1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 v6 Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra, motor, engine low miles wanted,

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (1995-2004)' started by 1997tacomav6, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    OneWheelPeel

OneWheelPeel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    You have one of the highest mileage tacomas on here! Thats pretty amazing.

You also have the most threads about your highest mileage tacoma, thats pretty amazing.

1997tacomav6[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 [OP] V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    I want people to know if you take care of your truck even supercharged engine like mine, it will last a long long long time. It's not about the miles, it's about how the truck is taken care of including the paint, my paint is original except for the hood because I added a hood scoop,

IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    COMAtized99 likes this.
  3. Oct 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM
    3rYODA

3rYODA Don’t sell to me, I don’t pay.

Member:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 white 4x4 TRD
    Fox 2.5’s up front, icon 2.0 rear shocks, stock leafs, !Meso map and dome lights make all the difference in the world!
    I always thought you'd have to own the engine from new to have it last for ever my 3.4 lasted 304k I've seen some last 175k idk i always thought it has somthing to do with the way you treat your engine for the first 100k miles or so ? Any feed back?

4. Oct 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The 3.4 motor is a bullet proof motor. The bottom end of the engine will last forever if taken care of and is made of cast iron. The problem with the 3.4 motor if there is a problem are the heads.
    They are made of aluminum. So the problem is that if the coolant is not changed on regular basis , rust from the engine as it's cast-iron in time will damage the heads by the water jacket holes becoming
    enlarged and wear into the combustion area and you end up breaking the seal on your head gasket,
    also the heat cycle of hot and cold has a tendency of causing cracks in the cylinder head just like taking a piece of wire and bending it back-and-forth and then it breaks so as long as the oil has been changed on the regular basis and the antifreeze has been changed on a regular basis the motor should last for a long long time ,but with a used motor or used vehicle you don't know what the prior owner has done

5. Oct 2, 2016 at 11:11 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    @1997tacomav6 you have any pinging issues at all with your 3.4l and the trd s/c? I can't remember reading if you had the 7th injector or not.

Speaking of the 3.4l's long term reliability, I'm concerned the occasional bad pinging I'm getting is going to cut my motor's life short.

6. Oct 3, 2016 at 6:16 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    The 1997 motor pinged all the time in the usual spots with the 2.1 pulley, so I had to keep my rpms up, but was not a big issue and lasted 480,000, Had a blowed head gasket and was from the heads, both had cracks on them from age probably, The 3.4 motors from what I see here on TW are typically getting a blown head gasket around the 400 to 500,000 marker. The heads are the week spot for the 3.4 motor, not the bottom end, maybe because the heads are made of Aluminum and the block is made of iron. So At that many miles is cheaper and better to just replace with a low mileage used engine, cuz good chance the heads are shot like mine. I paid 1500.00 for my engine still in the truck running, did a car fax to document the miles of 100,000 and came with ALL the attached parts from power steering pump to the alternator along with the wiring harness and the computer, throttle body. If you make it to that many miles is easier to reseal
    the new motor, replace all the belts, Pulleys, Bearings for timing belt, new valve cover gaskets, front and rear main seals, new clutch, etc as the engine will be out of the truck, All that stuff
    that we put off doing.
    The 2004 motor has zero
    ping issues with the 2.1 pulley, but I'm at 6000 feet or so, boost shows around 8 pounds on my guage, at sea level it would be more and maybe mine would ping at sea level, not sure.
    No 7th injector, listen below, Zero ping

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TAc7AHzn9-s

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Oct 3, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    99SuperTaco4x4

99SuperTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    1999 3.4L V6 Tacoma, 4x4, TRD Supercharger
    Running the S/C here with no ping. Ik22s (gapped to ~0.043, they came around 0.022 i think, all 6 were no where close to 0.043). No other mods to the engine (no 7th injector, no 2.1)

eon_blue likes this.
  8. Oct 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Yeah I'm thinking I may need to upgrade my plugs (again). Just had IK20 iridiums put in but I should've gone with IK22.

I'm relatively close to sea level so that may also have something to do with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top