1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd rear springs replacement= increased cargo

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by saltbranch, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    On my 96' 2wd I have a 3 spring(i think 3) leaf pack on the rear. I want to put a set of heavier springs in back. Are the 4x4 springs heavier duty? Will 4x4 rear leaf springs fit a 2wd? I looking for inexpensive way to add spring capacity, before I go off and buy progressive overload springs etc.
    Right now I put in 500lbs of feed for cattle in back,springs are inverted and truck will bottom out on rough roads.

2. Jul 4, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    You have a '96 with 233k miles on it already.500lbs inverts your springs....Your spring packs are shot.You should replace them.Check out a junk yard or pick a part.

3. Jul 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    I agree that your OEM springs are obviously 'shot' ...

... But swapping to 4X4 leafs won't help (much).

Putting 4X4 (leaf-over) leafs onto a 5-lug (leaf-under) setup will *lower* your rear by 1 - 2".

In any case - the spec payloads for a 4X4 are approximately the same as for your 5-lug mini. In other words - the 4X4 springs aren't designed for a heavier load than the ones you already have.

4. Jul 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    saltbranch

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    I guess I should have stated the springs are shot, figured that was gimme. Good to know the 4x4 springs wont help.

5. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The springs aren't the only thing that determines the payload....Your springs being old and beat doesn't help...but the rated capacity for the truck is based on frame and axle construction, braking ability, etc etc....You can't just slap different springs in and expect to carry 1000lbs more than before.

6. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    saltbranch

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    Good point brunes, cargo capacity is subject to the GVWR of the vehicle minus empty weight and then you must consider front axle and rear axle weight ratings by factory and you cant forget the tire weight rating capacity.

Products Discussed in

To Top