thank you for the report!

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Good writeup and great photos! I found your trip report after returning from my first foray off pavement in Arizona since an Arizona Strip excursion over 30 years ago. At least on 4 wheels; I did some fun mountain biking near the North Rim last year. Last we week, we explored off Redington Pass north of Tucson, beautiful country and great dispersed camping if you go far enough in to get away from the crowds. A beautiful state - I’ll be back!

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  12. Mar 10, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    Atl-atl

Atl-atl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    Great writeup and photos! Thanks for such a detailed trip report. We cant wait a whole year to do it again. I think we should do trips like this twice a year, maybe quarterly! Who wants to do a big caravan to Overland Expo in May?

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  13. Mar 11, 2020 at 12:20 AM
    chrslefty

chrslefty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    01 trd
    Stockish
    I bet you could do a lot of it off pavement. Going through crown king.

Lfaub03 and MR E30[OP] like this.
  14. Mar 11, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    You definitely could. I just recently did south of Crown King to Prescott all dirt.

Lfaub03 and chrslefty[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Mar 11, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    I agree. More trips for sure.

Definitely down to do the Expo. Even a fan of the strategy you pulled last year, which involved camping deep in the woods in Flag and then biking into the expo. I could easily be convinced to do that if it's a viable option.

Lfaub03 and chrslefty like this.
  16. Mar 11, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    Lfaub03

Lfaub03 4wd wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD
    4wd conversion
    I won't be wheeling to Overland Expo seeing as how I live 10 minutes away from it, but I'll definitely be there with my club from NAU!

Products Discussed in

To Top