1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4L engine swap donor vehicle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by acropolis, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    acropolis

acropolis [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma Xtracab LX 2wd
    Greetings All!

I have been considering some sort of engine swap into my 1995 Tacoma XtraCab base 2wd (5-lug) with the 2.4L and an automatic. There are several good threads on a 5VZ 6-cyl swap and even a couple on a 2UZ 8-cyl swap. As luck would have it, I can get a running '98 4Runner 2WD (6-lug) for about $400. It's pretty rough cosmetically and needs cats and a steering rack. However, the drivetrain purrs like a kitten all the way to redline. Is this 4Runner a good swap candidate for my '95 base Taco? Can I use the wiring harnesses and ECU? How about the suspension components?

2. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    Xbeaus

Xbeaus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Black hills South dakota
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 3.4 5 speed SR5 limited TRD 4x4
    Toytec coilovers. Height adjustable Bilstein's. 265/75/16 MT. TRD wheels. Rebuilt r150f. Marlin clutch kit. All kinds of new parts...
    If you can do all the work yourself and the tools to do it anything is possible. You will have to do some custom work but it's very possible. I am going to put a 3.4 into my 83 that has the carby 22R. There are also a few sites that document how others have done it. This helps tremendously as it leaves out the guess-work. Google some info on someone that has done it and there is bound to be a write-up.

Products Discussed in

To Top