1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by summerboy1958, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    summerboy1958

summerboy1958 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    I'm financially at a point where I can afford a truck again. I sold my 01 Taco 2 years ago for a Forester. I needed 4 doors for dogs/kids/grand kids, etc. I drive about 15k miles a year (+80% highway). About 6 or 7 times a year, I cut and haul firewood for personal use. I take my dogs out for walks in the nearby fields and drive on dirt roads to get there, washboard, nothing real bad. I plan on using it on the beaches in Delaware (taking kids and grand kids for fishing and sun) about once a month or so. I don't do any real off road. While I never say never, I don't have any plans to lift the truck. I want to get the best gas mileage that I can (for a truck) on my commute to work (55 miles a day)

I was planning on a 1st gen double cab this time around, but am now leaning towards a 4x4 05 or 06 DC. While there is only 1 version of the 1st gen DC, it's more like Baskin Robbins for the 2nd gen. I'm just not sure what package I should be looking for. I want an SR5 for the convenience items and would love to get the 6500 pound factory tow package (I may have boat in my future, not now, but before I sell this truck).

I've read a lot of threads but still have questions. After reading consumer guide, it seems to me that, besides the cosmetic differences and wheel/tires, the real difference between the TRD Offroad and TRD Sport are the LSD and the suspension. I really don't know the difference between the two suspensions (sport v offroad). Comments? Is one or the other better for my wood hauling application? On my 1st gen, I installed large rubber stops (can't remember the name) because it would bottom out under load. I have read that there is still a problem with the 2nd gen's. Is that prevelent? Does it make a difference if I got a long bed vs short bed? I would prefer the short bed. I would guess it get's better gas mileage with less weight to haul around.

I regularly used the rear locker in 1st gen, particularly when hauling trees out of brush to be cut up and in the deep snow. And I would expect that it would be nice to have on the beach. I've never had a LSD. Any thoughts on how the LSD would workout in these two situation?

I've seen threads on the problems with the front differential and CV joints. Does this only happen when the truck is lifted? Does it occur in a large percentage of trucks?

Buying used, I always take my vehicles to a dealer to be inspected (I ask that the do the evaluation they do on trade in when they decide if they are going to keep them), but I would like to be able to screen my choices so that I take a good truck to a dealer as I have to pay for that. Where are the potential weak spots if a truck hasn't been well maintained (for example, on the forester it is wheel bearings and head gaskets).

I'm sure there are more question that I should be asking, but this getting to be a short story instead of a thread, sorry for the length.

Any and all input is welcome!!!

2. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    the suspension on the sport and OR are the same bilsteins, the OR has an E-locker and the sport will either have an open diff or an LSD, if you're going to be hauling a lot of stuff, maybe the long bed would be more suited to you, but i mean if you'd prefer the short bed, just get a trailer for the wood, also i think the locker would perform better in deep snow than an lsd, just my .02

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    summerboy1958

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    While mowing the lawn, I thought of 2 more questions.

I love manual transmissions, I've only driven 1 that wasn't. I read in ... road and track or a mag like that, that the transmission wasn't hydraulic anymore, that it was cable. They also said that on the 6 speed that they were testing, the engine stayed at higher revs even when the clutch was pushed. Anyone have similar problems. I could probably live with the auto in the 2nd gen as it is a 5 speed. Also, anyone know why the EPA estimate for the manual is lower than the auto?

I skipped over the non-TRD suspensions. Any thoughts on how they would do in my service?

Thanks again.

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Non hydraulic clutch in this day and age? They must be on something because I haven't seen a non hydraulic clutch on any of these newer rigs. I have the 5 speed manual with the 2.7, but my RPMs drop when I push the clutch in. And my fuel ratings are higher than the auto, not sure why that isn't the same for the V6.

5. Jul 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    summerboy1958

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    BUMP? anyone else?

Products Discussed in

To Top