1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Kick Pods - Lots of Pics

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by azTRD, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    tacomarock

tacomarock Well-Known Member

Member:
    man this nice!

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    incredible job man, it really does look factory!

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    nice work dude.looks factory

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    holy FACK!
    thats a really good job man +1 rep for you man.

as for the reproducing them.. doesnt some company already make these? might run into infringement issues, if you were thinkin of this route, check into that first!

5. Feb 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    RTaylor

RTaylor Active Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Great Job!

6. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Thanks for the info, I'll give him a call. I will very likely follow your lead here. I chimed in on that previous thread with you on whether a 3-way front stage was worth doing.

I did end up doing it and have pillars with Hybrid L1Pro SEs and 3" Tang Band Bamboo paper mids along with a pair of L6s in doors now. I have no regrets about going to a 3-way front stage. No going back now! It's significantly better than it was with the tweets in the stock locations and having more midrange more on axis is an undeniable improvement. My stage is perfectly head height...but a little bright.

I can't leave well enough alone. I'd like to try an L4 so I can cross it in lower. I've never heard a single negative word about the L4 and most especially when in the kicks.

My next goal is to do what you've done with the L4's in the kicks, disconnect my 3" mids, but I want to keep my L1 ProSEs in the pillars. I can't say enough about these tweets.

Thanks for posting the pics and setting the example!

7. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    holy shit that is clean as hell!!! be careful tho, you dont want to get your foot rest stuck while driving or Toyota might get sued again :D

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    azTRD

azTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your a-pillars look great. Do you have pictures of them installed? The setup that you have is one that I considered with L3's and the L1 ProSE. I haven't heard them myself but the L1 ProSE's have been getting a lot of praise from many people. Too bad they're a limited edition... I can easily see these becoming a production model.

One of my concerns with going the a-pillar route was having them be too bright. I'm curious to know if you put a blanket or something soft over your dash (not permanent of course) if it makes the sound any softer. If so, putting a dash mat down may help... although some people don't like the look of having dash mat. Another way (I'm told) is to have your tweeters 'tuned' so that they are less bright... I'm not exactly sure how this is done, but worth looking into.

If you plan on trying the L4's in the kicks, you may want to 'consider' moving the tweeter down there as well. I'm no audio expert by any means, but I've read/been told that keeping your tweeters and midrange together is the "ideal" way to go. Although ultimately it's what sounds best to you.

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Here they are installed. It's not quite cleaned up yet...sail panels off and missing one grill, etc.

I had to re-work them to support a 3" mounted from behind. While I'm running the TB Bamboos for now, I used a blown L3 as a basis for the mounts. My thought was that if this ends up being the best setup, I can use the upcoming L3Pros as drop in replacements. :)

As for reducing the brightness, I still have a lot of experimenting to do. I'm using a BitOne to control everything, so I can easily tone them down by levels and EQing. I just haven't spent enough time on it. In any case, the system does sound far better than it ever has just the way it sits now. The details in the highs and stage height are excellent.

Nevertheless, I still have to know how a set of L4s in the kicks and the L1ProSEs either next to them or in sail panels, etc would compare before I'm done. Too bad you're not located closer so we could compare.

My_Pillars1Medium_cc8a9afeb2b9f7922c6a8ca5f5450057ae05bad3.jpg
    My_Pillars2Medium_45f2e4fefc2da0f359c82dee032c7fe7fbc53a05.jpg

10. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    WOW!!!! Your a-pillars look freak'n awesome... I would love to hear that setup. I may be able to help you out with trying the L4's in your kicks... I'll send you a PM with some details.

11. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    damn good job

12. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Great work! Looks super clean and professionally done.
    Rep for you!

13. Feb 19, 2010 at 3:06 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
  14. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    any pics of the passenger side as well?
    They look great!

15. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I've had a couple of people request some additional photos. I'll post up the passenger side as well, but it won't be until the weekend. I removed the bug deflector from my truck, which left 3 big chips in the paint... so it's currently in the shop getting fixed.

16. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Broke

Broke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 L/B Black Sand Pearl TRD Sport
    Sun Roof, Leather, Clear Bra, Tint, TRD Exhaust, Scratch Film Door Handles
    Great job nice paint color match but they make those kick panels every day

17. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Wow damn fine job

18. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    WOW! Thats Epic. looks awesome

19. May 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Scott,

Very nice work. 1 question, whats the actual SEM color you used for the gray? It appears to be a very close match to the OE color.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

20. May 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    azTRD

Member:
    I'm not sure if I still have the paint can... I'll check when I get home and repost with the color code if I have it. If you live near an auto paint shop that carries SEM, they will have an SEM color palette that you can bring out to your truck and match the interior plastic. It will be very obvious which one matches best.

I was amazed at how well it matched. One thing I noticed is that you really need to make sure the paint is mixed well... shake the can for like 5 min before painting. The paint shop I got mine from offered to put it into a paint shaker for me... I didn't take them up on it and wished that I had.

Products Discussed in

To Top