1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 5ZFE - 85 vs 87 octane?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by DC2NoVA, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Feb 16, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    DC2NoVA

DC2NoVA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Originally from east coast, where I've generally filled up with 87 octane. I've noticed Denver/CO has 85/87/91? I've been filling up with 87 since arriving, but what's everyone filling up with? 85/87?

2. Feb 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    At that elevation you can probably get away with 85, thats why its usually only offered at higher elevations

Closer to sea level you won't see anything under 87

Speedytech7 likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    If you're at elevation as Denver is the air is thin enough to use 85 where 87 is called for in other climates

4. Feb 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    TacoRated

TacoRated Do the chickens have large talons?

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR
    High speed, special purpose duct-tape noise cancellation LCAs. Redline Tuning hood struts Hefty Fabworks Rock Sliders Trifold Bed Cover TRD Pro Grille
    Not every place in Colorado has 85, but yes, most do have 85/87/91. I've always filled up with 87 and I'd recommend you run a few tanks on each and see which you prefer. I'm at about 6,000 feet.

5. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Running lower octane gasoline than what the manufacturer requires at high elevation works great for carbureted vehicles and people keep thinking that it's the same for fuel-injected vehicles.

FWIW: My wife's 2000 Wrangler TJ takes 87. I did not know this for a few years with her, her dad says to always use the lower octane gasoline, 85, living at 7000' for the Jeep as it will start and run better, etc. It stumbled on startup and did not run smoothly. I did plug, cap, wires, fuel, and air filters, and both O2 sensors. The condition did not improve. I recorded what I did in the owner's manual and read that Jeep says 87 gasoline. It was close enough to empty so I filled it with 87 and then drove it for an hour. Ever since then the Jeep starts right up, smoother power delivery and the tank trip mileage has gone up.
    Her dad hates to be wrong, he worked in the Pentagon for 30 years and knows an unnaturally high amount of facts. He now fills up with what the manufacturer says for octane on his FI vehicles and says he get better results.

Your results may vary.

cosmic65charlie likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Using higher octane than recommended does not seem to enhance anything for many FI vehicles I have driven at elevation, even the pump 102+ octane Shell gasoline in Phoenix Az in the mid 1990s when I was auto crossing my '84 Rabbit GTI when I lived in Flagstaff.
    I have heard that the higher octane gasoline burns "cooler", but I got no proof.

7. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Only advantage to higher octane is if you're running forced induction, on a naturally aspirated engine it's just spending more $ than necessary. Although some FI vehicles can run lower octane because the ECU will adjust for it. Not on these trucks though.

This thread is gonna turn into a 87 vs 91 debate now, get ready

eurowner likes this.
  8. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    GO!
    bent.jpg

eon_blue[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    85 though I’ll switch after new tune. I’ve always ran 85 even when we lived at 9200 feet. My Jeep went from a 2-barrel carb to EFI and in both cases ran 85 without issue.

Just comes down to fuel/air mixture and point of combustion.

10. Feb 16, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    thefatkid

thefatkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 thingy
    Knock correction on modern EFI vehicles means you can run about any octane gas found anywhere in the states.

Knock correction on Toyota vehicles will keep the timing at maximum advance given the fuel octane level within programming limitations.

On my 5vz I noticed a very narrow range of knock correction. There was little to no base timing advance from 87 to 91. 85 was common to still make noise on hot summer days. I ran 85 in the winter and 87 in the summer until I was supercharged. This was on all my 5vz powered vehicles (over 7).

My early (00)Tundra 2uz would have noticeable running differences in octane level. Base timing would advance with each increase in octane level. None of the octane levels had drivability issues. I would run 91 whenever I could as I noted the best fuel mileage and power. Conversely my 03 4runner v8, 05 Tundra didn't net any value change over 87. 85 in both of those had a small decrease in fuel mileage, almost not noticeable. Ran them both at 85 almost every tank.

The 5.7 Tundra doesn't like 85. When hot I can get a tiny bit of audible noise and the fuel mileage drop is about 1mpg (13 to 12). Haven't got around to trying 91, once I stop using the remote start so much I might.

TLDR, run them all. If you get ping, bump up. If 91 nets no benefit drop down to 87 or even lower. Running "Top Tier" fuels will likely be your biggest drivability difference that you'll notice.

Products Discussed in

To Top