1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gptoy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    gptoy

gptoy [OP] 09 DCLB TRD Sport

Member:
    Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    I finally have something to contribute! I just installed a small system in my truck so I thought I'd share what I did.

I like having an aftermarket stereo in my truck for the extra features they have so once I got my new-to-me Taco I knew I'd be putting something in fairly soon. I don't like anything too flashy that'll attract attention nor do I want to rattle windows all the way down the street while I drive through either so a small amp/sub combo with a aftermarket deck w/ iPod control was on my list.

For the sub, being that I only have an Access Cab and two little girls I wanted to keep all 4 seats available for the times that my wife had the 4Runner and I had to use my truck for family duty. I know there are boxes out there to fit this bill but I'm on a budget, I had an old 10" JL since forever and an old amp I bought for my old 4Runner forever ago so I wanted to use those and build a box to fit between the two back jump seats. It's a very low-buck system overall.

I had an Alpine CDA 9886 that worked really well in my last Taco, but I found a really good deal on a JVC double din DVD deck (KW-AVX720) that I had to jump on. It's more flashy then what I planned for but I like the DVD option and it looks less "aftermarket" when installed in my opinion (looks like a factory installed NAV even though Taco's never came with them, perhaps this would deter potential theives that don't know this(yes, I'm a bit paranoid)) so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I also got the Sirius kit so it'll run through the deck.

The box took some time to put together, I used 3/4" MDF for the top/bottom/edges of the box, and 1/2" MDF for the sides. I wrapped it in foam-style carpet underlay (almost like memory foam) and wrapped it in marine grade vinyl. I wanted the box to look like it belonged as part of the truck, again not to attract too much attention. The idea is that it'd look/act as an arm rest between the back seats and sort of look like an extension of the center console. The vinyl is a bit lighter grey than the factory interior but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Although the box is wedged in there so tight I pretty much rendered the storage pockets under the back seats useless as it was a extremly tight fit to get it in there. And by the pics it's obvious I'm no fabric pro but for the money it's all good.

Anyhoo, enough of my blabbering (probably best I don't have too many of these threads as I can sure yak on forever...., lol)

DSCN2868.jpg
    DSCN2870.jpg
    DSCN2881.jpg
    DSCN2879.jpg
    DSCN2882.jpg

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    that pretty cool but as you said the storage pockets are now useless but good job doing it yourself

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    gptoy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    Thanks.

Turns out not long after I built it I ended up getting a flat. The box was wedged in so tight it took forever to get it out of the way to get the jack out. As soon as I got home I took out some of the padding that was against the console which made it easier to remove the box now.

Also, I now have a cap so I just put all my gear back there so other than the jack I really don't use the storage cubbies anyways.

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    jackotaco9

jackotaco9 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    florida
    Vehicle:
    do u happpen to have all the measurements im think im might do mine like ure but a 12

5. Sep 8, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    gptoy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    I didn't really measure much, I used cardboard to make a template from the side, then measured my sub and made sure I had about an inch extra width both sides (which yours would be different anyways with a 12).

6. Sep 8, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    good work on the construction. I'd scrap that vinyl and use carpet though. You can stretch a single piece of carpet over that entire surface and it will look much much cleaner.

7. Nov 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    jahitch1

jahitch1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    this is exactly what i want to make, but i want to route out room so the storage under the jump seat can still be accessed

8. Dec 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    TacomaZeus

TacomaZeus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Hood
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner
    bone stock...For now
    good job man, I just got a 2010 Access Cab and thats what im looking for. Hope you dont care if you idea is hijacked!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top