1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen brake bleed question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Jake.A, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Aug 1, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    Jake.A

Jake.A [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I'm looking to extend my rear brake lines to compensate for a lift i will be putting in soon. I did my research on how to bleed the rear brakes...this will be my first time doing it. However now i am reading something about bleeding the LSPV? Need some insight on that i tried search engines and forums with no luck. Does my truck (2014 4x4) even have that? Or is that for older models? And if so, does it have a bleed valve just like the rest? And if i am only bleeding the rear, would i bleed the LSPV before or after i bleed the two rear brakes? Any pics or threads i may have missed would be appreciated. I mostly read this for 1st gens i haven't really seen anything for late 2nd get models?

2. Aug 2, 2016 at 8:35 AM
    Jake.A

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bump

3. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:28 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    There is no LPSV on the new trucks. To bleed the brakes, just have a buddy pump the pedal several times and start with the wheel furthest away from the MC (rear passenger) and open the bleeder until pressure starts to disspiate, then close the bleeder valve. Have the brakes re-pumped and go to the rear driver, then work your way up to the front passenger, and finally front driver. Catch the fluid in a can and make sure to wash any you spill as it will eat any paint it contacts.

Jake.A[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2016 at 10:31 PM
    Jake.A

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for the help. I was also wondering what position the key needs to be in during the process? I've read on some threats that the key needs to be in the on position during the process? I think this has something to do with the VSC?

5. Aug 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    It should be in the "on" position. this will allow the brake booster to ensure the lines are fully pressed up. Not sure which model tacoma you have but the offroad have a hydraulic brake booster that need the keys to on. The vacuum boost models are a little different but key should still be set to the on position.

Jake.A[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Jake.A

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a 2014 sport, thanks for the help!

7. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Instead of starting another thread I'll add a question to this one, op hope that's ok? I just bled the brakes today and only got a few ounces of old fluid out. I bought 3 bottles of toyota fluid thinking I'd use at least 2, but i only ended up using about 3/4 of 1 bottle. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to spend more time draining fluid at each wheel?

I let each wheel drain until there were no bubbles, and went from assented rear/driver rear / pass front and ended at drivers front.

8. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Is it ok to use a vacuum hand pump over bleeder as long as key is on or do I need someone to press the pedal?

9. Aug 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5

There are two reasons to bleed.

(1) get rid of bubbles after doing some sort of maintenance that introduced them, such as replacing a caliper, master cylinder, or a brake line.

(2) replace the fluid. Here you want to pump/bleed until the fluid that comes out at the wheel is completely clear and looks new, where the old fluid will usually look a little cloudy or dirty.

(2) is an inexact science. The brake system doesn't hold a bunch of fluid, but 3/4 might not be enough depending on what a "bottle" is. IE I have bought 32 fl oz "bottles" and no brake system holds that, toyota-wise. An 8 oz bottle won't be near enough to really flush.

kingston73[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 17, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    Jake.A

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    When I bled mine I didn't use that much fluid either. As long as you don't have any more bubbles when you bleed the brakes you are fine. I also did a couple more bleed cycles even after I saw no more bubbles just to be sure. When all was done I made sure I pumped my brakes till they were at normal firmness before I started he vehicle again..I had no problems and did not notice my brake pedal feeling squishy or less firm like others have mentioned in other threads. Hope this helps

kingston73[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top