1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen air intake and fan options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charged05, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mar 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Charged05

Charged05 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Charged 4.0 6SPD
    SuperCharged
    Has anybody played with air intake options on 2005 and newer Tacomas yet? if so what works?

I have heard that using a cold air intake makes the truck run like crap, not the direction I'd like to go.

Also has any body heard or tried using electric fans in place of the clutch fan for a lil xtra power?

2. Mar 17, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    The have lightweight plastic fans from stock, not worth the money,

3. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    I dont think he was thinking of a computer fan, but more along the line of an electric radiator fan.. Like the kind people install on race trucks, or on almost all 4cyl engines since the 90s. I too didnt know why newer tacomas still have a clutch fan, its old school.
    As for the intake, my truck had the TRD when I bought it, it was ok.. but I craigslisted it for $200 and bought a new K&N setup, much louder. Some might not like that, but I want to hear my engine breathe. Im betting nearly any aftermarket filter or intake kit will increase flow over the stock, double filtered, restricted intake box.

There are lots of posts about both topics already... Even some polls for voting on the best intake kits I believe.

4. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I've heard rumour the clutch fan works better on cold starts. Every lil less bit of rotating mass when Ice cold helps

5. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I'd hope he knew at least better then that....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    Charged05

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    SuperCharged
    HAHA thanks guys, yes I meant electric radiator fans to replace the stock clutch fan.

But with my supercharger and the belt routing makes it more difficult probably to instal and remove the clutch fan.

As far as the AIR intake, I was looking for options other than stock intake route from the passenger wheel weel. I've heard that putting a cold air intake cone filter makes the truck run like crap

7. Mar 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    I was curious about the intake temps, I bought a cheap Bell In/Out guage and routed the probe portion through the firewall behind the glove box and to the inside of the heat shield really close to my K&N intake and its never more than 10degrees warmer than outside. Granted it is "Spring" in Oregon.

8. Mar 19, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Charged05

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    SuperCharged
    OK thanks. The noise wont be that big of a deal with an intake or filter change, the supercharger whines anyway.

How about exhuast mods? I know a V6 will NEVER actually sound like a V8 but if I can get it as close as possible that would be awesome. I was thinking the set of headers, high flow cats, and true dual 3" exhaust back from a maganflow or similar muffler.
    I had a 90 GMC jimmy w/4.3 that I did that to and it sounded just like a V8, wonder if Tacoma will do similar

Products Discussed in

To Top