1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen Steering Wheel Vibe/Bearings? Confusion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Russellstiltskin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jan 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin [OP] Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    So, I'm looking at all the threads On this topic and can't seem to find recent posts. My '09 just out of the blue started getting some serious vibration in the steering wheel between 30-50mph. NOW, I've seen the discussion about difference between 2WD and 4HI, one of them of which you feel the vibe. The difference with mine is that it's Alaska, so it's in 4HI more than 2WD this time of year, and the vibration was first noticed in 4HI. Switch to 2WD, and it feels virtually the same amount of vibe. Now, my fiancé's Audi has been garage bound due to her recent accident, so she's been driving my Tacoma to/from work (about 16miles r/t each day) for the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'm confident it started this past week though, because I had driven it Saturday but don't recall noticing it. It's been consistently below zero ferenheit and haven't tried listening out the window for noises, and really don't hear anything inside, aside from the vibration itself. Long story short, if the tell tale signs of whether it's bearing is that it goes away in 4WD, I have to assume my situation is different. Today I've got the ability to take the truck for a few spins and really look in to it. Any hints what it could be? I'm thinking maybe a wheel bearing since I'm getting it in both 2 and 4? Looked at a lot of threads, but I couldn't find anyone feeling it in 4WD. Thanks. By the way, miles are 48K, 2.5 front lift installed over a year ago and have never had an issue.

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin [OP] Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    Can't seem to find a delete button for this thread. I'm retarded. Checked tires and pressures were all out of whack. Adjusted them and now no vibe.

Products Discussed in

To Top