1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Backup Camera for Trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by MudDog, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    MudDog

MudDog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    I just got a dual cab 2010 Tacoma w/tow package a couple of weeks ago and am loving it.

With the inlcuded backup camera, I've been able to get rid of the telescoping tennis balls for hitching up :)

Has anyone thought about installing a second camera on the back of the trailer and then installing a switch near the tow harness so that once you're connected to the trailer you could switch the camera to the one on the back of the trailer?

Anyone know if the Gentex Mirror can handle the LCD display being on continually rather than just when you're in reverse? (it would be nice to by-pass the display working in reverse only when you're towing so you could always see behind you).

2. Nov 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is a mod to turn on the camera any time in any gear. I think it stays on for five minutes.

You might want to develop a way to switch from one camera to another from inside the cab. Then you could visually check the hitch, or look behind the trailer, at your whim.

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    MudDog

MudDog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5

Thanks JKD - found the "camera anytime" mod - and good idea about putting the switch up front - will look into doing that way.

4. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I think My Eclipse AVN has an extra video line that may be used for an extra Vid camera input at a push of button... You have to go to option source

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    fallon

fallon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Does anybody know what type of camera you need to drive the mirror display?

I've got a large cargo trailer I'm thinking about getting a cheap camera for & mounting it on the back... Just run the wire up to the hitch & unplug the wire on your tail gate, plug in the trailer cam wire and away you go.

I just don't know what type of camera or signal I need to track down to drive the mirror.

Products Discussed in

To Top