1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd vs 4wd leaf springs 1st gen tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Maxhayward, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sep 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab 2wd 5-lug
    Hello all, my 2wd 95 taco has cracked leaf springs. As I search online the obvious question 2 or 4 wd comes up. Does anyone out here know if there is actually a difference in the two? They look the same in pictures, I ask because I have found a set for 4wd trucks that are actually heavier duty and the price is right.

2. Sep 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    I replaced my kid's 2000 PreRunner leafs with Dorman's and they suck. I have to spray them down with WD40 every other week or they squeak and pop like you can't believe. Thought they'd help with axle wrap but they didn't make a bit of difference.

3. Sep 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    They'll work but I think you have to use different U bolts. May be wrong about that. Also remember if your getting them from a truck made after 98, the springs are longer.

If I remember right, they have a heavier spring rate but still lower the rear 3/4".

By 2WD, you mean 5 lug? because Prerunners are the same. Just get the right length.

5 lug you going from AXLE OVER spring to SPRING OVER axle, design wise hence the difference in ride height. You wouldn't be actually moving your placement.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. Sep 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    the 4wd/PreRunner springs are stiffer and usually if you use them you will want to remove a leaf to get a better ride quality

WD40 isn't a lubricant (unless you are using their specific lubricant variant), just helps keep water at bay for a short time. try using a lithium product or if you can get the axle floating enough to put in a molybdenum grease.

just to clarify, as I think you are on the right track, just for me the wording arrangement was confusing.

95-97 are different lengths than 98-04.

you can use 6-lug 4wd/PreRunner springs (Spring Over Axle) on the 5-lug 2wd (Spring Under Axle) but they will be stiff and a little higher than stock. Removing a leaf helps.

Bulldogs129 and Dalandser like this.
  5. Sep 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    Maybe he'll come back and provide more info.

6. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, it is a 5 lug truck...
    I'm willing to have a little stiffer ride, I just want some extra load capacity. I end up hauling some heavy stuff with my little taco she can do it but the springs can't. This will be my third set in 8 yrs, which is why I want to upgrade. I'm thinking maybe I'll just go back stock springs with the air spring upgrade to go between the frame and the axle.
    Anybody been in this situation before? How did you handle it if so?

7. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
  8. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, thanks frizzman!
    That was what I needed. I couldn't tell by the way these springs are described if they were one going to fit and two actually better springs capacity wise.
    I'm going to get the oem spec leafs and do the air bag upgrade for when I am hauling stuff.
    It's funny she can haul a couple engines and a bunch of other car parts but you can tell the suspension is really unhappy back there!! It actually rides nice tho, lol.
    This one has been in the family since new 236xxx in the clock and still ticking, I want to keep this old truck going as long as I can so I'm willing to do the upgrades.

9. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    Upgraded bumpstops would prob. do you some good also but may be just as expensive as bags.
    I looked on customtacos.com, when they rec'd using 4wd springs on 5 lugs it's removing a middle spring to ease the stiffness and they get 3/4" lower height yet still stiffer than stock.

If your loaded a lot, I'd still do the bigger leaf pack (4wd) and put up with the rear in the air.

Your stock 5 lugs are what 2 springs + overload? You WILL find old unbroken springs easier when you look for 4WD's no matter your location. I have a set sitting in my garage. (but for '98+) This is why it's a good idea to have your location in your info. Everytime you post that you may want something, someone may have 1 nearby.
    If you still bottom it out loaded then I'd add one of the other additions.

It is kind of funny, I see 5 luggers worked wayyy harder than any 4WD I've come across.

10. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    You guessed right it's 2/1 leafs. They do ok I don't believe I snapped them in just one haul but a slow decay over time. I've remodeled houses and rebuild other vehicles out of the back of this thing.
    Out of curiosity, do you know how much higher the back would be with the 4wd springs. I like her low it's easier to load/unload but am willing to compromise for longevity..

11. Sep 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    I doubt it's much. The 5 lug site says they remove 1 leaf to lower their vehicles. Figure the center to center of an axle being over or under the spring to be 4"-5" or so.

Whatever the amount is add the bigger wheels and taller tires avail. on 4WD's and I bet springs themselves are close.
    I read that the arch unloaded is actually greater on 5 lug springs, ours are designed to be flatter from factory.

And yes, they certainly do decay. I do see quite a few 1st gens used by landscapers with busted springs. I've offered mine to them on 2 occasions but they wanted them installed for the 100 bucks I've asked for them. So they still sit. I may need them back before I can unload (ha) them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  12. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool, thanks for the help guys!
    What 5 lug site are you talking about Crux?

13. Sep 20, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    CustomTacos.com

They're more into lowered trucks there but have a section dedicated to 6 lug.
    Kind of opposite of this site. A lot slower site to load than this one, I've noticed.

14. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:17 AM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    Oh yea I've checked that site out before. Thanks for the reply!

15. Oct 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Maxhayward

Maxhayward [OP] Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    Well fellas I gotta send out a big thank you for the input!
    I've installed the 4wd 4leaf springs on my 2wd. They bolted up no problem it lifted the back end up some, hard to say how much tho from the factory setup because my old leafs were so worn out.
    I went ahead and installed an air spring kit too, I can't wait to load my truck up and see how she handles with weight. She feels excellent right now hasnt felt this good in a while!

Any how thanks again guys it has been greatly appreciated!

16. Oct 1, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD

Products Discussed in

To Top