1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4L TRD Supercharger rebuild

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SupraT, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    You won’t tell any difference,

But with that much wear to the coating your right around the corner for a full rebuild.

That much coating wear usually is showing at close to 100,000 miles.

2. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I was pulling the snout to rebuild it. Pulled the rotor and discovered this. Is there anything else to rebuild besides the snout and rotor coating? (I have the needle bearings for rotor also).

3. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    robblacktpre03

robblacktpre03 03 Tacoma Restore time

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 black pre runner
    k&n air filter, throttle body spacer, all pro UCA, 07 gun metal TRD FJ rims, blacked out interior trim
    I just starting rebuilding mine and I have the same problem. I contacted a few companies waiting on a call back for prices and time lines

4. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    You need to do a full rebuild with that much wear showing,
    It much better to do it now rather then wait for a bearing to fail and mess up other parts.

5. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    What bearings? In the rotor?

6. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    robblacktpre03

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 black pre runner
    k&n air filter, throttle body spacer, all pro UCA, 07 gun metal TRD FJ rims, blacked out interior trim
    I replaced everything and I'm looking to send my rotary assembly in

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  7. Jul 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    1) snout Bearings and seals
    2) rotor pack bearings
    3) needle bearings
    4) rotor pack seals 65.00
    5) snout nose seal
    6) rotor plate if damaged, this is common and needs to be replaced
    7) rotors coated

Around 200-300 for parts depending plus coating

8. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    robblacktpre03

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 black pre runner
    There is a kit below that works great if you're handy or trust yourself and have the tools that will save some of the cost

9. May 17, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    FlyingDhutchman

FlyingDhutchman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Gen1 Taco
    Hey y'all. This is my first post here on TW and i just finished reading this entire thread, so please forgive me if i am still missing information already present somewhere herein. I just bought a gen1 supercharger used off of a fellow here in CO and am attempting to rebuild before installing. I have a few potentially stupid questions that I hope you will indulge:

1) When i pressed the main shaft out of the nosecone, It fell thru the box I was holding under the press and rolled on the floor. I did not *find* a spring like the one pictured in the initial post(s) of this thread... do these older gen1 (two-piece) superchargers not include that spring inside the nosecone? I spoke to someone at an SC shop who said that "some did and some didnt"

2) It looks like I am going to need to completely separate the blower (i think?) portion from the intake, etc. in order to press/hammer out the needle bearings behind the rotor assembly, is this correct? (there are two pieces that support the upper portion that is mounted atop the blower, here, occluding where it looks like these needle bearings sit, so i dont imagine they can be backed out without first removing this?

3) any tips for removing the rotor plate from the housing into which it was bolted by the nosecone bolts? Unlike later generations, this SC does not have any kind of leverage points built into the outer surface of the rotor plate, the way the nosecone's outer surface has such places to place a pry-bar. I know there was a post a bunch of pages back asking about this, so just wondering if there is any better technique than just kinda banging on it with a mallet to try to loosen it up some. The picture in this post also seemed to reinforce my interpretation regarding #2, above...

This SC came with 7th injector kit, fuel pump, etc. My plan is to replace all the bearings (and seal) in the nosecone, along with the aforementioned needle bearings behind the rotor assembly, and then reassemble, refill, and install along with the new fuel pump and new (colder) spark plugs. If the rotor coating looks seriously warn, i might send that in for re-coating. Is there anything I am overlooking? Does anyone have a shop here in CO that they recommend? it seems like @1997tacomav6 has been sending off to that shop in MO, despite living here, so I am assuming probably not?

Thanks a ton in advance and apologies if i missed one of these questions being answered somewhere previously!

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  10. May 18, 2021 at 12:17 AM
    TacoBike

TacoBike The Researcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Shingle Springs, California
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4 Ext Cab TRD 4x4 with original SC
    ARP head studs Supercharger FIC6 AFR gauge painted fenders audio install
    Don't know about the gen 1 supercharger specific stuff, pictures might help, but what i can say is be very careful when removing the rotor playe. The aluminum as a very soft material and dents easily. Even with the pieces to get leverage on, I was worried about the casing on mine. You might be able to go in from the outlet on the blower with a brass rod to push it out as a resort if you are really careful, but you run the risk of marring the inside of the case.

11. May 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    The problem for you or a local mechanic is the rotor pack bearings and the way they are held in place for the 1st gen
    and the timing of the rotors. Everything else is easy.

If these two areas are not done correctly you will have problems with your rebuild.
    Normally a supercharger rebuilder has a jig to do the setup. The tolerance on the rotor timing is paper thin.

I’ve heard some of the supercharger rebuilding companies are 6 months behind or more

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  12. May 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    FlyingDhutchman

FlyingDhutchman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Gen1 Taco

Thanks a ton for the replies! @1997tacomav6 can you say more about the first part? Rebuild info on these 1st gen chargers is relatively scant, compared to later models, and I really appreciate whatever info you can provide! Like you, I am also here in Denver, so if there is someone local you'd recommend, please let me know :) I really have two main follow-up questions:

1) Do i need to worry about the timing, etc. If i am not taking the rotor pack/assembly apart, but merely removing it to replace the needle bearings behind it?
    2) this SC came fresh off the sellers truck, and he said it runs great and very quietly but is nearly due for a rebuild based on mileage (just under 100k according to him). In light of this, and given that I am not a high-mileage driver (work from home and in warm weather ride a motorcycle most of the time), should I perhaps just slap this thing on and give it a go without messing with the rotor ass'y or needle bearings behind it, for now? It sounds like, after the first install, removing or reinstalling it isnt terribly much of a hassle? The oil did stink horribly, so I could just do the nosecone rebuild, since i already have it off, and put new oil in it, and then install it and see how she runs.... thoughts?

FWIW, my motor is a factory refurb (v6) that i've only put about 7k miles on. Auto trans.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  13. May 18, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    PM and we can talk on the phone

14. May 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM
    thereggierock

thereggierock Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    So, does anyone regret slapping a supercharger on their truck?
    I'm thinking of picking up a new SC and 7th injector from URD, but I'm still a bit hesitant.
    I'm mostly worried about reliability since I'll be going to some pretty remote places. Of course, I'll be keeping up with the proper maintenance.
    Do I really have anything to worry about?

15. May 22, 2021 at 1:13 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I saw on another thread your truck has 95,000 miles. It should be good.

Just make sure your relevant fluids and filters are fresh.
    Maybe do a compression test.
    If you have an automatic transmission consider adding an additional transmission cooler too.

Edit: I put my SC in at 248,000 miles. Sinc then I’ve gone from the SF Bay Area to Baja and back then New Mexico and back and Just finished a 31 day trip through all the states that border Nevada. Most of it was super remote. Remote enough I used my 19 gallon auxiliary fuel tank a whole lot.
    The supercharger was never a concern for me. But that’s just me, right?

16. May 22, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    thereggierock

thereggierock Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    Thanks for the tips. I've heard nothing but good things from those who have one.
    Are there any other brands to consider besides URD? They seem to include the most parts in their kit.

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  17. May 22, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Alot of people have problems getting the tune done correctly tho

18. Sep 10, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    I was starting to notice a bearing "growl" noise coming from my black 2nd gen SC, so I pulled the nose cone off and rebuilt it with new bearings and the seal. Put it back together and am still getting a pretty good growl especially as the RPMs increase. I guess I need to pull it back apart and do the back needle bearings huh?
    Are those two bearings the only others in there? It seems theres got to be some bearings at the front of the rotors, no?

19. Sep 10, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    You need to replace ALL the bearings,
    Nose,
    Rotor pack bearings
    Needle bearings,
    The rotor pack bearings are the hardest and you probably will need to time the rotors after replacing them

mtnkid85[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    bmwahba

bmwahba Well-Known Member

Member:
    which ones are the "rotor pack bearings" ?

Products Discussed in

To Top