1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4L supercharger

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CHMM, Sep 14, 2019.

1. May 28, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    Shortman5

Shortman5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    I’m about to switch over to these to see how the run NGK 92400. They’re specifically designed for forced induction.

2. May 30, 2020 at 5:47 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    @Shortman5 has some information on this

3. May 30, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    Pulley on backwards turn it around. I have JBA headers I’m running the 2” and get 11.2 Pretty regularly... 12.2 on a nice cool humid day. And I’m at a mile high in Denver.

BTW...I keep snapping a bolt on the driver side of my JBA headers where it connects to the cross pipe...ugh!
    Any issues with that on yours?

Ask @1997tacomav6 about your seal

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. May 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Finally got my hands on a PC laptop. I need to buy the SplitSecond R4 program to mess with my 7th injector tuning, right?

5. May 30, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    Did you buy it from URD?

6. May 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    The program or the 7th? I bought the 7th from them.

7. May 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    Email info@URD. Include your order number for the 7th and they will send it to you.

8. May 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Oh great, thank you!

9. May 30, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    What’s the size of the pipe in and out?

10. May 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    It’s hard to say man. It’s highly debated. I have not had any issues and 3 oil tests haven’t showed any abnormal wear. and as far as I can tell nobody has posted anything on a failure after installing a light weight crank pulley on a 3.4l. And the 4.0 guys are starting to run them as well with no issues so far that I’ve seen.

But if you run it it’s on you. I’m not going to recommend it to anyone.

Ccrowe323[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 30, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    Ccrowe323

Ccrowe323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 3.4 DC 5speed TRD OR
    Right on man thanks for the reply. I ended up just going for an OEM on rock auto. Didn’t really care for the performance side so didn’t see a need for it.

12. May 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    austinmtb

austinmtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    You know, I did have to replace a bolt at that connection awhile back but I just figured it rattled out.

Rldanie[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 31, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    StophinHousen

StophinHousen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota 4runner 5vz
    One Spinni whinney boi
    Funny enough did this exact job during COVID, strip the same bolt. The bolt I got with the tensioner seem to just barely grab the threads and once i stripped it, it went down hill from there. I eventually Helicoiled the engine (you can do it without removing the condenser on a 4r) and made a stud and bolt for the tension er as the one with the kit just grabbed a little bit of threads and seem to be wrong. Nice thing with a stud is i could red locktite the helicoil and stud and still be able to remove the tension er for service. Im not a big fan of the fix (I used a long bolt from a bmw engine and tapped the threads for the nut) but it has held well for a month now with no signs of getting loose.

Rldanie likes this.
  14. May 31, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    It’s a common problem from want I’ve heard

Did you turn your pulley around?

15. May 31, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Glad I wasn’t the only unlucky fella to have to Helicoil that hole! I just ordered replacement bolts though.

16. Jun 1, 2020 at 12:27 AM
    austinmtb

austinmtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    I did, but I didn't like how it was looking so I just threw my old URD pulley on for now until I can call pulley boys and figure out whats going on.

It's not as obvious in the picture as it is in person, but with the pulley flipped around it's not in alignment with the engine pulleys. It looks like the belt could get ejected off. The original way I had it seems to match how the URD pulley is, but like I said it comes in contact with the nose of the supercharger. Also, when I put my old URD pulley on I didn't have any alignment or contact issues. Seems like a small spacer would do the trick.

Pulley flipped around:

You can kinda see how the belt is pulled at an angle and favoring one side of the dynamic tensioner idler.
    IMG_9441.jpg

17. Jun 1, 2020 at 4:47 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    They sell a spacer, you might need that for your application

austinmtb[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 1, 2020 at 6:37 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    Are 1st gen (grey) super chargers worth installing. I don't know jack about super chargers. What's a fair price for one?

19. Jun 1, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The gray supercharger is the 1st model.

They perform the same as the new superchargers,

Some parts are harder to get if needed so they sell for a little less, but they can be ported inside so you can actually get more power if you wanted.

20. Jun 1, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    Well I watched a 78k mile 2nd gen sell for 2k in 3 hours this weekend. I don't need one that bad but if I can get one for a good deal then I will. How much does porting help. Do all the urd mods work with it?

Products Discussed in

To Top