1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gear a PITA for everyone?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by z33tec, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:47 AM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    I have this 2nd gear crunch my self. I've tried redline, motul, liquimoly, amsoil, they all shift silky smooth initially, but after 300 miles or so when the oil breaks in the crunch comes back. After a good long drive when the trans fluid gets nice and hot the crunch goes away but sadly this is basically how it is. No miracle fix. Ford makes a transmission fluid that a lot of miata guys use because they also have crunchy gears, going to use that next time to see how it goes but I don't have my hopes up. Seems like shifting more gently and giving the 2nd gear more dwell time for the synchros to work helps a bit. I think part of the issue is because of the large gear ratio difference between 1st and 2nd because going from 3rd to 2nd I never get a crunch.

wags likes this.
  2. Apr 17, 2020 at 8:20 PM
    po35042

po35042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 ACab with Old Man Package, MT, 2.7L, Spruce Mica
    Camper Shell w/roof rack, Bed stiffeners, Step Bars
    Try shifting without letting up on the gas pedal. I know this goes against everything we learned growing up. I have had limited success doing this with my 2012 Tacoma and 2014 FR-S. The drivetrains just don't seem to have as much mass in the flywheel anymore and the revs drop like a stone.

Also when its near freezing in the mornings, go slow and try to stay in first for 300 yards or so if possible when leaving your driveway. I can usually get into 2nd easier if I do this.

Recently put MT90 in the truck and it helps a bit. FR-S is still on factory fill but will get MT90 next.

anthonyg12136 likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    anthonyg12136

anthonyg12136 New Member

Member:
    I just purchased my truck somewhat recently... and i absolutely love it.. but I am having the same issues from 1st into 2nd.. It was worse when I first got it, but I did a fluid change with redline, and it definitely made a difference, less whiney sounding, definitely smoother. Once in a while if i am really careless it sort of feels like it wants to grind.. But as long as you have the timing down with the shift it is actualy quite smooth. but i noticed you do have to be sort of finessy? with it for it to be super smooth. When cold no matter what i do it will be clunky as hell until it is warm. I havent experienced super cold temps yet, and since I am moving south, I am hoping I dont have to.. haha.

Anyway... for the hell of it.. I went out and test drove numerous different tacomas.. older.. newer.. same year.. and every single one of them felt the same, except for one that felt even worse than mine.. So my worry is gone.. haha

po35042 likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2022 at 4:01 PM
    IEsurfer

IEsurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    My issue with mine is when only in 4lo when I down shift into 2nd gear from 3rd I find it easier to double shift to get it into 2nd

5. Oct 29, 2022 at 5:23 PM
    Nessmuk

Nessmuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlottesville, Va
    Vehicle:
    2.7 5sp AC w/SR & convenience pkg
    I have been driving a manual for 53 years. I have tried Redline and to be honest I couldn’t feel much of a difference over StaLube GL4 gear oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top