1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen slipping in the rain

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FastPace, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jan 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM
    FastPace

FastPace [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    Hey guys, I have a 2015 double cab sport.. I am currently running Toyo at2s underneath my truck. It's been raining decent in California here, so I finally get a chance to see how these Toyos are.

I notice that during some turns, my truck tends to slip or have the tail swing out a bit.. I am not going fast either. I wanted to test it at around 50mph (empty lot).

There are a few other instances where my truck tends to slip as well. At first I was really confident in this truck in the rain, but now I am a little weary and feel a bit unsafe. Is it me, the driver?

I know, I am not reckless and am putting anyone else in harm. On the street with people around, I drive extra safe. I just wanted to know what this truck is capable of.

2. Jan 20, 2017 at 1:01 AM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Pic of tread depth?
    What suspension mods have you done?
    What tire pressure is being run?

Remember, the rear of these trucks is light.

MadDaddy likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    Just take it easy in the rain. When it's raining, i take gently around turns or just be more cautious.

4. Jan 20, 2017 at 1:30 AM
    Caltech90

Caltech90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    My regular cab was doing the same thing with my old tires. I just put on a new set and haven't had a problem since. I know my truck is a lot lighter than yours but, worn out tires + rain = no good.

5. Jan 20, 2017 at 1:32 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    AT tires are NOT rain tires...and summer time heat tends to bake the rain stickiness out of tires also. Many in my area have gone from the AT type tires to the Michelin MS/2 with excellent results on everything but mud and deep snow.

Howard

stbear, Mush Mouse and MadDaddy like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2017 at 1:38 AM
    kickasssloth

kickasssloth The Texan from Australia

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver DCLB TRD Sport
    Not surprising really... It's a decently long vehicle with a very light rear end, slightly top heavy, you've got hard AT tires and it's wet...

It's going to slide a little.

Just go slow and take it easy. Remember too if it's cold you're just going to have even less traction. Personally I like to slide and spin the wheels for a couple of corners/stop lights on cold wet mornings when safe (I'm a very experienced driver/racer) and it makes a decent difference to get heat in the tires, but I DONT recomend that for everyone. Just note that it effects things.

If you'd feel more confident, try taking an advance driving course or something similar.

2nd gens (mine at least) handle very well and are very controlable even when they do let go, it's not going to let you down if you know how to handle it. :)

wagerhope, TegoTaco and MadDaddy like this.
  7. Jan 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    JWROSE4

JWROSE4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Work In Progress
    I have the AT2's also. Mine does the same in the rain. They seem to do alot better in mud and I dont know about snow yet, but Im told they do great. We shall see if the snow ever decides to hit us this year.

8. Jan 20, 2017 at 2:43 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I have 265/75/16 Toyo AT2s, (LT with the deeper tread depth), and I will also slip and slide if it's just heavily started to rain. Key is just take it easy when you accelerate from a stop or a turn, and give yourself adequate room to turn into traffic. If you just baby the gas pedal you won't slip at all.

Driving at speed in the rain on these tires has been no issue for me though.

EDIT: I should rephrase based on rereading the OP. On my Toyos I've never experienced any sort of tail end swing or anything crazy. ONLY slippage on acceleration from green lights and that is 100% my driving style causing it. If I chill and take it nice and easy off the get go theres no slippage. The tires have been great IMO.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    MadDaddy likes this.
  9. Jan 20, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Its the tires. I had duratracs that were absolutely horrible in the rain. It was like driving on ice when the roads were wet with those tires. I finally got rid of them and got falken wildpeaks. They are the complete opposite on wet roads. They stick great.

10. Jan 20, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    I hated driving the truck in the rain, until I got KO2's.

My only other experience was with the Dunflops tho and we all know how well those handle :facepalm:

Sterling_vH111 likes this.
  11. Jan 20, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    Colt4587

Colt4587 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colt
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red Tacoma TRD Sport
    That's odd, I just got some duratracs awhile back and they have been pretty good in the rain for me.

I did a lot of research before I bought them, it seems that everyone either loves them, or hates them.

12. Jan 20, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    wagerhope

wagerhope 2000 Landcruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2000 Landcruiser
    I have the same tires and they're fine for me. Throw some weight in the back if it's problematic.

13. Jan 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    They were good for about the first 15-20k miles. After that they were horrible. Given that the tread will last about 60k miles, I only got about a 1/3 of usable life out of them.

14. Jan 20, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    Slow the f*ck down in inclement weather, maybe?

Never fails that when it rains in the Phoenix area you hear sirens within 20 minutes because people just fail to realize that asphalt isn't the same surface wet as it is dry.

I grew up on the Oregon Coast and it rains... ALL THE TIME. Rear wheel drive vehicles with bald tires + driving per the conditions = staying in control.

digitaLbraVo and TegoTaco like this.
  15. Jan 20, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    Nate-O

Nate-O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I have the Hankook Dynapro ATm's and I absolutely hate them in the rain. They scared the hell out of me the other day when trying to merge onto the interstate. Just got to slow down more I guess.:notsure:

digitaLbraVo likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    TurtleTruckTraveler

TurtleTruckTraveler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2002 White Extra Cab V6 4x4 TRD w/ Custom aluminum cabover shell
    I have Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx's now and do well enough on wet pavement, but they aren't a true AT tire, more hybrid AT/MT tread. I had the Michelin LTX M/S2 on before and would say it is a great tire on wet pavement. Also excelled at all conditions on road and highway - wet, standing water, icy, snow, dry. I burried a 1" screw in the outer portion of the tread at some point and didn't have any leaks from that luckily. They also were surprisingly functional at speed on dirt roads, however they sucked at loose beach sand even when aired down and didn't inspire any sort of confidence in mud or even wet dirt. They did last over 60k mi and probably had another 10k if I hadn't neglected to get an alignment after installing an ARB bumper. Brought the front end down and I wore the inner edge of the tread away up front. Would recommend the michelins if you mostly stick to roads especially if you do a fair amount of time in seasonal wet/snow/ice road conditions.

17. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I was recently wondering the same thing. I have an F250 and my Taco. Both with brand new Firestone Destination A/Ts.

I find in the rain I slip in the Tacoma pretty easy. I don't have the same issue in the Ford which leads me to believe its not weight or the tire.

I was wondering if its the brakes? Do modern day brakes allow for rolling stops? I feel like Toyota brakes are more touchy in the rain/moisture. I have noticed this in the Tacoma but also family members Highlander and Rav 4. Wondering if the brakes are clamping too hard too soon causing a slide rather than rolling stop????

18. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    You have all terrain tires which are notably horrible in the rain. Get road tires or be gentle. You're experiencing a normal side-effect of taking a vehicle away from factory spec.

19. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    Slipping in the rain may improve your drifting skills.

digitaLbraVo likes this.
  20. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    I have the KO2's and the only time the rear end breaks loose on me is when I try to drive the truck aggressively around turns or from a stop.

Sterling_vH111 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top