1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Supercharger rebuild kit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by imorlock, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Nov 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM
    imorlock

imorlock [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Gold Hill, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4cyl. 4x4
    What's up everyone!

This isn't a post for a taco, but instead this time for my 2000 4Runner. I did just buy a 2012 Taco though, so I will be rejoining the fun here very soon. This time I need info for the other truck.

So, it's a 200 4Runner with a 2nd Gen (Black) TRD Supercharger installed that is starting to whine a little. I hear that the parts are not in production before, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the rebuild kit is, and where to get it?

Thanks!

2. Nov 16, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
  3. Oct 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Hot Tacoma Blown Well-Known Member

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    I used The High Speed Lab..Embree specialty machine...Great people!,,,,

4. Mar 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Just ordered a nosedrive rebuild kit from The High Speed Lab. It was great to have someone who knows all the parts assemble the kit.

mattgecko likes this.
  5. Mar 5, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I'm pretty sure superchargers are supposed to 'whine' haha

Do you mean 'rattling'? Usually when they're in need of a rebuild they will start to rattle obnoxiously loud at idle and while driving....I think TRD recommends rebuilding them every 100k or so depending on how hard it's run.

tacomakid96 and Reign808 like this.
  6. Mar 5, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    The whine has transitioned into what is almost a rattle over the last couple of months. It smooths out when the engine warms up but I'm not pushing it until I rebuild the nose.

eon_blue likes this.
  7. Mar 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Its normal for them to have a rattle at idle especially if the hood is up, but you'll know when it's not normal because it gets really loud and you can hear it over the road noise when driving...at least that's what I've heard/seen on youtube videos where someone has an old supercharger that needs rebuilt. Or, just going by mileage is a good indicator...if you have around 100k on it then it's probably time to look into rebuilding it.

8. Mar 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    I'm over 200k so probably way overdue. I'll try to remember to take a video/audio recording of the sound. It's starting to sound sort like a diesel at idle.

tacomakid96 and eon_blue like this.
  9. Mar 5, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    yeah it's definitely time to rebuild haha. Do you change out the oil in the nosecone at regular intervals? I think TRD recommends every 50k or something like that but I change mine out every 25k with GM supercharger oil.

10. Mar 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Just follow the rebuild procedure outlined in the sticky at the top of this page. If you're not too much of a hamfist, it's easy-peasy and can be done on the cheap.

11. Mar 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Can I rebuild the nose drive without pulling the rest of the SC?
    I have the kit coming Monday so I'll read the write-up.

12. Mar 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    I am almost 100% certain you can. I've got a gen 1 (grey) on my 2000 Tacoma that I've rebuilt. I know the nose cone is different from the 2nd gen (black) charger, but believe they bolt up to the housing the same way. I drained the oil, removed the belt, put a towel under the nose cone to catch remaining oil, then pulled all the bolts and removed the nose cone. Almost took longer to type it.

And FYI...Magnuson still supports and has parts for the black 2nd gen chargers; it's the grey 1st gens that certain parts (nose cone shaft, nose cone housing, etc) that are getting scarce for.

Products Discussed in

To Top