1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2TR-FE Performance Thread

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by BassAckwards, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Dec 27, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
  2. Dec 27, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
  3. Dec 30, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Installed an AEM 340LPH black top pump today. Confirmed it's okay to run this on the 2.7L with the stock fuel pressure regulator, even if you're N/A still, mine is running and idling like normal.

pwrslide2 and Torspd like this.
  4. Jan 2, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Kavik

Kavik Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    Great list, keep it up

BassAckwards[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 3, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Verified today that the Gates K071102 belt for the URD SC kit can be ordered at O'Reilly's auto parts for 24.75 + shipping. Mine came out to about 38 bucks after tax and freight. Still cheaper than buying through URD for 60 bucks plus shipping. I thought it was ridiculous that URD stated that you could only buy the belt for their 2.7L SC kit from them, no one else. It was a special order at o'reillys, should be here in 7-14 days

You can also buy a Gates fleetrunner in the 8-rib variety and cut it down to fit. More info for alternate URD SC belt options in the OP. The gates k071102 was the ONLY 7rib belt i could find in that length.. All the others were the 8 rib flavor, but there were some better options. There was at one point an RPM belt in the right length with 8 ribs, but it looks like it has been discontinued..

buyobuyo and whatstcp like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    Thanks for the mention!

To be clear we are only able to support the 2nd gen 2TR :)

Torspd, whatstcp and BassAckwards[OP] like this.
  7. Jan 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Added that note to the OP! Thanks for catching that. I remember reading that somewhere and forgot to include it:cheers:

8. Jan 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    whatstcp likes this.
  9. Jan 7, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Heard back from URD. It's a catless midpipe with an extra port for an aftermarket AFR gauge. Pic below

IMG_6670.jpg

buyobuyo and MY50cal like this.
  10. Jan 26, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    A huge thanks goes out to @JustDSM for helping me dial my truck in with the MAPECU3 and make sure everything is running right. He has been awesome to work with and extremely helpful.

We did some logging on the 2TR with my HPtuners MPVI2 and we were able to see many of the PIDs that were on the v6. Unfortunately not all of them are in there yet, but there is plenty to be able to keep an eye on things and get an idea as to how the truck is running. Hopefully HPtuners will support the little 4 banger in the near future, and we can overcome some of these tuning barriers so we can bring on the real performance. Some throttle mapping and a rev hang delete would be excellent in these little trucks. Although I've noticed after swapping to 5.29s that I don't have the 4-5 shift rev hang hardly ever anymore. Not sure if that rev hang is based on engine load before you shift, but the revs drop like normal now so that is a big plus, because that drove me crazy.

Overall truck seems to be running good, and saw a max MAF of 181 g/s, which I think is pretty respectable for the stage 1 URD s/c setup with cats and stock catback. Only other mods are the aFe dry drop in filter, and an LCE header. Drivability is wayyy better than stock, the truck now just cruises up hills in 4th that I used to have to downshift into 3rd on. On the highway it is truly a pleasure to drive minus the really shitty gas mileage due to the short gears with 33s. I've never been happier with this thing though, it really is a whole different truck now, wish I would've done this a long time ago

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  11. Jan 30, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Do you have the AFR control module on the MAP-ECU3?

If so are you still using OEM injectors and a 5th injector, or larger primaries?

12. Jan 30, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Yes sir i do have the AFR module wired in. Using the OEM injectors and the 61lb 5th that came with the URD kit and its boost referenced.

13. Jan 30, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I think its supposed to be boost referenced. The urd instructions didnt mention doing that, but they left a lot to be desired. I read in the 2TR sc thread that it was supposed to be boost referenced and they provided a short vacuum hose to go from the driver side charge pipe to the FPR so thats what i went with.

14. Jan 30, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Is that boost referencing just the 5th, or the whole fuel system? I cannot remember.

15. Jan 30, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Regardless, I am glad y'all got it running more fluidly.

My friend and I had to comb through his map. It was all out of wack. Didn't have the AFR module, so we could only really tune the 5th injector. Added a 800cc, since he increased pulley size. Ran really strong too.

16. Jan 30, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I believe that would boost reference the entire system.. but i cant say with 100% certainty as im not an expert on how that works. I do know the FPR is hooked up to the intake piping so i think it would increase pressure across the board

Was he having any drivability issues with his? Mine makes some interesting noises above 3500 rpms, but i think its just my clutch rattling and being noisy. Fairly sure i confirmed this this past weekend by revving it up some and sticking my head up under the truck. Made the same noises and sounded like it was coming from the bell housing on the trans. Did your friends make any strange noises? I thought mine was knocking at first but after logging with Justin and having him look at it, that didnt appear to be the case.. thats when i started to think the clutch was being noisy. Also which size pulley was he running the 80mm? Im on the 85mm right now

17. Jan 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Oh ok. To the FPR. Where was my head? Yup, the whole system.

His makes a noise too. Going to swap in his new clutch this weekend.

The 80mm is what he has.

With the LCE header, and full 2.5" custom free flowing exhaust, by myself, it was around 9+ psi. I think that is where it was.

18. Jan 30, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Nice, keep me posted on how that goes. Which clutch are yall installing?

Is the truck pretty loud? Id love to do an exhaust on mine but i daily it and it has 5.29s so on the hwy something loud would especially suck. I am thinking about a more free flowing midpipe and just keeping the stock catback.

9psi sounds about right with a free flowing exhaust. i think i remember reading somewhere peak on the stage 2 is 10.5 and peak on stage 1 is around 8.

19. Jan 31, 2020 at 3:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    The exhaust is 2.5". Originally it was a catback only. The muffler that came with his catback kit mated well with the cat, for sound reduction and a good growl. Once the cat was gone, and everything was opened up to 2.5", that muffler was no longer enough. We added in a 2.5" Vibrant Resonator as well. The muffler in my opinion still needs to be upgraded to tone it down more.

It is loud? It certainly can be under a heavy foot. Could it be more refined? Absolutely with a better non-straight through, and larger overall muffler.

Cannot remember if it was a Banks or AFe catback.

20. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:18 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    That sounds a lot like my LCE catback. It has a straight through Magnaflow muffler, and it would give me a headache after 60-90 minutes of highway driving. That's with the factory cat in place. I had a 12" long Vibrant resonator put in, and now I can drive as long as I want. It's still fairly loud, so the radio gets cranked up to hear it.

To Top