1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2TR-FE used oil analysis

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Sep1911, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Jun 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    Just a little something I thought I'd share with you guys, I was personally really surprised by the results. I think for most of us car enthusiasts we want to take care of our vehicles the best way possible. I used to buy expensive ass oil thinking it's the best thing I can do for my car and that I was getting a significantly better product. I was doing $60-70 oil changes, and thats what I was paying for the material as I do my own oil changes. I started reading about oil on a website called bobistheoilguy and I learned a lot, and I eventually came to the realization that for the most part for dailying vehicles oils are all the same hence manufacturers never give you direct comparisons or actual numbers, rather just meaningless ways of rating things with no real way of interpreting it. And for all we know the difference between the bar graphs on the back of the bottle could be 0.000001% Anyways, use oils with the latest API & ILSAC rating, toyota goes by ILSAC, but you cant go wrong with either as long as it's the latest one it's probably good for both even if it doesnt say it.

I recently switched from the walmart stuff to the costco brand oil. They're both made by the same company. Cost per quart for the costco oil is a little better hence the switch. Between that and buying OEM filters in bulk(usually 10 at a time) my oil changes are down to $13.58. Save your money for mods. Btw, I dont drive like a grandpa, I'll redline here and there trying to get on the highway, it is a 2tr afterall.

16 TACOMA-200228.jpg

JGO, EdgemanVA, 05Taco4x4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:56 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    Yep, I switched to Kirkland full synthetic oil, since 5 quarts is only $12.50. Also buy Toyota (branded) filters in bulk.

Since oil and filters are so cost effective, I change it every 5K miles.

3. Jun 15, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    Tacotruck7

Tacotruck7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner Dbl Cab 2.7L
    Is it worth it to go full synth on a 3rz with 215k? I usually just take mine to my local shop because disposing of the oil is a pain in the ass where I'm at and changes are only $30-40. It's only conventional though.

Products Discussed in

To Top