1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD W/ BFG A/T in snow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NraFan, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    NraFan

NraFan [OP] Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Hey folks, I need some help here. I have a 2wd DC TRD OR with BFG A/T tires. I travel across country all the time, but usually in good weather. I am heading back to Kentucky again this year but in December. There is a good chance I will encounter some snow along the way. Now here in SoCal, I dont have this problem. What I am wondering is this. If I do encounter some snow along the way, will my truck handle it ok. I have my tools in the back, so there is some decent weight. 90% of the driving is on the highway. What should I do to prepare for the weather. Chains? Are my tires decent enough to not have to worry? Any help or info you guys could provide will be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    yep, you're screwed. Seriously though, bring some chains for sure. Snow is one thing, ice is another. I learned this with my 4x4 on 37" Baja Claws pulling a trailer down a long icy hill, couldn't pull the trailer back up....besides, by not having them on hand, means they can turn you around if you don't have them with you. (if the CHP is checking)

3. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Are the cable chains the way to go now? I have never had to buy/use chains.

4. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Being that I'm from CA, I'd wait to hear some input from others...I have no idea. The Ranger (not Ford) had chains on his truck with the plow on front.

5. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Hope some Easterners are reading. Maybe they can help!

6. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Take your time and you will OK. Grab some chains in case you run into ice. Don't get cocky and try to rush in the snow, bad things will happen.

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    you're off to a start with the bfg at's. i had those on my last truck and they were awesome in the snow. i have zero experience with chain though so i can't help you out there. the best piece of advice i can give for driving on snow/ice is just flat out take your time. good luck on you trip.

8. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    make sure your tire chains clear the UCA..not much room on our trucks.

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I'm located in vegas but constantly driving to Utah and California to snowboard during the winter...granted I still have the stock mud/snow tires that my '06 TRD OR came with...

I haven't had problems with the stock tires and staying in 2wd on the highway driving in the snow...when I am driving on city streets I use my 4x4 just for reassurance...

but I have never been pulled over in california or utah for not having or using chains...some areas on the highway don't allow you to use chains in utah and california...

10. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    hmm i encountered some snow last january in my prerunner but i didnt have my bfgs yet, i had the stock dunlops. my truck was completly worthless.

11. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    CHP will let you go if you're in a 4WD vehicle, otherwise with a 2WD you NEED chains regardless of tire type. ran into this a few times going up to big bear (in my old 'bitchin' camaro)
    just take your time and remember the chains only help your drive wheels get traction, they do not help you steer better. good luck

12. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    the Dunflops are not so bad, you just have to get used to them. I do paln on replacing them but they did ok on some pretty deep snow.

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info guys!!

14. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    as a frequent mountain driver,
    always carry chains, and practice putting them on before you need them -
    ( chains go on the drive wheels)
    ez chains or wire are great for cars -
    go with real, chain link style -
    I actually chained up all four wheel once, in my 2 wheel drive dodge ram - it was a tank !
    I now have 4x and have not needed to even show them - but, their in the truck from November - June

15. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    If you take the southern route, through AZ, NM, TX, LA, AL, and so on, you shouldn't run into any problems. The only place that might be a problem is around Flagstaff, AZ. I'd carry a set of regular chains just in case, but you probably won't need them going this route. Just be aware that running chains or cables on dry pavement, or even a little bit of snow will damage tires as they will dig into the tread.

16. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    cbettner66

cbettner66 Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Trd Off-Road
    Easiest thing to do would be to put it into 4wd and drive slow - but since you dont have 4wd I would say to put some extra weight in the back of your truck to give you more traction and just drive slow. I always buy a few bags of sand and put them in the bed on top of the wheels every winter and change to 4wd and i've never had a problem. Hit up any Home Depot in PA during the winter and they will have tubes of sand that you can buy for that exact purpose. I think it cost me $20 last winter. But tire chains aren't a horrible idea either if you want to be safe.

17. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    keep in mind if you ever have to put chains on they are NOT meant for highway speeds. they can blow apart and cause some serious damage.

18. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    You really should be fine without chains or anything. We dont get that much snow in KY before January. And usually anything that we do get can be handled with a 2wd truck. Just make your you have some weight in your bed or you will do what I did and do a 360 on the interstate. As long as you take you time (I wasn't) 2wd should be fine.

19. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    i was in idaho last year and I never had any problems in the snow. just make sure and take your time, dont accel through turns, and as stated before, grab some chains before the trip, and have a good jack on hand. the ones that come with the truck are garbage!

20. Oct 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I always see this happen too...improper mounting of chains and the chains comes loose they start hitting the fenders and ripping body parts off while driving down the highway...

like M2M said...practice installing the chains prior to attempting them on the side of the road...

Products Discussed in

To Top