1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen DIY Big Brake KIt -OEM parts- Part #'s provided (INSTALLED)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by craigFLA, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Aug 2, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    OOHH... Sounding like there's a chance, at least! I don't stop too quickly with all this weight.

2. Aug 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Food for thought. I know that you cannot install 17" 2016 Tacoma rims on a 2016 4Runner. The calipers will rub.

3. Aug 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I agree. This mod with 16" wheels would be a dream come true. I am using Level 8 Guardians, who knows if it would work without modification.

HBMurphy likes this.
  4. Aug 4, 2016 at 10:13 AM
    4x4Taco09

4x4Taco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 BSP DC LB
    Kings, Deavers, Brute Force, Prinsu, Lights, all the stuff
    OP, so is the newer 4runner setup a better choice than the Tundra 13WL for my 2nd gen?

5. Aug 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Tundra & 2nd gen taco rotors are the same diameter. I believe the WL caliper takes a slightly larger pad than the OE taco (same pad as WH) but rotors are identical...so you'd only gain maybe 1 square inch of additional pad (not a bad thing, but IMHO not worth the effort especially when the WH calipers were actually cheaper than WL at Napa.

Rotors are about equal in price...so by spending another $100 (new larger backing plates) the WH caliper gives you both a larger pad AND larger diameter rotor.

I know the tundra rotors are the same because I originally thought upgrading to Tundra was the way to go, bought the WL calipers and tundra rotors. When I compared the Tundra rotors to my OE they were identical. I returned the rotors, and exchanged the calipers for the WH.

The Tundra upgrade is the way to go if you own a 1st gen Tacoma...but to me the lexus/4-runner is the right move with a 2nd gen.

6. Aug 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    4x4Taco09

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Well I may rebuild the WLs I have and sell them to someone on here then. I guess I'll start hunting down all the WH parts, thank you

I thought it was the 3rd gens that had basically the Tundra brakes already

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  7. Aug 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I sure would be interested in solutions for 16" wheels. I'm running 4runner limited wheels.

HBMurphy and Norton like this.
  8. Aug 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    @RobD

If I read right, are you saying that I could get by with this mod and with these wheels?

IMG_20160216_124825_3ce861a5e79bdc83a9e31471a1a070d0e6c2e64a.jpg

9. Aug 17, 2016 at 2:09 PM
    zkdawg

zkdawg Greenville Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    zach
    Mauldin, Sc
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport
    Fog light mod, JBA LT headers, drop-in k&n filter, energy bushings, tried fold topper, 2nd air filter removed, all new stereo system minus subs, plastisol the wheels.
    If I was to do this mod, I would go the extra mile and buy slotted/drilled rotors for that extra bite.
    I think then that this would be the best cheap big brake kit for he 2nd gen taco and very well could be awhile if not better then the aftermarket kits available.

This is an awesome mod write up.

Thanks for Bing a TW member.

astonb86 likes this.
  10. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    This topic has been debated since the dawn of man..that being said IMHO, having had what might be considered by some to be a fair amount of experience with both drilled and slotted rotors...no thanks. Never again.

It has been my experience that drilled rotors warp quicker than solid rotors. This is likely due to less actual surface area of metal to disapate heat. I think of it as a heat sink. On multiple vehicles, high dollar such as Brembro...same result. I even changed out the drilled set of Brembro's on my Harley for the same reason. Never again.

I spent some insane $ on the chyrogenic (or whatever) dipped slotted pro-slots for my Taco. When they warped the first time(approx. 5k miles) I pulled them and SEARCHED for someone local willing to turn slotted rotors.

Not even 5k miles later started experiencing that ever familiar steering wheel wobble when braking yet again. Removed them and threw them in the garbage where they belong.

Every front brake job I do I take the time to pull out my dial indicator. I not only use to check a rotor I suspect to be warped, but I also ALWAYS check new rotors out of the box. On more than 1 occasion I've received a warped rotor brand new..likely dropped in freight or just shitty QC..who knows. I trust when my dial indicator shows me a high/low spot..I know it's the rotor. Zero doubt.

Again, others may have had better luck or different experiences, but for me I will always and forever recommend and install solid rotors ONLY. At the very least they're typically better priced (even the quality ones) and when they eventually warp they can be machined virtually anywhere..try taking drilled or slotted rotors to Napa to have them turned! I was laughed out of the store..lol..seriously.

After about 2 months of aggressive driving in the South Florida summer heat and all is still wonderful with my set up... Would have saved SO MUCH time and $ had I figured this out sooner. If this write up saves even just one single person a fraction of the front brake headache I've experienced in the 9 years I've owned my truck..than it was sincerely worth it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  11. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    jezus.... you must drive like an ass to have these sort of braking issues. Though the big rims are not helping that cause.

I will say the larger diameter rotor / caliper setup from the 4 runners WILL NOT WORK with 2nd gen 16in rims, there just aint enough room. The brake upgrade for the 1st gen taco's / 3rd gen 4runners to the 1st gen tundra brakes were not much bigger in diameter (as stated 1st gen tundra brakes are same diameter as our 2nd gen tacos) and hence why that upgrade fit in 16in rims.

12. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Actually no...not really. I have been known to hit triple digits on the highway when traffic allows, but Miami traffic, red light to red light does take a toll.

Along with the XSP 20" wheels I've probably added 500 to 600 lbs in just sound deadening..plus stereo equipment as can be seen in my older posts. I typically have a few hundred pounds of tools/stuff in the back...it adds up and certainly makes a difference.

steveh_2007 and Crom like this.
  13. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Why have you gone through brakes so fast? I tow I'm not a brake maniac but most of my stops are from high speed and the first OEM set went 75K.

Crom likes this.
  14. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    75k..wow, that's great. Guess I'm the only 2nd gen owner having this issue..must be my driving.

Thank you for contributing.

RockinU, 4x4cajun, eherlihy and 3 others like this.
  15. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    4x4Taco09

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    DCLB, 33s and 20"s, front and rear armor, and stereo equipment. Never had any problems with mine.

Going 33s 17''s and want to do the 13WH with factory rotors, ceramic pads, and now SS brake lines, doing all of this just because, i feel like it? TacomaWorld? iMod? i don't even know anymore

16. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    So I reread everything and the way I'm understand this, I could get the 13WL caliper with larger pads. I have the 16" 4runner limited wheels, so they should fit fine. The benefit is minimal, but it's better than stock, and probably the best one can do with a 16" wheel?

Food for thought.

Thanks @craigFLA

HBMurphy likes this.
  17. Aug 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    wsurunner

wsurunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB
    I drive like an old lady (rarely get going fast enough to even need brakes!) and I struggle with the "warped rotor" problem that it appears craigFLA is having. I'm not heavy gas/heavy brake, I don't typically drive fast, and most of my driving is pretty mild, yet I had my rotors turned and pads replaced around 10k and am wrestling with the same symptoms again at 22k.

All the armchair QBs say that I'm a bad driver but they benefit from never having watched me drive or ridden with me when I do. I can't put my finger on it but there's something about the 2nd gen brake combo/environment which is contributing to "warped" rotors (for proper education, refer to this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths).

Regardless I'm going to give this a go once I'm ready to replace the current pads as there's no such thing as braking which is too good. OP thanks for the writeup and related details!

TRDSport10 and craigFLA[OP] like this.
  18. Aug 17, 2016 at 10:50 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    That's your driving habits caused by the pads exchanging extra material onto the rotor causing high and low spots. Stop jamming the brakes and getting them hot then holding the pedal to the floor while stopped (use just enough brake to not move forward) and use engine braking going down hill.

Could also be due to excess runout of the rotor due to poor torquing habits, improperly machined rotor faces, or debris on the hub/mounting face.

Like I said above.

19. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:16 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    This is why I (and many others) left TW...you spend your valueble time in an honest effort to contribute, only to have your thread jammed with criticism and insults.

One could easily find a thousand threads about the 2nd gen front brake issue, but it must be how I drive, or that I'm an idiot who can't properly seat and torque a wheel. Right?

Of course most of these posts come from individuals who didn't read the whole chain.. Like where I clearly stated I used a dial indicator to check run out on every install. Guess now I can look forward to another 10 posts about tightening lug nuts..right?

I started this thread speaking of my aggressive driving habits, never denied it. Instead I shared my solution. If you don't need it, don't like it, if it doesn't apply to you or your 3rd gen...that's great! Then move on!

Owned more than my share of vehicles in 41 years of existence and NEVER had brake issues with any other vehicle..only my 2nd gen Tacoma. Hmmm..

No more write-ups for me TW..nowhere near worth the aggravation. Going to drive to work now, with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake pedal the entire time apparently..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  20. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:29 AM
    Telkins88

Telkins88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport 4x4 Premium
    Goodyear Ultraterrain AT 265/70r17 1” front and rear lift

Products Discussed in

To Top