1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Redneck Ron, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'll let you know after this winter is over. I got some continental ExtremeWinterContact tires for my truck.

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    This.
    Wide tires kill in snow and ice.

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya my 255/85R16's KM2's are kicking ass in the snow. I am going to get them siped to help with ice and I'll be set.

4. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    I know the 2WDs are much less expensive - but if you drive even occasionally in the snow - pop for the 4WD. I don't do any kind of off roading - but just based on driving in the snow the 4WD is worth it. We had our first significant snow here in mid-Missouri today - only got about an inch or so - but it hit right at morning commute time and it got packed down pretty good. The only people I saw having problems were 2WD trucks and SUVs. People in front wheel drive cars/vans were doing fine. I saw people in 2WD trucks and SUVs spinning sideways halfway up some exit ramps - holy shit are you kidding me. I know if you get some weight in the back and some decent snow tires you can get by - but around here you never know when it will snow - for about 3 months you could get 2 inches or 2 feet dropped on you at any time. You just flip that knob to 4HI and you got no problem - except for all the other people who can't. Best money I ever spent.

5. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    i also have a base model 2wd, in all honesty its a little trooper it gets through most things i wouldn't expect it to. we recently had a little winter storm from through and i went on an adventure to the foothills (house at the base of the mountain where i live) they got a few inches on snow and i made it up some pretty steep inclines. i eventually turned around before my luck ran out haha.

if i get in a though spot where i get stuck or can't get traction i just pop in low (i have an auto) and use the poor mans locker i put on my parking break then release it slowly while giving it gas till i have that little moment where i get enough traction to start moving.

other than using low and my lame locker all you can really do is just drive slow take your time and add some weight int he bed if need be and also maybe look into a locker that will help out a lot. good luck!!

6. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Poor mans locker? :confused:

7. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    haha like i said its when i use my parking break, in gauge it then slowly release it while i give it gas it helps to get traction sometimes

8. Dec 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Blackbear

Blackbear Hardtooree Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blk SR5 2.7 4X4 5 spd ACab
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    Have owned three 2WD pickups. Have since owned three 4WD pickups. I'll never go back to a 2WD again.

Look up the definition of 'Thiscompletelysucks!' in the dictionary...you'll find a picture of a 2WD truck in Maine during winter.

9. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    ^^^^ wish I bought a 4wd. Last year got stuck twice (both in a very steep incline tring to get into my parking lot at work. Slid down twice and got stuck at the bottom, locker didnt get me out, had to get a push back to the street. Parkd on the side of the road (not cleared) had some more dificulty getting out. This was in over a ft of snow.

Otherwise ive never had a problem driving on compact snow roads/icy roads. Been stuck in mud before too, have to stay away from the wet stuff with a 2wd. Unless ive stopped or slowed down i havent been stuck.

10. Dec 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs

this is my second winter with those tires, bit improvement over the stocks

Products Discussed in

To Top